Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Disappearing Celebrities
  • SaxonRider

With the current thread on Fearne Cotton, I couldn’t help but wonder what happens to those fairly talentless celebrities who seem to be big for awhile, then disappear.

When I first moved to the UK, for example, Jayne Middemiss – a former ‘Page 3 girl’ (ugh) – but seemingly nice person with the best accent – was everywhere. Now, she is nowhere.

Then there were all those presenters who did the property shows, and others.

What happens to these people? I mean, it’s not like, having been on tv, they can just drop out and get a job at the corner shop. But some really seem to fall off the radar.

RustySpanner

They choose another user name and carry on as usual.
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I mean, it’s not like, having been on tv, they can just drop out and get a job at the corner shop.

They do sometimes. Apparently Geoffrey from Rainbow (you probably don’t know him) drives a taxi now.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Joe Cocker used to be quite popular.

Don’t hear about him so much these days.

Wonder what he’s up to?

the-muffin-man

Some choose to disappear – others have a shelf life and are right for the time.

John Deacon from Queen is barely seen in public.

And Simon Groom (Blue Peter) was everywhere when I was a kid – but he went back to farming and is doing rather well at it.

Harry_the_Spider

Nick Hancock?

Drac

Big Brother.

An ex-colleague of my dad was good friend’s Jayne Middlemiss apparently she is lovely.

verses

Bob Carolgees runs a Candle shop…

His website is properly 90’s Geocities style. Almost as good as Lings Cars…

http://www.carolgeescandles.com/index.php

mickmcd
    Free Member

need to spend more time over on “OK” Mags website…… all these things are covere

brakes
    Free Member

– commercial / local radio / tv
    – opening / closing stuff / events
    – living off their earnings / investments

jekkyl

John Deacon smashed his precision bass at the end of the Freddie concert and said Queen was dead or somesuch I think I read. Would love it if he wrote an autobiog though, warts n all.

We’ve gotta have a brainstorm of names now.

How about Gary Wilmot?
    Russ Abbott.

RustySpanner

Saw Gary Wilmot playing Fagin in Oliver a few years ago.

He was very good.

Drac

Michael Barrymore.

molgrips
    Free Member

People like Russ Abbott were pretty big and are now getting on, so they presumably made enough money to retire like normal people do.

Gary Wilmot is a better example. Apparently has been a stage actor the whole time.

OP – are you aware of the Internet?

jekkyl

Andy Crane. from the bbc broom cupboard.

SaxonRider

OP – are you aware of the Internet?

Pretty much just this place. Oh, and the GCN show.

egb81
    Free Member

Michael Barrymore.

He’s got a new sitcom apparently.

ton

mike yarwood. top 70’s Saturday night entertainment

lucky7500

Generally, ‘celebrity’ is fleeting and there is most likely a fairly long queue of media trained people coming up behind the current faces at any given time. I suspect that anyone in the spotlight has to do as much as possible as quickly as possible before they become too old / unreliable / are no longer attractive enough / a more ‘relevant’ person appears etc. I would imagine that some are lucky and / or financially savvy enough to be able to pretty much retire on what they made in the good times topped up with occasional lower profile work. There certainly seem to be an awful lot of ‘brand ambassadors’ who get paid a surprising amount to apparently do very little these days. Otherwise most will still be working in all sorts of walks of life. An awful lot of band biographies that I read seem to end with one time major players in various alternative music scenes now working in run of the mill nine to five jobs, and I’d imagine that it is probably the same for a lot of short lived minor celebrities.

perchypanther
    Free Member

An awful lot of band biographies that I read seem to end with one time major players in various alternative music scenes now working in run of the mill nine to five jobs,

Not all… some of them move to Spain and sneer at people on t’internet.

jekkyl

MC Hammer.
    The members of Musical Youth and Five Star.
    John Leslie.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thinking about this, I can only speculate as to why Jim Davidson isn’t on this list. He bloody should be.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Michael Barrymore

Recently won damages from Essex Police..

Barrymore wins damages

jekkyl

Chris Tarrant.
    That comedian who used to say chase me. Duncan something?
    Lee Evans.

maccruiskeen

But some really seem to fall off the radar.

Some people move from national to regional TV, so can seem to disappear if you’re not in that region

There are other jobs in TV other than being in front of the camera – some might own (or own stakes in) production companies. ^ Chris Tarrant for example ^

But some can move into crew work – I work from time to time with a former soap actor who’s now a script supervisor.

Apparently Geoffrey from Rainbow (you probably don’t know him) drives a taxi now.

It used to be the case that work in children’s telly pretty much torpedo’d you’re career – he’d been a pretty busy jobbing actor until he took that role, but its difficult to be cast in anything serious afterwards. Presenters now seem to be able to make the jump from kids to adult TV, not sure if actors/performers can though.

bodgy
    Free Member

‘Ooooh, what did happen to that nice girl off the telly?’

Christ, it’s more like a geriatrics tea-party every day around here.

Kryton57

Whilst researching this subject I was pleased to learn that Basil Brush has his own Wikipedia page.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most shocking thing on Geoffrey’s wiki page is that Rainbow was still on in 1992!

RustySpanner

ton – Member

Dementia, I think.

Tom O’Connor is back on the radio.
    Has made a fortune on the cruise liner circuit apparantly.

maccruiskeen

Blame Thatcher. His USP was impersonating Prime Ministers – if she’s smoked a pipe he’d still be on telly. 🙂

jekkyl

Bungle from rainbow

Wasn’t he done for cocaine trafficing. Last I heard.

maccruiskeen

Most shocking thing on Geoffrey’s wiki page is that Rainbow was still on in 1992!

Far from the most shocking thing about Rainbow though

lucky7500

Not all… some of them move to Spain and sneer at people on t’internet.

🙂

scuttler

Straight outta Viz!

Carolgees Candles offers top tips for candle operation and maintenance, complete with a mini Bob Carolgees bullet point

“If your candles begin to look a little dusty or grubby make a ball of old tights or stockings and rub the candles briskly. This will restore their sheen.”

http://www.carolgeescandles.com/tips.php

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hora?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure a lot of the celebs mentioned still get work for at least three or four weeks each year…

Maybe not Joe Cocker though.

outofbreath
    Free Member

‘Zammo’ frm Grange Hill runs a Timpsons Branch doing key cutting etc.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Russ Field, one of the founding members of Showaddywaddy, runs a B&B.

This one. I’m quite jealous.

DezB
    Free Member

What happens to these people?

The sort of people who care about these things would probably avidly read a weekly magazine, sort of a partner magazine to Heat. Maybe called Gone Cold or Goodbye or something. You should start one, you’d be a millionaire.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Disappearing Celebrities’ is closed to new replies.