Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Digital Compact Cameras
  • Mog
    Free Member

Nikon Compact
    About to buy a camera for xmas. Know nothing about these things. Budget £100. Found this that I’m about to order but before I do any other suggestions?
    Thanks

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seems okay, but look at the Panasonics and Canons too.

The one big negative for me is that it only has a x4 zoom (although it is optical which is a good thing). Most digital cameras have an additional digital zoom which can be useful at times.

EDIT: Unless it means it has an additional x4 digital zoom, the site isn’t clear on that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was looking for a similar thing last night.

Panasonic Lumix are meant to be decent and are available for £100, but add one extras like case and memory and your looking at about £125

Also, Canon ixus are supposedly quite good.

Mog
    Free Member

Thanks.
    What would a digital zoom do for me that the optical won’t?
    Why look at Panasonics & Canons? Why are they recommended?
    I’d (probably wrongly) assumed that at this price all main makes are much of a muchness?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Panasonics and Canons are simply generally the best in test most of the time and have lots of nice little functions such as face recognition to ensure the faces in group shots are all focused.

Digital zoom just gets you that bit closer – it is NOT a substitute for optical zoom but it can just help if you really want to capture something quite far away. Always go for good (> x4) optical and you won’t go wrong. And I think I may be mistaken in thinking that model has no additional digital zoom as the site lists lots of other cameras with the same so I *think* it is another x4 on top of the optical.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This site is your friend – usually very good with its reviews…

http://www.dpreview.com/

joolsburger
    Free Member

That website is unfortunately named.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL!!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Digital zoom just blows up the image, which makes it go all blurry and pixelated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Digital Compact Cameras’ is closed to new replies.