Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Diamondback XSL Elite/ Mongoose Teocali Elite
  • acorlett

Anybody got any experience of these bikes, or know anyone who has?
    Have heard they run large for size, am wondering if I could fit a 20″ – I’m 6’4″, but can’t find information on geometry anywhere. Anyone know where I could find top tube length, standover height and wheelbase info?
    Seen Bikeradar review for XSL comp, but lists main problem as being the fork and shock, and the Elite has considerably better kit.

Equally anyone got any experience of 08 Teocalis? Have read all about their supposed naffness when standing, but wondering if anyone can confirm or deny how serious this is in a real trail situation…

Ta for any help received.

scraprider
    Free Member

hi m8 i have got a 2007 teocali comp, although the front fork is wooly , its useable, on the rear i have got a ROX SHOCK MC3.1 (motion control)i find it a great bike , 1 downfall is the horst link ( i think thats wat you would call it ) at the bottom of the bike has 4 small needle type bearings in it , which seem prone to water ingress and thus rusting, replacments are through local LBS or hotwheels direct, took about 7 days cost 20 squid, for the 4,easy to fit, no doght some eles will be along to say how crap its is lol , but i like it , and i stand up as well , ebay got some on at the mo , with better qulity parts on them , hope this helps, good luck cheers.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had Teocali Comp, I think a 2006 with the coil shock. Didn’t notice a massive difference stood or sat. A very plush bike and for all the reports of quirky pedalling and being a bit heavy, they climb well with excellent traction if you don’t mash the pedals and stomp. Never tried the stock fork, I put a Marzocchi MX Comp 120 straight on the front and it was great.

No issues with bearings either but they look fairly easy to replace.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Teocali 2008 spec and geometry from the link below

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/Products/Mountain-Pavement/Dual-Suspension/Details/2608–Teocali-Elite

i ride a Canaan elite which is basically a teocali with less travel .. 4 inchs .. and have to say its excellent to ride and awesome at climbing .. get one you wont regret it and thay are very good value for money … look at pauls cycles as they are heavily discounted from their website and you get excellent service to boot ..
    Hope it helps Tony

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone used the 09 XSL Elite? A mate’s got the ’07 version which was well specced but the mags reported lack of rear stiffness. There’s some great deals on new 09 ones…..

What they like downhill?

higgo
    Free Member

I had a Teocali (one of the first ones). I replaced the (awful) Manitou Splice and put a Pike on it. It was a bit on the heavy side but climbed better than it should. Downhill it was really good – in fact I did the Megavalanche on it.

I should point out that I cracked it twice. Despite not being the original owner the importers sorted me out with a new front triangle first time and a new swing arm second time. The design of the front triangle has changed over the years around where it cracked so it’s not really relevant to a 2009 model.

I have very fond memories of the Teocali. I’ve spent more money now on something better but if I was on a tight budget again I’d think about another one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Diamondback XSL Elite/ Mongoose Teocali Elite’ is closed to new replies.