Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Diabetic friendly PARTY food
  • bearnecessities

It’s one of my minions 50th coming up, and I’m setting up a work based banquet for her. Which would be easy if it wasn’t for the fact she’s recently been diagnosed as diabetic (she’s completely turned her eating habits around as a result, so not keen on just “ah, it’s only one day” lazy approach; would be an opportunity to help her discover new ideas).

I’ll be making a proper cake with allotment strawberries, which I’m sure she’ll be tempted to have a little slither of if she wants – I know she’ll feel like some kind of leper if there isn’t a ‘normal’ birthday cake there.

I’ll be asking colleagues to make things to bring, but any ideas as what can be made for party/buffet food – links or recipes would be really appreciated so I can organise this, rather than everyone turning up having made some god awful sugar free cake 🙂

Snacks, savoury stuff? I’ve no idea and google is driving me a bit mad. You lot are brutally honest with your reviews, which would help.

Much appreciated. Rich

tjagain

Diabetic diets ae much less strict than they used to be given advances in testing tech. Is she insulin using or not? I think its all about balanced healthy eating now not carb counting. For example in hospitals we no longer use sugar free jam for diabetics

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Recipes/

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Recipes/Recipe-Search-Results/?searchWord=cake

kelvin

Make sure you can identify the amount of carbs in each item/portion and it’ll be fine.
    Keep the packets for snack etc to hand to be able to read carbs off them.

Drac

As said advances in meds and the condition means things aren’t as strict. Ask her for advice unless it’s a surprise of course.

bearnecessities

Thanks. It is a surprise (well, hopefully).

As far as the diabetes, she was told back in Feb that she was ‘pre diabetic’ and was then told after a check that she was in fact diabetic. She’s not on any medication as the docs are wanting to see what numbers she can bring it down to (and I believe she’s close to non diabetic numbers, although she was told she’ll always be diabetic even if numbers down that far). She’s cut out all carbs and is only eating certain fruits.

I’m confused now!

tjagain

Ok if its for a surprise

Cake with artificial sweetener not sugar

Savories with wholemeal flour and known carb quantities

Outcakes with stuff on top not pasties

tomhoward

If you value/appreciate/fancy/simply don’t hate this lady, for the love of god don’t buy ‘diabetic’ sweets and snacks, they are utterly rank, not particularly good for anyone and likely to give anyone that eats them a dose of the trotts.

As above, just make sure you know how much carbohydrate is in each portion.

cornholio98
    Free Member

We have birthday cakes and such at work and the diabetic (doesn’t inject insulin) guy asked for veggies with dips for his celebration. Mind you now many of the people at work are on reduced sugar diets…

bearnecessities

Thanks everyone. Have ended up in a world of diabetes researching now, which is probably a better thing to do.

Thinking of creating a little note to slip into the birthday card to show carb content of the foods on offer, so she can make her own decisions from some of the recipes above.

..and Tom, it’s ‘value/appreciate’. Dirty boy.

(Oooh, burger toast?)

tomhoward

Nah, burger toast would have loads of carbs in.

In the bread, obvs. Aside from that it’s fine 😀

bearnecessities

True. Burger Lettuce Wraps doesn’t have the same ring.

Christ. Can you imagine that? Cold burger toast on lettuce.

tomhoward

I know, bluergh!! The lettuce would ruin it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Diabetic friendly PARTY food’ is closed to new replies.