Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Di2 problems
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Been loving Di2 but six months in and it’s now developed a fault. Will shift up on the cassette but to shift down takes a good few prods of the button. Suspect a dodgy contact in the lever.

Anyone else experienced this? If so what was the fix?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Best thing to do is get it to a Di2 dealer who has the diagnostic tool to give it a check up.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That is the plan for lunchtime today.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh dear, they are having to keep my poor bike in overnight so they can hook it up to the diagnostic machine in the morning 🙁

tomhoward

It’s ok, they can fix him, they have the technology…

Jamie
    Free Member

….unfortunately, it might cost a bit.

zilog6128

Oh dear, they are having to keep my poor bike in overnight so they can hook it up to the diagnostic machine in the morning

That sucks, it’s a bloomin bike not a BMW!

wwaswas

they can hook it up to the diagnostic machine in the morning

I had a car like that ‘it only goes wrong first thing in the morning’.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s still under warranty so hopefully shouldn’t cost me anything. It is frustrating though as it’s the first time I’ve had something wrong with any of my bikes that I’ve not been able to diagnose and fix myself.

… and I miss my bike 🙁 I wonder when visiting hours start tomorrow?

Jamie
    Free Member

I wonder when visiting hours start tomorrow?

Depends. Any royals giving birth in the same workshop?

plus-one

Best thing to do is get it to a Di2 dealer who has the diagnostic tool to give it a check up.

The reason I’m giving Di 2 a miss forever 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

It is splendid when it works. Also it looks like the newer ones (with the internal battery) have an USB socket so you can plug it directly into your PC (so you don’t need the silly diagnostic box.) Wouldn’t have it on a touring bike though.

ransos
    Free Member

The reason I’m giving Di 2 a miss forever

Cos mechanical STI shifters never break?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well it’s been hooked up to the diagnostic computer and had its software upgraded and now it’s all magically working again. The chap at the shop was at a loss to explain why it wasn’t working in the first place. Bit of a concern!

Toasty

Cos mechanical STI shifters never break?

More because you don’t need a diagnostic computer to find the problem I’d guess 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

The only problem I’ve had with mine is sticky energy drink sticking the battery to the attachment point. Don’t think a software upgrade will help with that unfortunately.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who cares what he thinks, it’s all about what the computer says

mrblobby
    Free Member

Broken again 🙁 Intermittently fails to shift down the cassette and now on occasion will shift down two sprockets. Bit disconcerting when on a ride and a couple of hours from home.

retro83
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

Broken again

Or more likely they never fixed the issue which as you originally suspected is a dodgy contact in the lever?

eshershore
    Free Member

@mrblobby

the 11 speed Di2 with the USB port will only allow firmware upgrades.

it will not allow access to the diagnostics package. this requires the SM-PCE1 kit.

we’ve had a number of customer with firmware problems the past few months. Its normally sorted with a firmware update.

Be aware that some shops will not know how to do this properly, which may have caused the ongoing issue. Unless the mechanic has been trained by Madison / Shimano it may be hit and miss if they actually know what they are doing. I have seen instances where mechanics have “skipped” parts of the full procedure.

We’ve also had several customers with faulty STI shifters, either from a hard crash (requiring purchase of new shifters)

or just an electrical fault has developed into one of the micro-switches. Madison have always sorted this under warranty quickly.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Is it a necessary firmware upgrade? i.e. I have Di2 but haven’t had any real problems…

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I thought DI2 was a silly idea BEFORE I knew that having a problem meant you had to go to a dealer with a diagnostics machine.. seriously?

It’s a bloomin push bike..

Shirly they could make the firmware home-upgradeable??

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks eshershore. I am tempted to get hold of the diagnostic interface thingy as it’s been the first time I’ve had a problem with any bike that I’ve not been able to fix myself and it’s pretty frustrating.

I’ve really liked having Di2 as when it works the shifting is brilliant, but this is tarnishing the experience somewhat. I now feel like I’m just waiting for it to fail completely, probably while out on a long ride.

My money’s still on either a dodgy micro switch in the shifter, some sort of stickiness in the rear mech or as an outside bet, a loose connector. Back to the shop this week 🙁

SamB
    Free Member

The firmware is home-upgradeable on the 11-spd Di2 kit – I’ve done it myself when I was installing the new grouppo 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah as eshershore said, believe it’s upgradable but you can’t run the diagnostics… right?

mt
    Free Member

Why not have the levers connected to the derailleur by some sort of wire arrangement? I know it sounds a bit Heath Robinson but it could work especially if there was some sort of spring involved.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Why not have the levers connected to the derailleur by some sort of wire arrangement? I know it sounds a bit Heath Robinson but it could work especially if there was some sort of spring involved.

Are you reading this forum on a Babbage Difference Engine? 🙂

charlierevell
    Free Member

Just buy the box, then you can update til your hearts content… Can also change shift patterns and multi shift etc.

eshershore
    Free Member

@mrblobby

the SM-PCE1 is actually available for consumers to buy, despite what some bike shops have been telling riders

if you have bought a Di2 equipped road bike, and want to be able to maintain your bike at home (and have a PC) I would ask the dealer to sell you the Shimano kit at a reasonable price so the shop makes a small profit

(I guess this would be around £150 bearing in mind trade price, VAT and shipping to dealer and the dealer’s admin time to order the item)

the full diagnostics access is brilliant, the best example was the 2012 Paralympics (spelling?) where we had a lady who asked us to switch the rear mech shifting function to the left shifter as she found it hard to use her right hand on a constant basis. I won’t say who she was, but it was awesome to see her on TV and the results she got 😉

the 1/2/3/constant shift function is also clever to suit riders needs.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I had a similiar issue with a friend’s bike.Check all connectors.Pull them out and press them back in.My friends bike had a loose connector at the brake lever.It did move again which was fixed with a bit of electrical tape! I believe the hand movement on the bars had somehow moved it back out of the lever.There is a junction box near the bb which may involve removing cranks to get too.I would try connectors at Mechs and levers first.
    Thanx,
    Max

mt
    Free Member

Mrblobby it’s a Logertith machine used in conjunction with Leo. I mean why change stuff. Now were did I leave my abacus.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Technology HAS gone too far if it causes this much fuss when it goes wrong.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Di2 problems’ is closed to new replies.