Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • direct mount chainguide (yes another chainguide thread)
  • brakes
    Free Member

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper which I run with one chainring. Just having a thin bashguard isn’t quite enough to keep the chain on 100% of the time, so I’m looking for a simple top chain guide. Does anyone know what my options are? I’ve seen the e13 XCX one, but it’s £80!!!

mildred

If you’ve enough room between your chainstay and chainset, then the Rafium inner plate is ideal.

It’s mounts on the granny ring tabs and effectively sandwiches the middle ring between that and the outer bash.

I run one on my DH bike and never had a chain drop.

http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk/

smiff
    Free Member

hmmm! so does that replace top and bottom guides? hadn’t seen that before. does add a little rotating mass but only 46g or whatever – nothing. nice.

weeksy

The Superstar one seems competent after setting up… Although i didn’t test it at anywhere more than local XC trails.

brakes
    Free Member

thank Mildred, that could be an option – certainly looks cleaner than a top device.
    I do have an issue that the chain gets wedged between the chainring and outer bash, but I think that’s because I had to flip the chainring to make it work with an older chain guide.
    for some reason I would still be nervous about the chain jumping out without a chain guide on top…

brakes
    Free Member

the Superstar ones are band-mounted to the seat-tube rather than being directly screwed into the frame aren’t they?

weeksy

Yes Brakes.

mildred

for some reason I would still be nervous about the chain jumping out without a chain guide on top…

I was nervous of this too, but it just doesn’t. Like I say. It’s on my DH bike, which gets used properly, and sometimes raced, and it’s never come off. It’s suitable for 32 teeth chainrings, which is a little low geared, but it will also work with a 34.

brakes
    Free Member

I might give that a go then. I use a 34T.
    Thanks.

kimbers

the superstar ones come in bb mounted or seat tube mounted flavours

they work fine but the seat tube mounted one needs the bolts loctiting from new once youve got it set up

woody2000

Jump stop?

Linky

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘direct mount chainguide (yes another chainguide thread)’ is closed to new replies.