Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Direct Access Motorbike Course
  • monkeyp

So, I did my CBT last April and went and bought a Honda PCX 125 scooter. All has so far gone well and I have put a lot of miles on the clock commuting between Kidderminster and Wolverhampton about 3 days a week.

Whilst I don’t intend getting a bigger bike, I do feel that maybe I should consider getting my full license in the near future.

Having looked around, the cost of doing it is huge! A 4 day course including all fees is about £800, so I may re-consider for the time being.

So my questions are…

– Is there any advantage in doing the DAS if I don’t intend getting a bigger bike? £800 is a fair few CBT re-takes – in fact about 8 which would last me 16 years!
    – Having got plenty of experience (albeit on an auto) how many days of training should I realistically expect to need?
    – Would it be worth getting a cheap as chips 125 manual prior to doing the DAS and then selling it straight on?

What are peoples experience with this and can anyone recommend an instructor in the region (I was looking at Open Road).

takisawa2

If your happy with the power, swap the scooter for a geared 125 & continue to commute on that. Then do the std test in a years time. You’ll have (IIRC) 30hp? to play with for two years after the test, but if your not fussed about a bigger bike why do DAS.

I did DAS, & carried on using my 125 afterwards (for a bit). Knowing I could get something bigger soon took over & I got a 600.

Christ, didnt realise DAS had got so pricey.

TheFlyingOx

Can’t you do the A1 test instead? Limits you to a xxx cc/xx bhp bike for a couple of years, and then you can get whatever. Cheaper than DA.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Its a very slippery slope, I did exactly the same as you (except I had a geared 125 varadero). IME don’t kid yourself that you’ll stick with the 125 once you’ve passed, I’ve now got a DL650GT after a string of other bikes.
    One thing I would say though is that its good you’ve done your CBT and got some experience, thats the way I did it, I can’t fathom how daunting it must be for some people to go from nothing to direct access and be out on a big bike a week or two later!

Just go for it, but be prepared to be saying things like “its safer as i’ll have more power to get me out of trouble” and “i’m just getting annoyed with the feeling i’m holding traffic up even if i’m not”! 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

A1 isn’t much difference in price to full one and its easier to pass the mod 1 on a bigger bike tbh

Pezzers
    Free Member

I did CBT, took my test then DAS straight afterwards all without owning a bike or ever having ridden a bike before. It was good fun though daunting getting on the bigger bike.

After riding a 500cc no way will you go back to a 125.

sam_underhill

I did my CBT & DAS 3 years ago, all in a week. House purchase got in the way of buying a bike so that’s why I’ve not ridden in that time.

Only 2 or 3 months ago I was given an old GS500 and it was seriously daunting going out the first few times. It feels natural now but bigger bikes are better for sure. So, I’d say, if you can afford it, take the DAS and a bigger geared bike. It’s way more fun 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do the A1 test in a couple of years time then.

sobriety
    Free Member

Just go for it, but be prepared to be saying things like “its safer as i’ll have more power to get me out of trouble” and “i’m just getting annoyed with the feeling i’m holding traffic up even if i’m not”!

The best ‘reason’ I heard was ‘It’s safer as I won’t be grounding out the foot pegs trying to keep my corner speed up’ and he wasn’t joking either!

rocketman
    Free Member

it’s easier to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike fast

monkeyp

The hting is, as I use the bike for commuting only, and as the PCX does 120mpg it costs peanuts to run.

A bigger bike would cost more and, being as I follow a few other people on bigger bikes quite regularly, I know it wouldn’t reduce my journey time at all. In fact, the scoot is easier to get through the jams most of the time. I also have to say that the auto is sooo easy to ride in traffic. I would possibly consider something like the new Honda Integra though…

I will look into the A1 course as that may be a good stopgap.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Get it done. Buy a street fighter. Grow a mullet.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

shop around for a cheaper DAS course, i did a five day one last year with CAMrider

included CBT, DAS, insurance, hire of bikes and test charges for under £600

br
    Free Member

it’s easier to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike fast

it’s easier to ride a fast bike slow than it is to ride a slow bike fast

FTFY

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

There are benefits of passing your full test, the main one being the option if you do want it, you can ride any bigger bike. Also my Insurance when i had my 125 went from £400 on a provisional down to £176 with a full license.

Also if you want fuel economy their are bikes like the Kawasaki ER5, Honda CB500 and Suzuki GS500 which you will do your DAS on, which offer up to 80 mpg. Even on my 600 i get 40 mpg when i attempt to thrash it.

Honda are also bringing out the NCX 700 which returns good fuel economy.

Shop around for DAS prices. I used a company called Williams in Bolton, was 2.5 days training and test fee and that cost me £350.

I don’t think you’d need more than 3 days, if you have the road sense thats half the battle, just need to learn clutch control on a bigger bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

Check the insurance mine went up believe it or not I was cheaper on my 9 years provisional than I was on my new full license when I had a 125

totalshell

take the test.. you wont stick at 125 that is as certain as night following day.. but you could end up having somefantastic experiences.. i ve toured most of europe etc after getting my ticket by direct acess or what ever it was called way back in 94 i think cost me about 300 quid then for a weeks training and guranteed pass no extra costs.. teat is a brezze.. changing gears isnt the issue its about awareness and positioning and been safe..

i straight lined a 3 lane roundabout on my test.. at the end instructor said where did you go wrong so i manned up but said as we didnt have round abouts up the dales and i only had a 1957 bantam i didnt think i d repeat it.. and i passed.. ( i actually had a 600 tenere) lesson learnt though..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Direct Access Motorbike Course’ is closed to new replies.