Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Di have to provide glasses for manual workers?
  • mos

I know i have to provide them for VDU users if required. But if a person needs the to read or drive a fork truck or read a delivery note & see generally, is it still my responsibility? Or can i turn them away at the gate for being a 50 year old feckless p1sshead who spends all their money on booze & fags not coming to work apropriateley dressed.

simon_g

It’s only for VDU users if they need special/different ones for VDU use. If they need them for everyday life and are fine for VDU use as well, no obligation beyond the eye test itself.

Nothing I’m aware of for other people, although if doing things like driving a forklift you probably have a duty of care to ensure they’re medically fit to do so.

Easiest thing would be to send them for an eye test, and if they need glasses then require they wear them.

robdob
    Free Member

I would have thought that if they needed glasses they would be wearing them already? If they needed protective eyewear you might have to get prescription protective eyewear (my dad got these in engineering place he worked at) for them maybe? But if they don’t need the added protection then I can’t see why you would have to.

Speshpaul

the only other case I have heard of is, where eye protection is needed whilst working on very small things. Hundreds of little wires in my case. So rather than having goggles on glass’s work provides me with prescription safety glass’s.

Don’t see how that would work with fork lift driving. He should be wearing the same glass’s that he wears for driving.

Eye tests are generally free.

rugbydick

Yep, all of the above is true.
    If your risk assessment says that forklift truck drivers need protective safety glasses, then you’d have to get them prescription ones (assuming they’re an employee of yours, if not their own employer (i.e. agency or self-employed) needs to provide).

lerk
    Free Member

Actually, I’m not sure there is an obligation to provide prescription safety specs… Safety over-glasses would be sufficient. (if a little stingy)

grumpysculler
    Free Member

If your risk assessment says that forklift truck drivers need protective safety glasses, then you’d have to get them prescription ones (assuming they’re an employee of yours, if not their own employer (i.e. agency or self-employed) needs to provide).

Or ones that fit over normal glasses. Custom prescription safety glasses for every required employee is beyond what the Act requires.

If specs are required for driving, you might not need to provide them but you would need it to be company policy that drivers wear them.

If someone is a contractor, it may not be your responsibility to provide PPE but you must still ensure that they have it and use it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Di have to provide glasses for manual workers?’ is closed to new replies.