Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 277 total)
  • Digital SLR info: buy now or wait for new stuffs?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

all this to take pics of sunsets and london landmarks at jaunty angles.
    can’t you just do that with your phone?

Er, apparently I can, yes! 😀

Really, really wish I’d had a decent cam with me that day, but then it was a total surprise and I had no idea I was going to be going up there.

Ah well.

emanuel
    Free Member

the best camera is always the one you have with you.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Fuji X100 would have captured that nicely 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Fuji X100 would have captured that £800 nicely

FTFY

DrJ

I’m just wondering if Nikon will be releasing an FX cam for about a grand or so, soon for the Xmas market.

No.

HTH.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Fair enough. Not exactly sure quite why you bother posting on photography threads on here though really, if that’s your attitude.

you can post on a photography thread you know without posting a pic, there are no rules that say you have to.

Your condescending and sneering attitude suggests it is in fact yourself who might fear exactly that you accuse others of…

im not scared of what people post on cycling forums (pics of gashed open legs from flat pedals do make me a bit queasy though)

You seem to think I am some sort of ‘beginner’ who hazzunt a clue. Carry on in your ignorance, I find it amusing to think that you consider any advice you might give someone, as doing them some sort of favour for which they should be grateful. How arrogant.

you are a beginner (digital). you have little knowledge of digital photography that’s why you posted in the first place soliciting advice from people who have had years of experience using that kind of equipment every day.

Why mention TJ at all? Completely irrelevant and a snidey bit of an ad hominem attack there. If you ask me, it’s all about a pissing contest with you. That’s how you come across, anyway.

why mention him? because when supplied with answers and a general consensus from various people there is an underlying willingness to be contrary and right at the same time (the T-J response) which overrides the desire to maybe find the right answer.

as for a pissing contest i deliberately don’t push my own work, the places i get to travel or the equipment i get to use. because it’s not about comparing zoom length.
    that’s why i steer clear of camera forums, i should of learned my lesson.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

you are a beginner (digital). you have little knowledge of digital photography

[quote]

There you go again with your ignorant assumptions. Hey ho. You carry on thinking you know stuff what you don’t, it don’t matter to me. I’ll just sit here laughing at you.

Interesting that you think somehow that ‘digital’ photography is a completely different animal to analogue photography.

why mention him? because when supplied with answers and a general consensus from various people there is an underlying willingness to be contrary and right at the same time (the T-J response) which overrides the desire to maybe find the right answer.

Nope, you mentioned him because you need to find a target to direct your own insecurities at. And as for answers to the contrary; notice how I’ve actually mentioned that I apprecite all the positive advice given on this thread, and have gone from undecided to a much clearer idea of what I need to do.

Look:

Seb, cheers mate. I appreciate your input, truly. And I think that a D700 is the way to go, sooner rather than later. So, thanks for yours and all other positive comments, as they’ve actually been very interesting and helpful.

I’m struggling to find any positive input from yourself. All I see is a load of sneering arrogance. That is often the case with you on photography threads. I’m not the only one that thinks this either.

that’s why I steer clear of camera forums, I should of learned my lesson.

Hopefully, you will have learned a lesson from this one… 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Interesting that you think somehow that ‘digital’ photography is a completely different animal to analogue photography.

so you are a mindreader too?

Nope, you mentioned him because you need to find a target to direct your own insecurities at

an psychiatrist as well as photographer! is there any limit to your expertise?

maybe you can shed some light on this: i have this dream where a swarthy tandem cyclist with long flowing tresses comes to the rescue as i’m stranded in a windswept treeless scottish wilderness (i’m bald, maybe it’s a subconscious insecurity there) thing is there is no saddle on the back of the bike only a seatpost, no handlebars either.
    he says to me “hold on tight we man” in his rough scottish brogue.
    i then wake up in a cold sweat feeling insecure

what’s your expert opinion?

geoffj

Is this still rumbling? Blimey 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s ok Geoff; I’ve done with MrSmith now and he’ll not bother with this thread anymore as he obviously has loads of places to go and equipment to play with, so others can now join in without fear of and snidey nastiness. 🙂

Anyone out there still actually using fillum then?

Oh, and anyone got any experience using the D700? Pros? Cons? Personal experiences?

DrJ

that’s for you to work out for yourself once you understand how your meter works.

That’s a lovely set of photos on your website, Mr Smith, but to be honest I’m not convinced that they (the landscapes, at least) would be much different if you’d shot them on auto.

ski
    Free Member

What’s happend to SFB, he normally would be all over a thread like this?

😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

What’s happend to SFB, he normally would be all over a thread like this?

last i heard he’s re-coding photoshop for Adobe so it has a more intuitive GUI.

MrSmith
    Free Member

That’s a lovely set of photos on your website, Mr Smith, but to be honest I’m not convinced that they (the landscapes, at least) would be much different if you’d shot them on auto.

some were shot on 10×8 film. there is no auto mode on a symmar manual shutter.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nope, he’s still around. 🙂

Why not bung some up on here, MrSmith? Give some of us plebs the benefit of your vast experience?

DrJ

some were shot on 10×8 film. there is no auto mode on a symmar manual shutter

That would explain it 🙂 But my point holds …

so others can now join in without fear of and snidey nastiness.

like …

Why not bung some up on here, MrSmith? Give some of us plebs the benefit of your vast experience?

duntstick
    Free Member

Just thought I’d join in……with the Willy waving 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! He may be richer, but he’s younger and balder than me! 😀

Not that baldness is necessarily a bad thing or anything like.

GrahamS

Elf take a look at http://www.garysmithphoto.com/

They are all embedded in a Flash file (yuk!) so he can’t post them individually on here.

geoffj

last i heard he’s re-coding photoshop for Adobe so it has an automatic arse recognition feature.

FTFY

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No I’ve had a look at them, but I’d prefer to see his own stuff, not the commercial product photos.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Got bored and gave up. Mr Smith needs to stop using these automated webtool stuff and do a real website by hand.

DrJ

No I’ve had a look at them, but I’d prefer to see his own stuff, not the commercial product photos.

Click on “personal”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I did. There seemed to be a few fairly insipid, heavily ‘shopped pics of Dungeness or somewhere, and some cranes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

heavily ‘shopped

i.e. Artificial looking.

m1kea
    Free Member

I’ve flicked through this thread but cba to comment on the ‘discussion’ therein. 😉

However as a Canon shooter, I’d defo recommend getting a Nikon D700 ASAP.

I nearly jumped ship a year back but the cost to change systems didn’t stack up for me. If you have Nik glass then that’s half the job done.

And as someone else said, life is too short to wait on ifs and maybes. If you’re not going to cripple yourself financially, get in there and enjoy taking (digital) pictures.

I held off going digi until 2005 but haven’t looked back since. In fact the sports stuff I shoot means film would be an impossible medium to work in.

ski
    Free Member

Are we now going to start a darkroom/shopped debate?

I think there are some amazing images there btw, nice clean work..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Photoshop, in fact I’m working on something ‘abstract’ right now myself. 🙂

The images in question appear to have been enhanced in order to make an otherwise fairly dull scene (imho) into something more interesting. That is all.

I do like the sewing thread pic though for some reason. Maybe cos it reminds me of my mum always sewing and that when I was a kid.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Got bored and gave up. Mr Smith needs to stop using these automated webtool stuff and do a real website by hand.

i pay somebody else to do that.

a few fairly insipid, heavily ‘shopped pics of Dungeness or somewhere, and some cranes.

some shot on 10×8 or 5×4 transparency and a small colour/curve correction. some on a digital back and longer in post than shoot time.

thing is photoshop is an intrinsic part of the process either in a small way or a major way, on paid jobs it’s budgeted/charged for and is just another part of the process of answering a brief.
    some images are just one light, a reflector and a slight levels/curves in CS some are multi part comps, just a means to an end.

i leave the photoshop debate to the photojournalists or fashion photographers (size 8 models etc) as there it’s an ethical one, in advertising/design it’s the norm.

people crudely masking their bike/a flower and turning the background black and white should have their pirated copy of CS5 taken away though. 🙄

so where are your pics elfin?
    i’ll not pass comment but i’m sure others would like to see them.

GrahamS

Elf only has two pics and we’ve all seen them many times 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

On size I can see they are technically quite wonderful, not my cup of tea though.
    Could they be taken on auto? Is the Mona Lisa just a painting?

derekrides
    Free Member

Sinar man Mr Smith?

MrSmith
    Free Member

linhof. still have my technicardan but going to sell it as it’s not been used in ages.

MrSmith
    Free Member

some great stuff here, AOP awards 2011. some are not my cup of tea but we all have different tastes.
    i love chris frazer smiths entry in the moving image section.

http://awards.the-aop.org/2011_Photographers_Awards

i got through to the second round of judging but didn’t make the cut to the final awards book.

derekrides
    Free Member

Hmm linhof, can’t pretend to have an opinion, Sinar man myself, but that was a while ago now, way back before I swallowed the red pill and left that life along with the discarded weston master V, must be tough these days with colleges churning out easy access photo nerds.
    On a strictly amateur keep my hand in front i went digital back in 2004 with the D70 which now lays gathering dust as the iPhone and little lumix do all I need.

Back to the OP and the D700, i can’t help wondering why the video option of something like the 300s would offer more opportunities for creativity..

Then again will the 800 have full HD video on FX?

I can see his conundrum.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hmm linhof, can’t pretend to have an opinion, Sinar man myself

it’s just another camera. chosen because it had lens axis tilts not 3/4 way down the standard, it was also very portable but with full movements.

molgrips
    Free Member

I saw a load of students being led around Cardiff yesterday all carrying really old basic film cameras. Most were holding them in their hands without using the lanyard.. grr….

Why don’t I see anything at all on Mr Smith’s site?

derekrides
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    Hmm linhof, can’t pretend to have an opinion, Sinar man myself
    it’s just another camera. chosen because it had lens axis tilts not 3/4 way down the standard, it was also very portable but with full movements.

Don’t, sometimes I wake up in cold sweats remembering those days, trying to keep perspective with rising front, twisting the axis to keep focus on bloody poly intubator cuffs, (I did a lot of product shoots for a medical company amongst many other features of lifes rich pattern)often wondering how soon they’d pay this time, it was all polaroid backs in those days and airbrush post production. Life must be much easier now.

Hmm just re read those tow posts, it can’t be both can it? Life for a pro photographer i mean, easier and harder, although I guess technically easier, but tougher because of increased competition.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why don’t I see anything at all on Mr Smith’s site?

because it’s vacuous and empty?
    because it’s in flash and the long planned update is still not ready?

more importantly where are elfins pics?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Life must be much easier now.

no. deadlines are even tighter. no laying on the sofa for an hour 20 for your test sheet to come back from the lab :halcyon days:

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 277 total)

The topic ‘Digital SLR info: buy now or wait for new stuffs?’ is closed to new replies.