Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dilemma – convert 2009 talas to float or Coil sektor?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Been given a quote of £200 (mojo) to convert (+ service) my 2009 talas to 140 Float.. for an extra £50 i can get a brand new set of Sektor RL 150mm Dual Position 120-150mm Coil Forks

Never been that happy with my talas forks and much prefer them at 140 after trying an identical bike (stanton slackline) with 1140 floats they much much better

So.. uprgade to 140 floats or just go and buy some sektor coils?

trickydisco
    Free Member

anyone?

trickydisco
    Free Member

so air revs over coil?

Although these are £319

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone running a sektor coil?

banks
    Free Member

No dilemma, convert to float = win

Also Loco tuning is cheaper & betterer

Northwind

Float 32s? I wouldn’t have such a flexy XC fork on a Slackline, Rev or Sektor would be more appropriate. The Rev air spring is good, not quite as nice as a coil but not so far off it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

aye.. float 32’s off my 2009 enduro

Been told mojo can convert to Vanilla for the same price

Have emailed loco yesterday

LoCo
    Free Member

Tricky YGM 😀

deviant
    Free Member

Tricky…

I’ve got a coil spring Sektor on my bike, great fork, lovely linear damping, done of the whooshing or squishing sounds that air forks give or that initial dive followed by harsh ramping up that i’ve experienced with air forks either.

tsd
    Free Member

Anyone running a sektor coil?

Yep on my 456 for a year, I really like them, plush ride (I was upgrading from a bike with Darts so not a great point of comparison). I’m lucky I fit in the weight range of the standard springs, if you don’t that’s worth factoring in the price. Took me a few rides to work out where I want the compression. But having got the feel now find it easy to adjust on the fly from locked. Setting to min travel requires a hefty push, not something I’ve managed to master on the fly but I’ve fairly low riding skills.

They feel a bit more flexy at 150 than 120 but that could be my imagination formed from other reviews of the forks I’ve read.

gribble
    Free Member

Have Sektor dual position coils on my trance x. The bees knees, really like them compared to some 2007 Reba Airs at 115mm which I have on my hard tail. Probably partly because I thin I ran them with too much air pressure…

I can lock Sektors out completely or reduce travel to 120mm, so they are quite versatile.

Would definitely get another pair.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Bit of searching reveals the sektors are a bit poor in rock gardens due to the damper (which can be upgraded)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sektor-coil-u-turn-vs-revelation-dual-position-air

I’m running both, or was, a 2011 Revelation and a Coil U-Turn, 150mm Sektor. They’re both good forks, personally I like the way air forks ramp up, but that’s a personal thing, both quite plush and good over small stuff. The big difference is the high speed rebound damping, current Revs and last year’s Team versions have a separate high speed rebound damping circuit a bit like the Push mod to RS forks.

Mostly you won’t notice, but if you really hammer through, say, rocky stuff at speed – think Potato Alley in the Peak for example – the standard RS rebound damper eventually can’t flow enough oil and the fork pretty much locks up, or at least gets very ‘lively because it can’t move fast enough.

retro83
    Free Member

Just got super cheap Sek Coils from on-one, had dual air Revs previously. Sektor feels great, noticeably less stiction, damping seems adequate enough that I haven’t touched either dial. Dual position seems to be working well.

LoCo
    Free Member

With the sektors the upgraded rebound assm. makes a huge difference with packing down on repeated hits.
    Compression dampers are upgradeable too.

trickydisco
    Free Member

All so confusing

So the compression damper is the motion control? (Moco DNA, Moco RCT3)

What’s the upgraded rebound assembly? Is it a separate unit?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Do you mean dual flow? So If i were to get sektors i could upgrade the rebound to dual flow and separately upgrade the compression damper if i so wanted?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma – convert 2009 talas to float or Coil sektor?’ is closed to new replies.