Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • did my first cyclocross at the weekend
  • MadBillMcMad

My two boys enter the two youth races so it seamed rude not to have a go myself.

Entered on my singlespeed explosif which was ideal. could climb faster than most around me and certainly descend miles faster.

Boy was it muddy though – thoroughly good fun.
    I did not see any SS CX bikes – do people do it ?
    In all that mud I would have thought it would be a lot better.

MrSparkle

Which one did you do, Leverhulme Park? I did the one at Haslingden on Saturday. I was going to use one of my SSers but I thought 'No, it's a cross race – I'll use my cross bike.' Bad move. I've got mini v's on my crosser. Managed about 15 minutes before I ground to a total halt. £12 for 15 minutes racing. Bargin… :0(

MadBillMcMad

Aye Leverhulme park.

Spoke to someone who was at Hasi on the Saturday and they did say that that was a real mud bath. Apparently Leverhulme was easy by comparison.

oldgit
    Free Member

I see a few though not many!
    I've found that sometimes a singlespeed can have that ideal terrain/conditions or course like a riding sweet spot. I certainly found that on one particular MTB course where singlespeeds dominated. But certainly not in any of my leagues CX races.

samuri
    Free Member

If we're talking normal CX races, I've entered a few on my SS CX bike but the gearing is typically too high to be competitive. A SS CX bike most of the time needs to be geared to fit all conditions but it needs to be geared a fair bit lower for racing trim, IME of course.

Right now my SS CX bike is 44:16, WAY to high for the short sharp steep climbs found at places like leverhulme and what's that other one near the velodrome….?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I raced ss the first half of the season ss and have just swapped to gears.The biggest problem I found with ss was getting buried at the start,everyone sprints like mad leaving you spinning like a loon at the back.Then you're stuck behind much slower riders through all the tighter stuff.It was good fun,I'd be in the bottom 20 at the start and the top 20 at the finish-50+ overtakes!But my competetive streak has surfaced and I want @time difference not @1 lap on the result sheet before the end of the season!Ironically I've had 2 dnf's since having gears-bent mech hanger,twisted chain,fekked rear mech-£120 repair bill for yesterday.Might go back to ss!!!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I ran 34/16 which was a bit spinny at times but about right at the end!!Clayton vale is the one by the velodrome I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘did my first cyclocross at the weekend’ is closed to new replies.