Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dirty Jo Frames – any experience/opinions?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Looking to buy a race hardtail for later in the year and had pretty much decided on the women's specific Kinesis (link), but then came across the dirty Jo triple butted frame for just £99

They seem like awesome value for the weight (only 100-150 heavier than the Kinesis) and geometry wise look like they'd be a good fit for me.

Has anyone had any experience of these frames though? How do they ride? How do reckon it would compare to the Kinesis?

Any advice would be greatly received! Cheers!

tinsy
    Free Member

Theyre great, especially at the price, the paint finish isnt super tough though but at under a ton what can you expect…… I think you can get it branded as brand X from CRC & also as Handsomedog.

Would you like to see the in action shot, or the leaning up against things picture?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool, thanks Tinsy. Yeah bring on the "in action" shots!

Oh and the leaning against stuff ones too! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Wonders about doing a google search for "Dirty Jo in action"*

*Thinks perhaps it would be better not to*

tinsy
    Free Member

Sorry about the Lycra!!

about 20 seconds after putting it together.

mboy
    Free Member

tinsy

What size is yours, and what is the "effective" top tube length on it?

Just looking at one of these frames for a friend currently, but wondering if it might come up a little short…

oldgit
    Free Member

My lads got a Semi-creme and it's built into a fine light bike.
    Although ours had a disc mount the guides were all for cables. So I assumed they're up dated old stuff?

tinsy
    Free Member

It was shorter top tube than an On one, all the bits got swapped onto an on one and the reach was about the same but running a 100mm stem on the DJ and a 70mm on the on one… Thats normal as On Ones are longer TT than most.

I would say the top tube is right on the money with most manufacturers, it was a medium 18" and the geometry matched my medium spesh stumpjumper FSR almost exactly (I did lots and lots of nerdy tedious measuring to get the 2 bikes to have virtualy the same riding position)/ seat to crank and seat to bar ratio.

Oldgit, I opened out the top tube guides to accept the hydro hose.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Wicked pics Tinsy! It does look like a lovely little frame.

(And Captainflash – good decision!)

MaverickBoy – I emailed them about geometry for their xs and s sizes and got a very prompt response. I liked that a lot.

turboferret

I can confirm that a google image search for "Dirty Jo in action" isn't recommended to be done at work 😆

mboy
    Free Member

OK MM

Have emailed them about the medium…

Incidentally, what did they tell you geometry wise about the small and XS sizes?

mboy
    Free Member

It was shorter top tube than an On one, all the bits got swapped onto an on one and the reach was about the same but running a 100mm stem on the DJ and a 70mm on the on one… Thats normal as On Ones are longer TT than most.

Are you comparing that with an 18" On One?

tinsy
    Free Member

Yes sorry, an 18" on one….

tinsy
    Free Member

Before you splash your hard earned on it… this is the same frame Handsomedog branding. £70 Damn no 18" left!!!

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/101739.html

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

MaverickBoy – cool, they said that the xs had an effective TT of 20.5" and the small 21". He said that women between 5'3" – 5'6" tend to suit the small frames.

It'll be a new experience for me not buying the smallest frame a manufacturer makes! 🙂

Still, I've just emailed him again to ask some pedantic questions about head and seat angles and whether they have different tube sets for the different sized bikes or just one… poor guy… 🙄

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Tinsy – is it though? How do you know?

tinsy
    Free Member

mountainmonkey, do check that link to allterrain then… They ride absolutely great nice and forgiving but transfer anything you got left in your legs to forward motion nicely.

I have studdied it as closely as humanly possible via the internerd… Its the same as is the Brand X at CRC. their is also the semi creme thats not tripple butted on CRC under the brand X tag, dont confuse them (dropouts are the giveaway).

Its a far eastern frame that a few different people bring in under theyre own banner thats all..

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ah ok – it just seems a bit confusing as the Brand X geometry chart on the CRC website, gives quite different measurements to those provided by the guy from Dirty Jo (though they do seem more 'normal'). Think I'll ask Dirty Jo for a proper geometry chart as I want to make sure I get the right size.

Is it wrong to want the Dirty Jo and pay £30 more just because it's in shiny silver? 🙄

Oh and out of interest – what other xc frames have you ridden Tinsy (or anyone else) and how do they compare to these? Cheers!

tinsy
    Free Member

I have had 2 on ones since, I swapped to a Ti inbred (not 456) from the DJ, to be honest other than the Ti looking the buisness, if I was blindfolded I dont think I could have told the difference. Running a Scandal now dont notice much difference to that from the Ti frame as its the same geometry and weight anyhow, so what do I know…. I am of the opinion their is quite a lot of tosh talked about frame ride etc… I was faster on the Dirty Jo, I was fitter then, its the rider not the bike.

Bikes tend to have a huge old seatpost flexing about some great big soft rubberthings on the wheels, rekon its hard to tell toomuch through all that, yet I can tell if I got a puncture!

PS buy the one you like the look of, you have to live with it. 8)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my ex's

lovely little bike 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool, that's interesting. I know what you mean – there are a lot of variables before you get to the frame. That being said I definitely noticed the difference between my cheap alu giant and the 853 rock lobster that replaced it – but that giant was a proper spine-jarer!

If you haven't noticed a difference then it can't be too bad, can it?!

Glad you agree that pretty bikes are worth a little extra cash 😉

taka
    Free Member

ive had 2 18" semi-creme's one in red and one in black both felt nice to ride not much different to more exspensive frames coustomer service is good too 😉

tom

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

That's good to hear. Being a Devon girl originally I like the idea of supporting a local company!

mboy
    Free Member

What you intending to build it up with MM?

I'm considering these cos they're V brake compatible too, but if you already know you're going down the disc brake route, perhaps check out the BeOne Karma frames on CRC right now, the 15" frame should suit you probably… I'd have ordered a 17" already for my friend I reckon if they could take V's, discs is another expense that wouldn't really be worth it for her.

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but I get a bit lost comparing top tubes and sizing – can anyone tell me their height and what size Semi Creme they ride to guide me – have a hankering for a winter build project….

taka
    Free Member

im 6ft 1 riding a large

😉

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers – I was hoping for someone nearer 5'9" though!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dirty Jo Frames – any experience/opinions?’ is closed to new replies.