Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • DH/uplift alternatives to BPW and Stiniog?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Want to do an uplift day before Alps trips in July.
    Done Stiniog twice so fancy something different, doubtful we’ll get an actual uplift day at BPW (don’t fancy riding up TBH). What worthy other options are out there?
    Did Hopton Woods donkeys years ago but not sure if it’s still going/any good.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Hopton is still going on certain days, but if you’re into DH stuff why not give Revolution a try?

rascal
    Free Member

Revolution? Pardon my stupidity but what is that?

volatilemike
    Free Member

Revolution definitely worth a visit. Great uplift.

Gawton supposed to be good (never been myself)

Cwmcarn

Triscombe

Karl33to
    Free Member

Has to be Revolution bike park, that place is the mutts nuts

goldenwonder
    Free Member
    Simon

Innerleithen

rascal
    Free Member

Googled Revolution.
    No beginners or intermediate…only advanced, expert and pro!
    Guessing by that the advanced will be at least like the red at Stiniog?

volatilemike
    Free Member

yeah, but with less rocks. the red is more of a freeride line, I think it joins onto the black for the last bit but I haven’t been for a while so could have changed. still hurts when you crash but loam is softer 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Forest of Dean is great for beginners, or anyone really.

Home

Also Inners as mentioned.

rascal
    Free Member

FOD looks good.
    Been to Morzine 3 times before so I know what to expect….but will be very rusty!
    I’m adjusting a few things on the bike and got a few bits of kit I want to try before we go and don’t want anything too full on.

bombjack
    Free Member

Big recommendation to black mountain cycle centre, had an awesome day there at the end of last season. Proper old school uplift with a tractor also.

Rosss
    Free Member

Gawton is great, Tavi woodlands are just 2 minutes down the road. Join the two up and you’ve got more trails than you could ride in a dat ranging from fun easy tracks to jumpy line and full on DH race tracks

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ae and/or Innerleithen…

Uplift Scotland

iolo
    Free Member

Get a few mates together, get a van and head over to Foel Gasnach and do your own uplift.

Home

It’s members only but just pay the £10 annual fee and ride there as often as you like.
    There’s 4 tracks varying from quite easy to bloody hard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anything in Shropshire on a wet weekend, should be perfect prep for morzine

wallop

I love Forest of Dean for warming up the Alps mojo.

stevied
    Free Member

There’s a new(ish) uplift in the Black Mountains. Mate at work went last week and was impressed.

Homepage

welshfarmer

The Black Mountains centre is a couple of miles down the valley from here and owned by a friend of mine. A few of us went down last week for an evening. We got 6 uplifts in within 2 hours (last run was exciting in the semi dark!). It runs fantastically fast and is a riot. I don’t do jumps as a rule but the place is so well built that after a couple of runs just rolling stuff I started launching of it (still in a mincing way) like I wouldn’t have dreamt of before.

Highly recommended. PIck a day after dry weather though as it is not armoured and would be slick as after rain. At the moment it is fantastically fast. Give Joe a ring as he is laying on extra mid-week uplifts if there is enough interest and if you can get 6 or more of you he will happily do a one-off evening session

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Moelfre do uplift days (mtbuplifts).

And, on occasion, but not as frequently as last season, you can do an uplift at One Giant Leap at Llangollen.

The full on BDS track through the woods is probably as good as it gets for Alps practice!!

nigew
    Free Member

Hopton uplifts are still running, have a look at Pearce Cycles, they run them at Bringewood and Bucknell too.
    You will be fine at Revolution, the hardest trail is Ffar Side but even then there are chicken runs or you can push/ slide down 😳

Both places sell out quickly

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Descend Hamsterley – always a friendly uplift service and a fine variety of tracks

ahwiles
    Free Member

+1 Hamsterley.

the up-lift is very quick, you’re basically racing the van to the bottom.

and there’s about 16 different track options.

make a weekend of it, take your trail bike, and ride the Xc stuff on the other day.

bloody great.

fingerbang
    Free Member

you really should get to Revolution mate. Its amazing

if you’ve been morzine a few times then the tracks shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t there’s anything there that’s steeper than inners for example

the uplift is great as well, and is like an Escher impossible drawing – i.e. you only sit in the back for 10 mins or so but then you’re at the top of the hill and have a shitload of descending to do.

Revo!!!!

I defo need to get down black mountains 😀

kimbers

Nant Gwrtheyrn is a great track and venue, but uplifts are sporadic

http://www.simplydownhill.co.uk/page2.html

nigew
    Free Member

Descend Hamsterley – always a friendly uplift service and a fine variety of tracks

+1 for there too

peachos
    Free Member

Revs have the best DH tracks on these shores. Fact.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Does hamsterly run in the week or is it weekends only?

rascal
    Free Member

Does anyone have first hand experience of the uplift service at the Forest of Dean?
    Wondered how many runs you can expect in a day…just for comparison we did 13 runs at Stiniog a few years back but their vans run back to the top on a very regular basis….cheers

welshfarmer

We got in 13 runs one day last summer, pretty much banging them in with no messing about sessioning stuff, or stopping for photos or such.

grahamt1980

Did 14 last sunday at FOD, that included missing a couple of uplifts to beat the queues in the cafe at lunch, and to get home a little earlier.
    Should be easy to get 16-17 in a day

welshfarmer

Yeah I seem to remember we arrived late and the bus was already running so may have missed a few in the morning

Karl33to
    Free Member

FOD uplift runs pretty well in my experience, it’s not the quickest of uplift routes as it goes for a few miles around the local roads, but can still get a good 14 to 16 runs in a day.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Was there today, easy double figures

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘DH/uplift alternatives to BPW and Stiniog?’ is closed to new replies.