Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Diamondback Mojito 29er – a few questions
  • clubber
    Free Member

I've got a few questions about the 09 Diamondback Mojito but can't find them online anywhere…

first, how long's the top tube on the 20" model?

second, how does it ride compared to the latest 29ers with the 'improved' geometry that apparently stops them riding like barges? I'd be particularly keen to hear from people who've got both or upgraded the frame for whatever reason

third, how heavy is it – is the frame a complete brick or is it inbred sort of weight and worth upgrading the bits on it?

four, what are the wheels like – as above, bricks or acceptable for a bit

er, that's it 🙂

Thanks

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

I have /had a Mojito, I liked it as a cheap entry into the world of SS 29er's. I have the 20" one, I'll get a TT measurement in a short while. Weight, I think it was just shy of 28lbs when my mate weighed it at the local bike shop. As for the wheels, they may be ok for a bit, I'm only looking to replace them now as I'm now committed to the bike, and I'm using it a lot more than I thought I would.

I replaced the frame, with a 21" On-One Inbred, I had no problems with the Mojito frame, it was just a tester to see if I liked 29er's. I got my Mojito here.

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

TT is 23.5".

collie
    Free Member

My experience is very similar to Lurchenstien's. I bought a £199 Mojito to try the 29er thing, I really liked it and bought a 21'' inbred just before xmas.
    I only ran the Mojito for 4 months as a winter SS and also a 1×9 and had no problems at all, the wheels seem ok and are still running well on my inbred although some more bling ones are on my wish list.
    It handled well and felt like a proper bike rather than a £200er. The extra stretch in the TT of the inbred suits me and allows me to run a shorter stem but the mojito didn't feel cramped with a 110mm stem (I'm 6'3'' with 35'' inside leg).
    Have you seen this?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIAMONDBACK-MOJITO-29ER-29-WHEEL-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-20-SIZE_W0QQitemZ250574961206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item3a576e7a36

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting to hear – thanks for the comments so far. TBH it's more to be used as a do everything bike – commuting, baby carrying with occassional offroad forays if the urge takes me.

I'd still be interested to hear how the handling compares with the 'good' 29ers though.

collie
    Free Member

My inbred, if you can call that a good 29er, handles better than the Mojito. The inbred feels fun with quick steering and zingy steel ride, the mojito felt a little more neutral and in no way handled badly. Plus, with it being an Al frame it puts the power down well and felt fast.
    I can vouch for its baby carrying capability, my daughter enjoyed many miles in her Hamax seat aboard the DB.

tinsy
    Free Member

I know nothing about them, had to google it up in fact… lovely looking bike that and very reasonable.. Can you go far wrong at £260??

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

I'll be agreeing with Collie on the feel of the Inbred frame over the Mojito frame.

Also, I can't remember where it was, but they can be found for around £245. The only reason I didn't get it from that place was that they wanted £30 to get it to the Isle Of Wight, which bumped the cost up to more than that of Winstanleys.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Clubber – my Mojito is on the way(20" frame only), but I've got all the kit to build it up so if you're still interested I can measure it all up and post it here…I've also sent an email to Rutland Cycles asking for the geometry chart, if they'll sent one I'll forward it to you.

BTW – Lurchenstein – thanks for the frame ;D

the-muffin-man

These look interesting – does anyone know what sort of weight they come in at?

singlespeedstu

clubber.

You'll only be dissapointed.

You've tried a few 29ers before haven't you?
    Do you really think buying a bottom end bike is going to change your mind about them.

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

Kazafaza – No worries, hope you enjoy it. It was posted this morning, so will be with you soon.

The-muffin-man – Mine was just shy of 28lbs, having only swapped out the pedals for a set of Odyssey PC's I had.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Diamondback Mojito 29er – a few questions’ is closed to new replies.