• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dirt Jumping
  • rancid
    Free Member

So I feel like I need DJ bike – want to learn to jump properly / manual / pump track. I dont want to spend anymore than I have to, and haven’t got a clue on sizes etc? I’m 5 10. Anyone got any pointers on what I need to look for?
    Cheers

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Can’t help much but we have a Specialized P1 and a couple of Saracen Amplitudes. We just use them for our portable pumptrack. The P1 has an alloy frame so is a bit lighter but geometry wise I think they’re fairly similar, I’ll happily ride both. I think you can only get the P1 second hand now but there’s quite a few out there.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ll get this out of the way first, you don’t need a DJ bike to learn to jump/pump/trump. Most hardtails will do (as long as they have a fairly low standover). Just ditch the gears, slam the seat and set the forks up hard.

However, this being where it is, you probably have £2k to spend on a jump specific bike 😆

Size wise they are all pretty much the same. Makes no odds as they’re for jumping and not for sitting on 😀 . And don’t get sucked into all this geometry crap too, it makes eff all difference.

Steel or alu frame? – makes little difference. A light cro-mo frame feels better but costs more. Cheap steel is heavy but strong, cheap alu is fine (especially if you’ve never rode a good cro-mo frame)

There’s loads of mid-level bikes circa £500 that would all see you right. Weirdly some have gears, which you don’t want or need so if you get one of those, ditch the gears. Front brake isn’t need either. You want to strip off all the crap you don’t need to save weight and have less things to get tangled up with/break.

Forks don’t need to behave like a trail fork so forget plushness etc. Firm, one hit wonders are fine (you can use 80-100mm xc/trails forks adjusted to suit if you are smooth/t’awesome). Flat pedals obviously, pump your tyres up hard and that’s about it.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

having used various bikes at the local pump track a decent dj bike is the way to go.

this is mine 🙂

you will be fine on a standard length one at 5’10”

i’m 6’2″ and have a large or long frame.

eshershore
    Free Member

my last one

great little rig for dirt jumping, pump track and doing “stunts” down the freeride park

you can easily pick up a singlespeed dirt jump bike with strong cranks/wheels/fork for £500, you can use a small cross-country mtb but things will snap/fall off as you get more into your jumping.

rancid
    Free Member

Cheers for replies guys – Euro, definitely dont have 2k to spend (and wouldnt). Think more 200 or so to be honest. Just want something chuckable and in order to develop skills. Only been riding mtb 18 months and am 43 yrs old so don’t expect to be doing backflips at any time. Just want to develop so I can manage gap jumps at speed etc and ride the harder stuff. I do have a hardtail but it is built up for AM and is on the heavy / big side (though it manages a pump track ok).

nwmlarge
    Free Member

pick up something simple and single speed for ease of maintenance

Stevet1
    Free Member

What kind of stuff so you have access to ride? dirt jumps? Pump track? 4x track?
    I started learning to jump on my xc bike, then I bought a trailstar frame when they came out then finally saw the light and bought a BMX. Now on a 24″ DJ frame because I don’t get to practise often enough to feel confident on the 20″.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

BMX if you’re hard as nails and fully committed.

Dirt jump bike with sus forks if you’re a bit of a wuss 😉

David “hard as nails” Taylforth……

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for a BMX if you really want to learn.

I can jump relatively happily on an MTB, even a rigid one, I look like drunk Bambi on a BMX.

sharkattack

The most important question is do you have somewhere to go and ride on a regular basis? Our local indoor place shut down on the very day I picked mine up. Now I’ve got a mint bike and not a single spot to ride it at. People just don’t build trails around here anymore.

If you can get into it though it will have a transformative effect your riding. Being able to send gaps and maximize air time makes puts your trail riding and downhill well above the average. Sadly I haven’t felt the effects of that advantage for about ten years. Nothing more fun than going super high and nose diving into steep landings on proper trails.

Oh man I have to hit some jumps really badly.

wilko1999
    Free Member

What does send a gap mean out of interest? I’m quite happy clearing gaps on a BMX or MTB but what does sending one mean? And I’m not being facetious, I hear the expression a lot on the trails but I can ask on a forum with relative anonymity 😳

ps I’d recommend a BMX too – brought my jumping, pumping and fitness on immensely and you could find something bomb-proof with a relatively decent spec for £200

Stevet1
    Free Member

People just don’t build trails around here anymore.

Oh man I have to hit some jumps really badly.
    Then find a spot and get digging. Now while its still wet out.

What does send a gap mean out of interest? I’m quite happy clearing gaps on a BMX or MTB but what does sending one mean?

Pretty much the same as clearing it. I usually associate ‘sending it’ with either the first time you try a jump, or someone trying something above their skill level i.e. the outcome is not certain but you ‘send it’ anyway :metal fingers:

andysredmini
    Free Member

A friend just bought a dmr reptoid. I think it was around £400 so you may be able to find a second hand one for less. Looks good for the £££

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you could find something bomb-proof with a relatively decent spec for £200

Just sold mine to HTS for £100, regretting it, although not feeling guilty about not digging this winter!

sharkattack

Then find a spot and get digging. Now while its still wet out.

It’s so easy when you say it fast.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Yep I know it’s not as easy at that, and it takes months to even the smallest of sets ready to ride. And its hard when you’ve got family commitments and you’re digging on your own etc. But it’s so worth it in the end.
    Going out digging this lunchtime, and have done once or twice a week for the last 4 months to build a medium size 4 pack. Bring on Summer.

Edit – whereabouts are you sharky?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good work Steve; it’ll be worth the graft.

I used to dig for Britain, although I don’t bother anymore. Very satisfying once you’ve built something nice.

The last fun little hip to the moon I made.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Op – something like this would be good –
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1818161/
    £130, local pickup only though.

sharkattack

Edit – whereabouts are you sharky?

Back in the northeast caring for a sick parent. Got the north sea on one side and a 20 mile belt of housing estates on the other. Spent 30 years mining the place for riding opportunities and had more jumps flattened than I’ve had hot dinners. If I had access to a safe spot believe me I’d be out with the shovels. I love digging but I’m burned out on this place.

On a brighter note I picked up a wrecked Specialized P1 for 90 and restored it. it’s had a few trips to box tracks.

Oh and I rode bmx for years and you wouldn’t get me back on one. If you want the skills to transfer to a big bike just stick with big wheels. Ride a bmx if you want to learn to ride a bmx. For me I’m more interested in mtb and taking the skills to the trails.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Well if you’re ever over in the NW I can show you a few spots.

rancid
    Free Member

cheers for all the advice guys. Someone 20 miles or so away has a Kona Shred, 14″ going pretty cheap. Will this do me to begin with you reckon?

Euro
    Free Member

A mate of mine used his shred, complete with gears, as his occasional jump bike. It wouldn’t be my first choice but it’d do.

Some earlier mentioned a DMR Reptoid. I sold one of those last year for £150. If the Kona is anywhere near that price i’d leave it and get something more suited.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dirt Jumping’ is closed to new replies.