Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Difference between a Chiroprator & Osteopath
  • waynekerr
    Free Member

I have been them both over the years, I was just wondering what the actual difference is, apart from the Chiropractor being able to be called a Doctor.

If you have been to them both which have you found to be the best?

I have been to 3 different Osteopaths before I gave up on them & then 3 different Chiropractors, the current one I have been going to for over ten years now.
    I went there this morning & was charged £45, is this much the same throughout the country? Not that I grudge it as was in agony from Sunday & I now have relief.

BTW. One of the Osteopaths I went to had a Rolls Royce, my current Chiropractor has a very big fancy Merc.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think the major difference is that chiropractors have a track record of killing people and oesteopaths don't.

shepleg
    Free Member

yep, a couple chiros have made my neck worse, trapped something when manipulating it makes me wince thinking about it. oestos are great and never had any probs. far less invasive.

4130soul
    Free Member

the main difference is an osteopath is worth 20 more points in a game of scrabble…sorry, couldnt resist

singlespeedstu

*Waits for Bonesetter to come along and explain*

geoffj

Why not try a physiotherapist?

richc
    Free Member

according to a friend who is a Chiropractor, the main difference is a Chiropractor is qualified to take and read x-rays, which makes accurate diagnosis easier.

As for which is better, I think its more down the individual practitioner rather than which method is better, I know he relies on his results to do the talking but then he see's over 120 patients a week, who are happy to pay him with their hard earned for a 5 minute session.

waynekerr
    Free Member

the main difference is an osteopath is worth 20 more points in a game of scrabble…sorry, couldnt resist

😆

skidartist
    Free Member

Ian Munro – Member
    I think the major difference is that chiropractors have a track record of killing people and oesteopaths don't.

So Chiropractor if I need to have someone assasinated, Oesteopath if I just want to have them roughed up a bit?

richc
    Free Member

Strange I thought it was GP's who have a track record of killing people not Chiropractor's 😉

kaiser
    Free Member

If you really want to know the technicalities best to wiki
    IMHE it's down to the individual practitioner.
    saw 2 chiros, 2 physios and an osteo before anyone sorted my back .
    eventually a great guy (exeter) made some progress .He didn't even charge me one time when during my visit he couldn't budge the offending veterbrae.
    If you are near exeter mail me for a recommendation

richc
    Free Member

There is a huge difference between McTimoney Chiropractors and GCC registered Chiro's as the qualification period and level of study required to be a McTimoney Chiro is much less.

Its weird, over in Canada you see Chiropractic clinics everywhere as people have to use there own cash to get better so generally want to use the best, most cost effective solution (ie: not shitloads of drugs to mask to symptoms)

Still as my mate says, if you want to live with the pain to the point the drugs can't mask it anymore, and you can't sleep/walk/drive/think that's up to you, however if you want to try and fix the problem then you can try a (good) Chiropractor, but if you are convinced its a con then have a nice life and he's wishes all the best with living with your pain.

I know it works for me, and ironically when I really knackered my back, the spinal consultant I spoke to recommended the clinic my friend works in, as he said the last thing you want is me operating on your back as once I start, it will never end.

anonymouse
    Free Member

My osteopath does chiropody too. He's a footpath.

zaskar
    Free Member

Depends on the skills and training of any medical staff.

My Chiro has been great and knows loads more than a normal Chiro and hired by Bath and England Rugby.

Fixed me twice.

My Mum's Osteopath maniplulated joints and bones. Mum had a bad back and he twisted her so much he caused a prolapsed disc and he ignored the shooting pains in her leg.

I think it depends on the actual practioner in the end.

Some GPs are great and some are well terrble.

sockpuppet

Osteopaths don't claim to be able to cure asthma by manipulating your spine, or suggest that you shouldn't be vaccinated.

nick1c
    Free Member

I'm an Osteopath so probably biased……. but there are some philosophical differences which I am sure you can search for if interested. Practically speaking Osteopaths tend so see people less frequently (very rarely more than once per week) but for longer – I allow 45 mins per session. Chiropractors tend to manipulate (crack joints) more and do less soft tissue work. X-rays are used less than they used to be due to the ionizing radiation. The training is equally rigorous & both are legally protected titles governed by their relevant General Council. A good one of either type is better than a bad one of the other. There is potentially a huge amount of overlap between the two – some Osteopaths may have a more Chiropractic approach than some Chiropractors & vice versa.
    Ask around for recommendations and whoever you go & see if there is no improvement in 3-4 treatments get another opinion. Unless you have a degenerative condition I would avoid a 'maintenance programme'.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have had both from a variety of practitioner. IME chiro is more brutal and less specific, osteo is more gentle ( but can still be brutal) and more specific.

No real evidence that either work even tho nice are now recommending it on the NHS.

Osteos do claim some strange things as well as chiros doing so. Cranial osteopathy for colic babies was the latest contoversy IIRC

As nick says its a good practitioner is more important than which school of thought – IMO

RichPenny
    Free Member

Unless you have a degenerative condition I would avoid a 'maintenance programme'.

Hmmm. I've got a niggling lower back pain that doesn't appear very often. I was wondering if it might be worth seeing a physio or osteopath just to get some preventative treatment in. I don't know if it's relevant, but both my brother and my dad have had back trouble. It just seemed like it might be wise to have an MOT. Any opinions?

footflaps

That Quackometer site seems to good to be true – would be funny if it wasn't for real….

nick1c
    Free Member

@ RichPenny
    If you have a recurring niggle it is probably worth getting it looked at, but unless there is a good reason I would expect the problem to lie in usage patterns rather than a structural inadequacy – someone worth your ££ should sort it out & explain how you can reduce the probability of it recurring.

grantway
    Free Member

I ruptured my lower disc in my back recently and all the
    NHS wanted to do was stretch me ?
    Guys I work with recommended a sports Osteopath they knew.
    Ive been going for 5 weeks now and recovery well
    He believes in not only stretching and massage the areas etc
    but also using excercise too.
    This guy is brilliant ive stopped having Siatica S**t
    pains rushing down my right leg.
    £ 35 per hour session and recondition your body whilst
    you get better Purfect money well spent.

My sister hurt her back 5 months back and as been seeing
    a Chiropractor and costs £ 30 for 15 minutes and still in
    pain is now booked to see my guy.

My money is on the sports Osteopath

nedrapier

One difference is that I'm seriously considering retraining as an osteopath, and I'm not seriously considering retraining as a Chiropractor.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Difference between a Chiroprator & Osteopath’ is closed to new replies.