Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dirtbag van adventure tips.
  • In a few weeks my other half is off visiting family in the US so I’ve decided to hire a van and go play in the lakes and various other places. I’ll be climbing, riding and fellrunning mostly, and Ideally I’d like to just dirtbag it and sleep in the van.

Anyone know any good spots for parking up and getting away with such a thing in the lakes? Or is anywhere out of the way doable? On the flipside are there any places to definitely avoid?

spooky_b329

Scenic spots carry the greatest risk of getting moved on, and if it’s a tarmac car park, local oiks testing their subwoofers and handbrakes at 11pm.

Better to spend the evening there and then move on to a night spot, supermarket car park or corner on a residential street (so you are not outside someone’s house). The posher the street the greater the risk of getting curtain twitchers.

Park where there is street lighting as any light inside the van is much less noticeable.

duncancallum

Look at a website called wild camping.

They have a reference of good spots

Mbnut
    Free Member

I spend a lot of time doing just this.

I tend to take the opposite approach to what Spook is saying, I steer clear of civilisation when plotting up.

I even have a 4m x 4m tarp I set up on the back of the van so I can sleep outside the van which I enjoy.

One thing I will say…. do not be tempted to sleep with the engine running no matter how cold you are… there have been some sad stories about how that can end.

A top tip is take some swimming trunks, I use local leisure centres for a shower and a swim when things get smelly.

As for actual spots in the Lakes, I can’t help there but I would imagine there are plenty.

Enjoy

porter_jamie

I have thought about this a bit. I have an industrial unit an a smallish estate and there are vans parked up all over. I think an estate would make a reasonable parking spot, with some caveats. Every now and then you get someone parking up trying to look inconspicuous. The way they park makes them conspicuous. Dont try and hide in a corner or out of the way. Hide in plain sight. Park where and how someone who is supposed to be there would park. I can tell straight away from how a vehicle is left if somethig odd is going on, because i am obviously very familiar with my estate. Go and drive around a local one to get a feel for it. I would go and scope out potential sites during the day when they are busy. You could park right in front of most buildings if you are planning on being away early as most folk start at 8.

ianfitz
    Free Member

One thing to be aware of is – does the back of the van have an inside handle! I do know someone who had to phone a friend to be let out…

Plenty of spots in the lakes to park up. Wardens/rangers are fairly relaxed about it if they see you are tidy, not playing loud music/lighting fires etc. if you are there for one night arriving late and leaving early you will have no trouble. There’s a few spots in the lakes that have ‘no overnight parking’ signs but hundreds of spots that don’t. I been on trips all over in various vans and campers for 20 years and had no trouble from anyone. Thinking about it must be 500 nights in that time!

bigmandh
    Free Member

Go to Scotland instead and you can stay where you want!

Look at a website called wild camping.
    They have a reference of good spots

hadn’t thought of that for vanning. I’ll take a look.

One thing to be aware of is – does the back of the van have an inside handle! I do know someone who had to phone a friend to be let out…

Ha! This I don’t know but it has definitely been playing on my mind! If it doesn’t, I have my tent, so there’s that.

Wardens/rangers are fairly relaxed about it if they see you are tidy, not playing loud music/lighting fires etc. if you are there for one night arriving late and leaving early you will have no trouble.

interesting you should say this – I am sort of one myself (don’t want to be too specific) and bump into wildcampers from time to time. Most of those interactions tend to be just this, but I didn’t know if that was just me – you can probably tell where my sympathies lie!

I been on trips all over in various vans and campers for 20 years and had no trouble from anyone. Thinking about it must be 500 nights in that time!

that’s super encouraging!

I’ve done this in the south of Spain before for a few month stretch of climbing, and the advice about avoiding scenic spots worked well. I don’t like the idea of parking up on an industrial estate, even though I realise that it’s a pretty sound strategy.might give it a gobifni have bad experience with the backnof beyond though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tidy box or two in the back to stuff things in. Rhyno bucket to have a stand up wash in. Min water tank so you don’t. Need to buy loads of water from super market.

Mini led battery bulb rather than a torch for inthe van. I prefer to hide in Plain sight, cinema car parks etc if near a town. But you do risk the SUb Woofer crowd, but rural car parks can be just the same with people pulling up for a quick splif. People never stay long.

Take toilet roll, a lighter, (to burn the paper) a small shovel or trowel and wet wipes.

Thanks brick! That’s some grade A stage 2 logistical planning sh*t 🙂

ianfitz
    Free Member

Also worth pointing out that many pubs are happy for you to park in car park over night if you’ve eaten and had a few drinks there.

Some places in the lakes I’ve parked up at are:

Newlands hause,
    buttermere valley – several locations
    By the river on the B’mere side of honnistor
    Several lay-bys next to ulswater on the paterdale road
    Big lay by near the bowder stone
    Skiddaw car park behind latrigg
    Some spots on the minor roads near grizedale
    The end of the Tarmac on the walna scar road. Coniston side.

All handy for running or riding 🙂

That’s good to know re: pubs. The I actually had honnister in mind as a spot to park up, by the river near the two big boulders – I think that’s where you mean, Ianfitz? Also know where you mean by the biwderstone too. Some great suggestions, thanks!

ianfitz
    Free Member

That’s the one. Parked there several times. That road is very quiet over night.

t-p26
    Free Member

Go to Europe…..the weather could be infinitely better,there are less “access Nazis”. You will be able to do all of the things you want, they even have lakes there, and it`ll be a good experience.

Olly
    Free Member

saw a guy get out of a standard Golf a week or so back. Just radiator foil bubble wrap on the windows, and a bouldering mat to sleep on. Could just use your car (if you have one, and its long enough for you)

scotroutes

t-p 26 – Member
    Go to Europe….

The Lake District is in Europe

Go to Europe…..the weather could be infinitely better,there are less “access Nazis”. You will be able to do all of the things you want, they even have lakes there, and it`ll be a good experience.

I had considered this, but it increases the price a fair amount (euro insurance on hire car, ferry, more mileage), and I’m meeting some friends at 2 points as well, which will be nice. As for the weather, well… fell running innit. 😀 Don’t have a car, Olly, otherwise I’d be taking it for sure!

The Lake District is in Europe

shiiiiiiiiiiit. I’m going to Europe, guys! :p

Matt_SS_xc

Take a very warm sleeping bag and clothes. A bare metal hire van will be very cold at night. I think a tent would be warmer.

postierich
    Free Member

Parked near Elterwater this weekend fairly quite even though it was the weekend The Brittania pub is great
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Eogu2z]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

RobHilton
    Free Member

Look at a website called wild camping

See also their offshoot: http://freemotorhominguk.boards.net

Splitters!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dirtbag van adventure tips.’ is closed to new replies.