Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dipping things in paint
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have a stem that came painted, and it’s beginning to flake and corrode a bit. I was thinking of cleaning it up and then repainting. I have spray paint that’s proved to be not that durable in the past, I also have some matt Hammerite. That would require a brush which could be tricky to get a nice finish, so I was wondering if I could prime it then just dip it in the can of Hammerite. Maybe if I remove it slowly enough it won’t drip?

Anyone tried this?

v8ninety

Protect your mating surfaces.

(Good rule for life that, actually)

kayak23

YouTube Hydro dipping. Do that.

neilthewheel

Get it powder coated. Or chromed.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Or save the faff and just get a new (relatively cheap) one?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

You could always try what someone I know did recently, dipping their net curtains in thinned down paint to whiten them again! 😆

I suggested trying Tip Ex next. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

Those are other options yes, but it’s not really what I asked 🙂

neilthewheel

Tell us how you get on 😀

Markie
    Free Member

To avoid the paint being thicker towards the bottom (as dipped) of the stem, spin it round your head as fast as you can for a minute or so after pulling it out of the hammerite. This will ensure a thin, even coat of paint.

maccruiskeen

To avoid the paint being thicker towards the bottom (as dipped) of the stem, spin it round your head as fast as you can for a minute or so after pulling it out of the hammerite. This will ensure a thin, even coat of paint.

sounds like grounds for divorce

v8ninety

Those are other options yes, but it’s not really what I asked

You could buy a new one, or maybe use a bin bag? 😉

scotroutes

The instructions on tins of Smoothrite say to apply a thin coat to avoid sagging. I doubt you’d manage to get a thin, even coat that didn’t sag/run.

timba
    Free Member

Lots of thin brushed coats. You’ll probably end up brushing the dipped stem anyway, and you’ll have to mask/remove masking.
    Aluminium(?) needs an etch primer or it’ll still corrode and flake.
    Hammerite make a “Direct to Galvanised” version. Or you could use aluminium etch primer and coach enamel. Or just buy a new one.

maccruiskeen

The instructions on tins of Smoothrite say to apply a thin coat to avoid sagging.

It says the same on a tube of L’oreal Age Defying Serum. Important not to get the two mixed up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or just buy a new one.

Wasteful as that is, it would be cheaper than buying all that stuff. I have hammerite and primer in the garage already. Nothing to lose I suppose.

scruff9252

.Markie – Member

POSTED 12 HOURS AGO #

I did this once as a young kid in our house with a cold, wet tea bag from the teapot. For years we had a tea stained ring up one wall, across the ceiling, down the other wall then across the carpet.

Oh boy was I in trouble when my mum walked in – I think I’m still grounded 30years later! 😀

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Dip it in PVA/runny glue then sprinkle some glitter, hundreds and thousands, sesame seeds or similar, on it.

Then you can say it’s artisan. 😀

richmars

Maybe fit a bit of suitable dowel to the stem and fit the other end in an electric drill, that can go very slowly. I’d just paint it and leave it rotating slowly.

scotroutes

Sand/polish it?

scotroutes

Aren’t most stems actually anodized and not painted?

molgrips
    Free Member

Dip it in PVA/runny glue then sprinkle some glitter

Genius 🙂

Yes, most stems are anodised, but this one isn’t hence the flaking paint.

kormoran
    Free Member

I’ve tried this myself, it sort of worked but it’s very difficult to get no runs. Also the thick paint doesn’t really cure very well so tends to be soft

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dipping things in paint’ is closed to new replies.