Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Diesel turbo lag?
  • ivantate
    Free Member

Is any of this relevent to the fact the OP has been given a tax busting car and isnt impressed.

Its a big heavy car fitted with a 1.5 diesel stretched to 105bhp, low CO2 and high economy. I am looking at the same engine but at 86bhp in the missus' next car (maybe a nissan note) and am sure it will be fine.

As it is new it will need to be loosened up a bit and also it will be euro5 emissions so there will be reduced engine response and economy compared to Euro4 models of the same engine.

Anyone with older diesels and poor response get the EGR valve checked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Small engine + higher power = big turbo = more lag, really.

Also 105bhp is pretty low for a car the size of the laguna.

Interestingly, reviews of the VW Bluemotion cars have said that there's less low-down torque. I am not sure why this would be – perhaps they've reduced over-injection of fuel that would get the turbo spooled quicker.. I dunno.

rkk01
    Free Member

Sounds like a good case for a small supercharger at low revs, followed by turbocharging as the exhaust gases come on stream – as in the VW 1.4TSi petrol engine.

Possibly too complex / expensive a solution.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or just twin turbo, like Saab. Small one spools fast, large one delivers more air. Widely used solution on racing cars and I think HGVs too.

I think that only some of the VW TSi engines have the twin charger option – some are just turbo. I think it's the 160bhp one.

It's a great idea, I always said it should be done. However in practice I think you have to drive like a total granny to get anything like the claimed MPG out of them. I spoke to someone with a 1.2 TSi Polo and he was getting low 30s out of it, and trying.

rkk01
    Free Member

Looked at (and test drove) the Golf TSi when it came out in the GT trim. Very nice car / engine, but the pricing wasn't that much less than the GTi!!

Went for a year old DSG GTi instead – not diesel, so OT, but no noticeable turbo lag 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Or just twin turbo, like Saab.

Or BMW. Or Mercedes. Or VW. Or Audi. Or many others 😉

rkk – great engine in that GTi. Not the most powerful in it's "class" but IMO one of the best. The edition 30 version is an absolute belter of a car.

Very impressed that VW got 170bhp out of a 1.4 engine in the GT. I expected them to be unreliable but they seem okay.

rkk01
    Free Member

The edition 30 version is an absolute belter of a car.

Yes – regretted not getting one. They'd just announced the ed30 when we bought our Mk5. Was sorely tempted, but we would have had to wait 6 months (IIRC) for delivery, and I needed to replace a C Class estate before it's lease was up…(or more accurately before it went over the agreed mileage 🙁 )

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I often see one around here – always impressed. Just cranks the good points of the GTi up a notch or two. Standard one still great and one sad little point I always notice – easy to clean wheels!

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you lot stop talking about cars, you make want to go and buy one…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We've had a bumper crop of blackberries and apples in the garden this year.

Does that help?

ziggy
    Free Member

My pear tree is overloaded this year too.

Anyhow it's got 148 bhp apparently, either way I'm not getting a diesel, don't do enough miles for it. Octavia VRS is the choice, just have to find one now.

I've leave this thread to die a slow death.

P.S. AWESOME

molgrips
    Free Member

My pear tree had a fantastic crop, but some local little kids decided they would go out pear picking and picked them all, about a month ago. They were only little and didn't realise they were our pears. Their dad gave them a right rollocking tho which was good. There's only one left, and it's now absolutely huge – biggest pear I've ever seen!

I was gonna change a car sometime next year, but now I'm gonna hold on and get a nice caravan instead 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

Sorry 2Unfit – most are happy to discuss points, a select few internerd stalker geeks take offence even if I say hello. You are one of them.

Get over yourself already, if you bothered to read the bloody thread then you would see I had posted on it long before you shoved your nose in with your oh so commonly aired views, you really aren't the most important man on the forum you know.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ahh the mark of a true cyber stalker geek – can't let things go, can't move on. Too bitter you see. But hey you've been posting on here for ages so must know what you're talking about eh?

Jog on laddio. Plenty more people to leech off.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

**** off you knob, Do you think I'm logged on 24-7? Or is it you that needs to have the last word?

Do you really think you can call me a stalker & expect me not to reply?

FYI I have 'been on here' since the Go-Far days, & thankfully have encountered few people like yourself.

Happy trails.

konabunny
    Free Member

If you can't see the upsides and downsides of good petrols and good diesels then you shouldn't really comment on cars at all.

This isn't the first time you've been telling people they shouldn't discuss cars. Instead of these statements coming out here and there, do you think you can produce a definitive list of who shouldn't, Surf-Mat? You know, just in case we're not AWESOME enough? 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Kona – I don't have time. Too busy being AWESOME.

konabunny
    Free Member

It's quite a long list, then? 😥

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It wouldn't be actually.
    Just people that comment of car stuff based on no personal experience and a big dose of BS. Actually there are a fair few…

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Diesel turbo lag?’ is closed to new replies.