Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dinged rim – what to watch out for
  • Pook

I hit a rock and dinged my mavic rim t'other day. Not a massive dent, about thumbnail size and just curled over a little.
    Should i worry, and try to straighten it out? Or not, and just get on with riding the bike?
    What tips do you have for fixing it?

alexxx
    Free Member

if the tyre sits funny then bend it if not leave it.

i use plyers with a rag on the end so as not to scratch and pull it back out

im sure heating it would do a gentler job but fek it! its only a rim

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I use a small adjustable spanner, close it up over the dent & carefully straighten it up.
    No serrated jaws like there are in pliers & the jaws won't try & open whilst you're doing it either.

peachos
    Free Member

yeah adjustable spanner. just be careful – if it's bent over too much you'll end up splitting the rim, writing it off. i've done this a couple of times 😳

Feast
    Free Member

Likewise, small adjustable spanner.

Just don't use mole grips, like i did the first time. School boy.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just use a big adjustable spanner and lever it out gently 🙂 (oops just read above – great minds think alike, fools beg to differ 😉 )

Edit: if its tiny and not causing a problem then leave like below and above 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Only adjust it with a small adj if you need to, otherwise leave it alone if the tyre fits.

Ive got loads of dents in mine – never an issue.

Of course, make sure the wheel is true.

hora
    Free Member

New bike. Something nice this time 😉

Pook

it's not the bike it's how you ride it that counts….

hora
    Free Member

it's not the bike it's how you colour accessorize it that counts

Eh?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

So long as the tyre still mounts fine, I'd leave it – bending it back will only weaken it further.

coatesy
    Free Member

Bit of a tool fetishist, so i've customised a small adjustable for this job, one jaw ground short to sit inside the rim, the other jaw radiused to stop it damaging the outside of the rim.Small movements along the dent are the key, don't overdo it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dinged rim – what to watch out for’ is closed to new replies.