Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Diamond dilemma – returned (from ebay) carbon road frame – help me decide?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

So, I sold this Raleigh SP Team full carbon frame on ebay about a week ago. I thought I’d described it fairly as it had some paint flaking around the adge of the BB shell and I was confident that was all it was….anyway, the purchaser saw it differently and believed I’d sold him a cracked frame & therefore wanted a refund….that’s all sorted as I didn’t want to get into an argument or lose my feedback history.

So, I have the frame back. I’ve scraped away the flaking paint and all is well – as you can see in the pic below, the area I cleaned off is all alloy anyway, the paint was flaking off the ally BB shell and nowhere near any carbon. The frame is excellent quality, off a £5k Dura Ace equipped team spec bike and is exactly the same as the Team frame of 2012. It was bought on 2013 and only has 2 light racing seasons on it. RRP on the frame only was £1600!

I’ve sold the group set now (because I though the frame had gone!) and now I’m left with a dilemma.

The parts I do have are a full, brand new unused Sora group set, an old pair of RS80 wheels and a new seta post, bars & stem….plus the original Concor Team saddle that came with it originally. I reckon it’ll only be just over 8kg even with the heavy Sora kit.

So, do I:

1. Readvertise the frame
    2. Build with the kit I have and use it as a rather nice No 2 bike
    3. Build with the lit I have and sell complete

Not sure which option to take….I’m tempted by (2) but there’s probably value in selling it as a complete bike with new untouched parts….

Anyone got any thoughts???

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wk5wNF]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vEyhZb]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/wjXrbw]Untitled[/url] by velocipede65, on Flickr

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

given you initially went for (1) why would you not do it again? You can explain why it’s been re-listed (like you just have here) to reassure potential bidders.

Or can you message a previous unsuccessful bidder (or even the original buyer)?

velocipede
    Free Member

I know that’s the sensible option…..but now I’ve got it back I feel like playing with it….and if I don’t use that group set, I’ll end up buying another frame and starting all over again anyway…..!!!!

Surely you know that feeling….”mmm, there’s something lurking in my parts bin that I could build a bike around”

cookeaa

I know the feeling… Could you build it up for something a little bit different perhaps? Got a TT bike? Maybe kit it out as a bit of a Crit’ basher?

Maybe do a bit of 2, then after another year or two do a 1 or 3?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Start a thread on here masquerading as a legitimate question whereas in fact it is actually some next level astro turfing? 😀

schmiken

What size is it?

velocipede
    Free Member

@cookeaa – I like the “repurposing” idea – I fancy a few crits anyway, so…..and I also like your thinking on the 2 followed by 1 or 3 too….

@Rorschach – “next level astro turfing” – now you’ve got me!!! 😀

@schmiken – it’s a 55cm……centre to top seat tube and c to c on the top tube……

ctk
    Free Member

Eccentric BB and singlespeed it? I wouldn’t put Sora on it.

velocipede
    Free Member

@ctk – eccentric BB’s for a BB30 – is that even possible??

breninbeener

One industries eccentric rear hub. Would make an amazing fixie

rickon
    Free Member

Who on STW has time for more than one road bike?! Surely that spare time could be spent out on your mountain bike?

Superficial
    Free Member

Who on STW has time for more than one road bike?! Surely that spare time could be spent out on your mountain bike?

What’s a mountain bike? Have you considered visiting alternative forums for that sort of deviant chatter?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

That frame looks great, liking the paint and decals but I don’t see where that BB problem is tbh having looked at the pics.

Think he was an analised MAMIL in all honesty to even think there was a problem crack.

rickon
    Free Member

Think he was an analised MAMIL in all honesty to even think there was a problem crack.

Step away from the Google Images

munrobiker
    Free Member

I see it only went for £300.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55cm-Raleigh-SP-Team-carbon-frame-genuine-Team-Issue-frame-from-2012-13-/151743462687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23549d7d1f

If you are planning on building up another bike anyway with your spare bits you’ll need a new frame- how much were you hoping to spend on a replacement frame and will you get something anything like the quality of the Raleigh for that much?

If, however, you weren’t going to build up another bike with your spares until you got this back I’d just sell it as a frame – you weren’t going to be having another bike so you probably don’t need one.

IA

you probably don’t need one

When did that ever factor into considering a new bike?!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Head and Nail.

velocipede
    Free Member

I opted for option 2……..built it up last night…..nice and light even with the Sora kit and looks nice too!!

(may shift to Option 3 quite quickly though – I have an itch to scratch!) 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Diamond dilemma – returned (from ebay) carbon road frame – help me decide?’ is closed to new replies.