Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Did we do this? Aliens discovered
  • darrell
    Free Member

glitch in the matrix

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don’t know but it’s also in The Independent today so it’s being taken seriously.

It looks like the star hasn’t been surveyed in the radio spectrum as yet so the report was highlighting that a survey of that kind could be up and running as early as January.

Kryton57

glitch in the matrix

richmtb

Fascinating

Remnant of a Dyson Sphere perhaps?

molgrips
    Free Member

GHill

Astronomer 1: “We can’t explain this”.
    Astronomer 2: “Let’s just say it’s aliens, then we’ll get in the news”.

🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

glitch in the matrix

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t know but it’s also in The Independent today so it’s being taken seriously.

😀

It’s very interesting, but probably not aliens.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/10/14/weird_star_strange_dips_in_brightness_are_a_bit_baffling.html

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s just what they want you to think.

richmtb

Bloody astrophysicists with your “knowledge” and “science” spoiling our fun. We’ve no need for your type around here.

I, for one, welcome our new Alien Overlords

bikebouy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    That’s just what they want you to think.

Don’t panic.. thats what they want you to do…

Be great if it is ET, or those Greys out of Taken..

allthepies
    Free Member

Does the Kardashev scale measure how big an alien’s @rse is ?

mikey74
    Free Member

I, for one, welcome our new Alien Overlords

Welcome! Kent Brockman :mrgreen:

I guess, much like Alan Davies on QI and his Blue Whale, one day, the answer will be “Aliens”.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

Does the Kardashev scale measure how big an alien’s @rse is ?

😀

First communication from space will be “Alien Overlord wants to connect with you on LinkedIn”.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

It’s other aliens imprisoning bad aliens to keep them in their own solar system. For gods sake don’t start sending messages that way or plan to send a ship…

Pandora’s Star

CountZero

richmtb – Member
    Fascinating

Remnant of a Dyson Sphere perhaps?
    They’d almost certainly construct large orbitals at the Lagrange points before they managed to work up to the technology that would allow a Dyson sphere, that would explain the results they’re getting, if the orbitals are large enough to occlude the parent star’s light.
    I was reading about it on Zite the other evening, certainly very interesting, and a compelling argument for artificial structures.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Que?

I don’t understand what you are saying 😐

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I bloody hope it is aliens, we need someone to introduce a good slice of doubt into the overly religiously convicted. We could do with a lesson on how to inhabit this rock too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They’d almost certainly construct large orbitals at the Lagrange points before they managed to work up to the technology that would allow a Dyson sphere, that would explain the results they’re getting, if the orbitals are large enough to occlude the parent star’s light.
    I was reading about it on Zite the other evening, certainly very interesting, and a compelling argument for artificial structures.

Exactly what I was thinking but have they investigated the albedo?

Cougar

Interesting point there is, if it is aliens, it’s aliens from 1500 years ago. Who knows what they’re up to now…

GrahamS

All seems a bit

toys19
    Free Member

Interesting point there is, if it is aliens, it’s aliens from 1500 years ago. Who knows what they’re up to now…

About to arrive here?

geetee1972
    Free Member

About to arrive here?

Who said anything about ‘about to’:

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would you build an orbital at the lagrange point?

Pook

What has their sex drive got to do with anything?

slowoldman

Hmm. The paper referred to in the article suggests “exocomets” as the most likely explanation.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Now now you’re just spouting words with no meaning, which now makes us logical thinking folk feel we’re a bit thick..

Pack it in please.. 😐

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

So

1) we can see them with our piddly 21st century technology
    2) they’ve built mahoosive things that orbit the sun and are large enough to be seen by us from here.

In summary:

eek

bencooper
    Free Member

I think the problem is that working out the albedo depends on a model, assuming that you’re dealing with regular planets orbiting the star. These don’t seem to be like that. the lack of extra IR is very puzzling too.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Why would you build an orbital at the lagrange point?

L1 would offer good commuting to both earth and the moon, so that’s where the estate agents would want it

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If it’s aliens, wouldn’t we expect to have picked up some sort of radio/signals as well?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

H????????????????????O????????????????????W???????????????????? ????????????????????D????????????????????O???????????????????? ????????????????????Y????????????????????O????????????????????U???????????????????? ????????????????????K????????????????????N????????????????????O????????????????????W???????????????????? ????????????????????W????????????????????E???????????????????? ????????????????????H????????????????????A????????????????????V????????????????????E???????????????????? ????????????????????N????????????????????O????????????????????T???????????????????? ????????????????????R????????????????????E????????????????????C????????????????????E????????????????????I????????????????????V????????????????????E????????????????????D???????????????????? ????????????????????S????????????????????U????????????????????C????????????????????H???????????????????? ????????????????????S????????????????????I????????????????????G????????????????????N????????????????????A????????????????????L????????????????????S????????????????????

Thats the next step – the astronomers want to point a decent radio telescope at it.

Northwind

It’s very far away- radio pollution doesn’t really travel that far before it’s lost in the background noise. When SETI and the like look for signals, they’re really looking for aimed signals rather than pollution.

There’s a couple of other considerations. Possibility of other, less indiscriminate communication methods, which is often tied to the idea that maybe there’s a point where you start to look at unfettered radio pollution as a combination of spam, littering, and declaring your existance, naivety and lack of general progress to the universe. “Here we are, we’re puny AND we’re annoying, come at us!”

If you’re a Humungous Radio Space Jelly or whatever maybe having constant The Apprentice beamed at you is enough to say 1) Don’t speak to these guys and then maybe 2) Oh cool, they have an oort cloud, let’s shoot comets at them til they shut up. And if you’re an aggressive hegemonising swarm, all that rf is probably a nice appetiser as well as a beacon

matt_outandabout

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup. Broadcasting into space is just asking for an Outside Context Problem to come find us.

Yup. Broadcasting into space is just asking for an Outside Context Problem to come find us.

But as we all know, earth was dicovered by aliens in 1976 and is being studied as a control population.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Did we do this? Aliens discovered’ is closed to new replies.