Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • dirt school at Glentress or Cycle wise at Whinlatter – for coaching
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Decided I need some coaching, anyone have experience of either ?

Garry_Lager

I did the Dirt School jump course 2 last weekend with Andy Barlow. Thought it was very good – Andy in particular was excellent, great teacher. It was predominately set in the freeride park there, which was a good spot for it.

I did the course as someone with really no experience of getting the bike off the ground at all, and learned a lot. I still can't do much, but feel that I understand how it should be done and it's now a matter of practice. Put me on the right track.

There were a few others on the course who were a lot further along than me and Andy seemed to do a good job of tailoring the class to each rider's ability. I guess you'd need to hear what they thought of it though (I noticed one of them had MTFU written on his bike so it's possible he posts here). That's probably a strength of dirt school – the teachers are properly advanced riders so can cater for the full spectrum of abilities.

Drac

Ed is a good guy and by all means an awesome coach.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Does coaching actually provide any benefit? Not having a go, just wondering

I remember when I started riding jumps years ago, I just watched a few videos, learnt how to bunnyhop, and then just kept practicing, probably easier when your younger with more time on your hands though

All I remember is martin ashton once said 'practice, practice, practice' thats the only way you'll do it

Drac

A good coach will spot little things you didn't know you were doing wrong, plus probably teach you more in a day then practising of days can offer.

Smee
    Free Member

Whoever said practice makes perfect was wrong. Practice makes permanent.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, i guess thats the key, alot of people dont have the time on their hands to go out and practice every night after work or whatever.

I guess thats probably the difference between being able to jump and being able to do it smoothly/stylishly, more time on the bike n all that.

karnali
    Free Member

coaching for what in particular, did my mblwith cyclewise a few years back, rich and craig are both very good coaches and riders and it would be money well spent a coaching course they are running. On my assessment was chris balls, i think owns dirt school, a fantastic rider and the coaching session he ran on hs assessment was very good. I've never seen anyone dissapear so fast down walna scar as he did, made more impressive as he'd nev ridden it before. So i guess the courses he runs are pretty good as well

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘dirt school at Glentress or Cycle wise at Whinlatter – for coaching’ is closed to new replies.