Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dilemma on new forks & how to hide them from the fiance….
  • JimmyB
    Free Member

Alright, I 'need' (ahem) to replace the forks on my old 2001 Hoo Koo e Koo hardtail & there's a lovely set in Merlin going cheap. One of the 185mm steerer cheapies which fortunately match exactly the current steerer length.

Problem is that I need a new headset too (i really do need this bit) so……..are all headsets pretty much the same size (stack height)? I see them on the websites & I'm worried that my old one (Dia Compe STR) is irregular nowadays? Basically, can I still get away with the 185mm steerer or is this a bum move?????

Completely hamstrung at the moment in making decisions, all the brainpower is going on wedding plans instead of important stuff. Haven't even decided whether to take the £200 Halfords tokens offered after the put a couple of dings in my frames seat-tube or get them to fit a new frame. (Ideas welcome on this one too.)

…and how the hell do I get the new forks past her????

ta,

J

Midnighthour
    Free Member

You are marrying someone you have to hide your hobby from?

wors

and how the hell do I get the new forks past her

I have bought some new forks for my bike!

clubber
    Free Member

Get something like a FSA Orbit XLii as they're fairly low for a headset (not the lowest but it's unlikely that your existing one is a lot shorter).

I had a bike with a 185mm steerer fork and it was ok with the above headset and quite a short stack height stem but that's on a 20" frame so unless you're using a simiarly large frame (with corresponding long head tube) then you should be fine.

Apart from bike part smuggling which you'll have to sort out yourself…

timber

tell her whilst she's wathching the soaps

woody2000

Smack her round the head with them, then while she's unconscious, stick 'em on your bike. 😀

Or you could just say "I've bought some new forks, the old one's were knackered."

Junkyard
    Free Member

from experience if they are the same colour as the last forks/bike you will be fine 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will HF really replace the frame?

I'd measure your existing set up and see if the heaset is low stack height or not. No speculative advice on here will give you a definitive answer.

Get them sent to work?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't understand why anybody would hide ANYTHING from their other half….
    Why would you even think about that?
    If I want a new bike I tell Mrs PP I'm getting one and when the box arrives, she says "Your new bike's here" and that's it.
    As far as I can see if you have to/need to/want to hide stuff than there's someting wrong somewhere with one or both of you. You can't have a solid relationship without truth and trust, surely? Yes you might think it's only minor, but where does it stop? I'm sorry but this really baffles me every time it's mentioned.

JimmyB
    Free Member

bit tongue in cheek actually but I have brought it on myself really with phrases like 'Why on earth are we spending £XXX on this…..' for the wedding. It's my own guilt rather than her disapproval.

She's really good about buying stuff as it gives her a 'get out of Jail' card on the shoe front but she can tell when I really don't need stuff and am just wanting to spend my pocket money.

clubber: sounds like an orbit would do the trick as it's an 18" frame so that will give me the leeway I need.

Do most of you guys have bits of steerer sticking out above your stem then? Most seem to have around 200mm steerer length but that would put me in a pretty much sit up & beg position unless I left it poking above the stem.

Cheers

Cheers,

jackthedog
    Free Member

Do most of you guys have bits of steerer sticking out above your stem then? Most seem to have around 200mm steerer length but that would put me in a pretty much sit up & beg position unless I left it poking above the stem.

We take a hacksaw to the remaining steerer length once we're happy with the setup.

clubber
    Free Member

I usually leave one 5mm spacer above the stem – maybe not perfect from a cosmetic point of view but allows for slight adjustment if I change the stem and it's a slightly different angle.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't understand why anybody would hide ANYTHING from their other half….

Your wife always says you're very trusting and never suspect a thing.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Order the same colour and have em delivered to work…. (he says waiting for the new front brake)

JimmyB
    Free Member

No colour choice…did wonder about stripping & get the bro to respray….seems a bit OTT though.

I reckon I've never had a problem with the position of the HKeK so might as well just stick with what I know instead of fiddling.

Cheers for the help, looks like I can get any subtlety in position required out of stem & bar changes…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma on new forks & how to hide them from the fiance….’ is closed to new replies.