Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Differences between Trek EX8 08 model and 09? (Men’s this time)
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Having just found out that the Trek EX8 WSD 09 is idential to the men’s version – I’m thinking I might be able to get a good deal on a men’s 08 Trek (assuming a 15.5 isn’t too big)

So, I was wondering – what are the differences between the 08 and the 09?

Obviously it’s LX kit instead of the SLX and also the rims are narrower I think – are there any other differences anyone’s aware of?

MicArms

Rocker link on the 08 is alloy, magesium on the 09 model.
    Rear stays on 09 are slightly remodelled to attach both sides of rocker.
    08 rear stays bolt onto inside of alloy rocker. The bolts used on the 09 model for rocker and shock mounts are less cheese.

hugorune

Micarms – Are you getting the 07 confused with the 08? The 08 Fuel ex8 is identical to the 09 in terms of frame materials,geometry and manufacture. The 08 to 09 change was purely cosmetic and components (unless you’re counting this years bike as being the 2010 model in which case you’re just hurting my head)

MicArms

Hugo,
    trust me..have the 08 EX8 , the one with ABP, and one piece rocker.. Have upgraded to the newer rocker (which is same shape, just made out of mag)of the 09 model due to having the cheese like bolt heads round off. Only way I could sort situation was to cut off the old alloy rocker.

the EX7 09 model still uses the one piece alloy rocker.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – having read up a bit, I reckon it’ll be worth paying a little extra and getting this year’s model. I hate bolts made of cheese… Thanks for input. MM

hugorune

Well there you go – every days a school day. So as long as I don’t touch the rocker or any of the bolts on mine (08 model) there’s no problem?
    I’d go for the 08 model and get someone else to fanny around with the rocker linkage if there’s a problem – If a shop knackers it they have to fix it. I’ve had mine for 10 months and so far no problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Differences between Trek EX8 08 model and 09? (Men’s this time)’ is closed to new replies.