Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Diesel on roads, ouch!
  • bland

Turned into a side road for a pie while out today and ended up flat out on the road, first time its ever happened to me and wasn’t even going fast. Picked myself and bike up and bike just slid around, no traction at all and ghen noticed the purple glistening Tarmac!

Worse than ice it was, and I wouldn’t have minded but my shorts abused my ass too on the ride so not only have I got a whacking great bruise on my thigh but two red rore butt cheeks! only planned on doing a 30ish mile ride and crawled home at 70 which want planned

mrmo
    Free Member

worst thing about damp weather, it just lifts the crap and makes the roads greasy, a good downpour such as being predicted for tomorrow is actually a good thing as it tend to clear the crap off the road.

hora
    Free Member

I followed a vw Caddy towards Hayfield recently pissing out diesel quite alot. It stank in my car behind him so I flashed/beeped till he pulled over.

‘Oh is it bad pal’?

Yes.

Ok, sets off again (I assume he knew and was trying to make it home to avoid recovery costs). ****.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, it’s a killer. I cmae off a couple of times last winter. First ride out on my winter bike Wednesday night and there was some on the roads. Luckily I smelt it before setting off and went a different route. Lethal stuff.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Diesel on the road can be quite alot of fun on a motorcycle. Unless you go down.

user-removed
    Free Member

Come off on a couple of roundabouts and even spun the car once (rear wheel drive but sensible speed!).

It’s always such a shock – happens so suddenly. I’ve been lucky in so much as the following traffic has been able to swerve and avoid my head…

corsair
    Free Member

Many motorcyclists have learned to especially watch out for diesel spills at the exits from filling stations or on nearby roundabouts. With an overfilled tank it tends to slosh out at the first few corners, just to provide some “excitement” for two-wheeled road users. Even though I know this and do look out, I’ve still had one crash on a roundabout because of it, on a wet day where it was really hard to see the diesel in time. I was also lucky in that nobody ran over my head…

Of course it does turn up other places too, and seems to be about on a par with black ice for grip.

martymac

i drive past the local bus station on my way to work, most of the buses in fife use a 300m stretch of road, i regularly find the wheels spinning in 2nd and 3rd gear.
    top tip: avoid places where buses/trucks frequent.
    also if you notice a bus/truck spewing diesel out, report it, checking the filler cap is a legal requirement at first use check (ie: daily)

Inbred456
    Free Member

Tends to be on roundabouts when buses go round when there tanks are full and it pours out. Very dodgy in a car must be lethal on a motorbike. Come on bus companies you have a duty of care to ensure your vehicles are safe for other road users. Must be something to do with the vent for the tanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Diesel on roads, ouch!’ is closed to new replies.