Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Di2 electronic shifting mtb – yes please
  • psychle
    Free Member

that is rather lovely isn’t it? look forward to the day that this becomes ‘affordable’ for the masses 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

Had a spin on Di2 equipped road bike the other week, bloody amazing it was too. Loved the auto trim feature.

handyman153
    Free Member

Bit early to get to excited..

But i am working on a Di2 shifter that is integrated into the lock on part of a grip.
    This might not be the best place to talk about it, but if your interested (just in the workings) drop me a email, and i can keep you up dated.

Also feel free to criticise, i’m a 18 year old, having a year out between A-Levels and Uni, so need something to keep me entertained.

Josh..

dhrider
    Free Member

I had a play with Di2 a few days ago, it is amazing how it auto sets just by you pedalling then as you are moving the front mech moves to work in with your chainline!!

I think it would work fine on an xc bike in the dry but I’m not sure how well it would cope with a bumpy track and mud thrown into the equation!!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Worked fine in Paris Roubaix, so bumps and mud and dust shouldn’t be that much of a problem.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

sven nys and niels albert use Di2 for muddy cyclocross no probs!

I like the sequential programming idea, super tech!

njee20
    Free Member

I worry slightly about the sequential programming thing, you’d have to ‘learn’ what it was wanting to do and what the sequence was. I can imagine wanting to drop a gear to attack on a climb and it decided to shift on the front and dump half the block on the back it could be a little messy!

glenp
    Free Member

That example, njee20, is why it has a manual mode.

I like the idea of the normal mode that just won’t allow cross-chaining, which is heinous crime. But really all that is needed is to make it law that though shalt not cross-chain, and the punishment to be all cyclists within range should laugh and point at the accused.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Can you set it so the gears maintain a constant cadence? Ie the gears are fully automatic?

Perhaps you could programme a map to give you different cadences depending on how hard you’re trying?

I bet the UCI hate all this!

AyUpRhino
    Free Member

There are quite a few Di2 MTB bikes around the world, of people doing there own modificiations. Search on weight weenies website..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

More needless crap to get us to spend loads of money on….

(Sits back and has cup of tea)

ac282

I think part of the point of Di2 is shifting is so good that you can change rings and dump half the block without a problem.

Interesting that the show bike uses a solid outer ring. Maybe shimano’s claims that a stiffer big ring helps shifting are correct.

highclimber
    Free Member

US$12,000-13,000 😯

AyUpRhino
    Free Member

There are also a few people on that weight weenies forum (uni student) who has a home made electronic shifting as well that looks good.

glenp
    Free Member

Completely agree, btw, that this technology is pointless.

Some key virtues of the bicycle design: Simple, cheap, reliable, self-serviceable – this breaks three of those straight away!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Does it come with a motor in the hub that increases your speed by 20%?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

can someone explain to me the advantages? I see downsides in needed electronics and batteries.

AlexSimon

The full write up of the project is here…
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7362

I think the point with projects like this one are you fun you have doing it. Not necessarily whether what you’re doing is useful or not.
    Although I think in this case, there will be people wanting it. It wont be long before the kit is cheap enough for people to get programming auto gearboxes and the like.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

That image is not representative of owning a bike that one uses ‘full- time’ in all conditions. I’d like to see an extended test, that included a full winter of axle+ deep water and gritstone/schist mix that’s typical of most of our favourite play areas.

I remain optimistic however 🙂 would love the group-O on, say a cervelo S3 or Van Nick 😛 😯

Soup
    Free Member

This is all nonsense. When the day comes that a bicycle relies on batteries to simply work, we should all hang our heads in shame. The only shifting problems I have ever had were due loads of mud in my cassette. This will not change anything.

retro83
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

The full write up of the project is here…
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7362

I think the point with projects like this one are you fun you have doing it. Not necessarily whether what you’re doing is useful or not.
    Although I think in this case, there will be people wanting it. It wont be long before the kit is cheap enough for people to get programming auto gearboxes and the like.

That is amazing! 😯

mcboo
    Free Member

+1 wot Soup said

Solution looking for a problem. Pointless.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so the rear mech is cable operated from the front one ??

AlexSimon

Well personally I welcome something that ‘enthusiasts’ can hack.
    It’s not really possible for many folk to get out their CNC machines and do cassettes, mechs, etc. But bodging electronics is something many people love to do. Finding an application to a bicycle is cool.

It doesn’t mean we all have to have it ffs!

njee20
    Free Member

That example, njee20, is why it has a manual mode.

Thus totally defeating the purpose of the object!

I like the idea of the normal mode that just won’t allow cross-chaining, which is heinous crime.

Although with a double the chain line is much healthier, I do find myself using big/big much more than with a triple, undoubtdely it’s not perfect, but it doesn’t make the horrible noises that a triple set up does, it’s more like being in middle/big after all.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

make it law that though shalt not cross-chain, and the punishment to be all cyclists within range should laugh and point at the accused.

How terrifying

soulrider
    Free Member

no problem???

you should try riding a whole scottish winter without at least 2 cable changes!

Am not necessarily convinced by the auto changing, but electronic shifting can definitley be a leap forward in reducing maintenance. All it needs is to be correctly sealed. Modern high powered lights manage this so it shouldnt be a problem here either.
    And looking at the cyclocross boys using it, it seems to be an already solved issue of the system.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Agreed it may be pointless overkill for a mountain bike but that bike still looks the nuts, which is surely all that matters 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

soulrider – Member

no problem???

you should try riding a whole scottish winter without at least 2 cable changes!

My cables last years – and only cheapies – and I do ride all winter. They do need lubing tho every few weeks

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

(Another thread with plenty of luddites)

I think the solid chainring on that bike is because it’s a carbon chain ring.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Hey paulrockliffe

Withoug googling, can you explain where the term Luddite originates 😛

Fun aspect only, no ‘axe-to-grind’ hidden message 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Di2 electronic shifting mtb – yes please’ is closed to new replies.