Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Direct line travel insurance when mountain biking
  • shaley
    Free Member

Has anyone used direct line travel insurance when riding in the Alps?

I have a policy with them, but I am a bit confused about if I would be covered.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Assume you mean medical. Best advice is ring them and ask after reading your insurance cover. If its a MTB race you need specific cover.

I’m dogtag – the main thing to check is that any policy includes – Rescue and repatriation. That’s not covered by EHIC. Only needed it once and I was walking wounded they only wanted EHIC.

EHIC covers the hospital side, its the rescue and get you home if you have a big stack. You may need medical support on the plane (repatriation).

jimw
    Free Member

I used to be with Direct line. I phoned them up and explained that I was going to be doing the Passeporte (which has its own insurance as part of the entry fee for the event) and spending the other days using lifts etc. I was told they would not cover me for any off road biking above a certain altitude, medical or rescue. I can’t rember the specifics.
    I insured the other visits with Snowcard. And again after discussion went for the downhill ( now called extreme adventure I think) cover. Always worth being honest with insurance in such circumstances in my opinion. As a mild asthmatic it cost me about £45 for a week.

shaley
    Free Member

I spoke to one guy on the phone who flat out said they would not cover it. I then spoke to another guy and they said that I was covered. I explained that I would be doing downhill mountain biking.

I guess I need to call again.

jimw
    Free Member

If you look on their website, find the policy wording it specifically says it covers cycling….except off road which is specifically excluded.

Here, page 8
    https://www.directline.com/lib/pdf/dl-travel-combined-policy-document.pdf

Looks pretty clear cut to me. Unless they allow an endorsement for extra premium?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Most the regular travel insurances won’t cover what we consider mountain biking, even if they mention mountain biking. Mine excludes any rough terrain which on investigation is anything other than tarmac basically.

Snowcard or Dogtag. Just use it for one trip and to cover the bike, bike accidents inc medical, and recovery.

Leave the regular travel insurance for standard non-riding stuff like luggage, cancellations etc.

And still make sure you have an EHIC card. You’re expected to use that first before claiming on insurance and you’ll need it for emergency treatment in a state run hospital. Won’t cover you for rescue or repatriation though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Direct line travel insurance when mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.