Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Dialled Bikes Alpine the ideal bike for Greece?
  • Andy-R

As a few of you know (and, of course, most of you don’t) I spend a fair amount of time in Greece – Platsa, in the Southern Pelloponese, to be more specific.

There are some fair sized mountains there (the Taygetos range)and some good riding to be found once you get to know the place. A lot of that tends to be dirt road climbing with descending either on the same or on Kalderimis (cobbled, steppy mule paths about 2 metres wide, often with multiple switchbacks) or Monopatis, which are basically just footpaths, often between dry stone walls and a lot of time just over the bedrock and pretty steep, because mules can go anywhere…..

So, not much that’s “flowy” but rather lumpy and technical with, in places, big penalties to pay for getting it wrong, either because of exposure or just because it’s all so f*cking rocky, thorny and unforgiving.
    Anyway, for the last few years I’ve just had my old ’95 Kilauea out there, with 120mm Marzocchis and a disc brake on the front, which actually isn’t at all bad but now I fancy building something else up and shipping it out for next spring/summer.

I’m thinking Mk2 Alpine but has anyone who rides this sort of stuff any other suggestions? Bear in mind that I am an old fart who won’t see 60 again but I do like technical, trialsey type descending (having been a trials rider, I suppose :roll:)so something slack-ish but still agile and that doesn’t make climbing too much of a chore, although actually, I like climbing.

xiphon
    Free Member

Full-sus with a lock-out shock (for the fire road climbs) ?

Andy-R

I’m not really that fussed about full suspension – I suppose I’ve just ridden so long on rigid and hardtails that I never seem to be able to do full suspension justice. I’ve got a Trek Top Fuel 69er lying about here that I never seem to ride (and it’s very nice) and I did think about shipping it out to Greece but if I never hardly ride it here then why would I there?

Anyway, here’s a kalderimi –

So, stuff like this (although this one is on Crete), plus sheep and goat tracks, old agricultural roads and the odd flight of steps in villages plus climbs up to around 2000 metres. I’m thinking slackish head angle, 140mm forks, low standover and dropper post compatible.
    Hardtail because I like them and less maintenance.

stevede
    Free Member

There are plenty of nice hardtails out there that would fit the bill, here’s a few off the top of my head:
    Dialled Alpine
    Stanton Slackline
    Commencal meta am hardtail
    kona Honzo
    Chromag Stylus
    Production Privee Shan

Andy-R

Yes, if money was no object then I’d most likely opt for the Chromag Stylus but as it is I’ll probably end up looking for a s/h Mk2 Alpine, probably an 18″.
    Many thanks for the suggestions anyway.

rockhopperbike

Orange Crush could be in the mix for this I would have thought

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Having worked as a guide in Lefkas, I’d personally go for the full-suss route.

But, if you want a hardtail, I think an Alpine would be spot-on (or certainly would be for the Greece I rode in). In fact I think it would be a huge amount of fun. 🙂

Alternatively, I’m selling a Brodie Holeshot Ti here. Just saying… 😉

Andy-R

Just looked at that Brodie – thank goodness (for the sake of marital harmony anyway)that it’s probably too big for me – I’m only 5′ 9″.

Yes, I know full suss probably makes a lot of sense, especially for somewhere as rocky as Greece is but every time I’ve ridden one I’ve come away feeling underwhelmed. Old dog/new tricks, I suppose…..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Fortunately (unfortuntely?) yes, it’d probably be a little on the large side. You may even want to look at a 16″ Alpine too – Mike has increased the length of the top tube in the new/current marque.

Are you anywhere near Finikounda then? I’ve ridden out there, many moons again.

honourablegeorge

Oh man. I wish I hadn’t seen that Brodie.

Andy-R

We can see the lights of Petalidi and Koroni at night from our house, because we’re just across the Gulf of Messinia (about 60kms south of Kalamata and at about 400 metres above sea level) but not Finikounda as it’s further round from Koroni and hidden from us. I’ll have to have a trip over to the other peninsular again as I haven’t been there for at least five years.

Thanks for the info re. top tube length on the Mk3 Alpine – yes, if I end up getting one of those it’d be the 16″ I’d be wanting.

Andy-R

honourablegeorge – Member
    Oh man. I wish I hadn’t seen that Brodie.

Your size, I take it? 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Identiti (financial) Krisis?

I’ll get my coat

goby

I been looking for a mk2 alpine 18″ for a while, they never come up though! 🙁

catvet
    Free Member

Andy R
    I have a Proto Orange Crush 650 frameset, (think Orange Five Hardtail) 67 HA 73 SA, 16.5 inch seat tube, internal dropper post ready (30.9) long front centre so no old school over the bars feeling on descents. 140 mm fork.
    650 is future proofed, as quality 26er components sadly will be out of the game shortly.
    Now the deal is this, I bought this frame from Orange and I am selling it in aid of Michael Bonney ( the Ceo) of Orange Mountain bikes who had a terrible accident on a road bike leaving him paralysed from the neck down, Michael is unable to even breathe for himself. Any monies I get from the sale will go directly to MB’s trust to enable him to convert his house so he can be at home with his wife. The frame has a value, BUT look at as you get a free frame for a donation (via me) to a very worthwhile cause.
    So make an offer of whatever you feel is reasonable please
    Whats not to like?!!
    Pics or details phwill77atgmaildotcom
    PS This is a private sale not related to the company Orange MTBs
    PPS AndyR the frame is bright orange so if you do stack it, rescue will see you!! I am only a couple of years your junior, and a stack is always a possibility!!

honourablegeorge

Andy R – Member

Your size, I take it?

My size, would fit every component from my Soul except headset (which he’s included), seat clamp (also included) and seatpost (but it would fit a Reverb I have lying around), is slightly longer and slacker than the Soul which both suit, and is raw, like my other bikes. However, it is not free, which is a big drawback.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Alpine would be perfect, you’ll probably want a 16″ rather than an 18″ I reckon though.

Andy-R

davidtaylforth – Member
    The Alpine would be perfect, you’ll probably want a 16″ rather than an 18″ I reckon though.

If it’s the Mk3 with the longer top tube then yes, certainly.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My size, would fit every component from my Soul except headset (which he’s included), seat clamp (also included) and seatpost (but it would fit a Reverb I have lying around), is slightly longer and slacker than the Soul which both suit, and is raw, like my other bikes. However, it is not free, which is a big drawback.

😆

I’d love to give it away, but unfortunately the friend who’s Alpine 160 I hope to get wants money for that too.

It really is a dog eat dog world. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We can see the lights of Petalidi and Koroni at night from our house, because we’re just across the Gulf of Messinia (about 60kms south of Kalamata and at about 400 metres above sea level) but not Finikounda as it’s further round from Koroni and hidden from us. I’ll have to have a trip over to the other peninsular again as I haven’t been there for at least five years.

That’s probably when I was last out there.

Quite jealous at the moment – assuming the weather is good, it’s a lovely time to out on the Med.

eulach

I really wouldn’t be too worried about the extra top tube length if a MkI or II turns up. They ride lovely anyway.

Andy-R

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Quite jealous at the moment – assuming the weather is good, it’s a lovely time to out on the Med.

Don’t get too jealous – I’ve been back on the not-quite-Mediterranean Isle of Man for the last four days.

Wet, grey, cold, damp – what’s not to like? 🙄

Andy-R

Catvet – thanks for the offer of the Orange Crush but I’ll probably stay true to my old school roots and go for steel.
    The only bike I’ve ever owned that’s not had a steel frame is the Trek Top Fuel and I don’t really get on with that, so it must be an omen…… 👿

Clink

Sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.konaworld.com/honzo.cfm

jambalaya
    Free Member

Alpine is more 160 than 140 with regard to forks I think. It might be worth dropping mike at Dialed (he posts on here FYI) an email to see how he’d compare Alpine with a Prince Albert (PA) for what you want. The PA would climb better and might suit 140 forks equally well but still be enough bike to deal with the descents. Away from Dialled you could look at something like a Cotic BFe. Happy hunting

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Andy R – Member

davidtaylforth – Member

If it’s the Mk3 with the longer top tube then yes, certainly.

The MK1 came in 15″ & 17″ sizes, with a range of toptube lengths. Think it was 15 with a 21.5 or a 22 and 17 with a 22 or 23. I had a 17″ with a 22″ TT and it ride very nicely for downhill, but a bit short for proper seated xc stuff (I’m 6’2″ though).

The MK2 was when he changed the sizes I think, to a 16″ or an 18″, these had longer TT lengths. My mate had an 18″ and it was fairly long, at least to long for someone at 5’9″ I reckon.

I used mine with 130mm forks for general hacking about, 150mm zocchi 66’s for Pleny, Les Gets, Mega etc.

I’d probably get it with something travel adjustable, U turn Pikes or Lyriks would be good I reckon.

Definitely a top frame though, it seemed to ride downhilly stuff in the alps better than my BFe did. Sold it to a mate who used it with Boxxers for downhilling in the Alps, he then sold it to a mate who did pretty well at the Mega on it if I remember.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

With the MK3 I believe Mike also added 1/2″ to the top tube again, so people over 5′ 10″ can ride them without bashing their knees on the handlebars.

But yes – Andy R – drop Mike a line. He’s a nice guy and normally very responsive.

I’d probably get it with something travel adjustable, U turn Pikes or Lyriks would be good I reckon.

This would be a good call too. Oddly enough, I have some 2011 110-150mm Sektors with 20mm axle I need to pass on… 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, looks like the top tubes got even longer with the MK3

samj
    Free Member

Hi Andy

I ride a lot in Israel where the riding is very similar to what you describe. Plenty of rocks and technical riding.

I own a Mark2 Dialled Alpine fitted with fox 36 RC2 (110/130/160) – i never use the 110.

I think the bike is perfect for this type of terrain. It climbs well (and mine is not the lightest of builds) and descends amazingly well.

I would probably build up with a lighter fork – especially if you don’t need the extra travel, i think it rides well at 130 on the flat and while i dial up to 160 on the more technical descents, a fixed fork at 140-150 would suit well perfectly imo.

Here is an exmaple of the terrain:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBPplnDELrI[/video]

Although admittedly that was ridden on my Orange 5 – my other bike, the interesting thing is that although sometimes marginally slower on the alpine, i’m almost always smiling more at the end of the run.

I also tend to the alpine for longer rides, and it is always first choice for rides just after the rain – where the loose stuff that usually sits on the surface gets bedded in.

If you are looking for less travel might be worth taking a look at the new Prince Albert.

Regards,
    Sam

zerocool

I’d use you Trek as you’re more likely to want to Full suspension out there than back here, especially if you never use it here.

Andy-R

Some excellent info and informed opinions here guys, so for that thank you all very much. At least it seems that I wasn’t a mile out when I thought that an Alpine would be a good all-rounder for the sort of stuff that I ride and I think that’s the way I’ll go – as I won’t need it until next spring at the earliest I can try and find a s/h Mk2 frame and take it from there.
    I’d really like the new Mk3 but, as with everything, that depends on whether I can scrape the pennies together and sweet talk my wife…..

The Trek is still an option and I might ship it out there anyway as I hardly ever use it here. In fact, thinking about it, it would actually be pretty ideal for the Taygetos MTB Marathon if I decide to ride next year, as that’s all about climbing and descending on fireroads without much in the way of technical stuff.

Decisions, decisions….

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Bikes Alpine the ideal bike for Greece?’ is closed to new replies.