Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • DHR2 front…..what to put on the rear of a 29er?
  • Shackleton

So, now that the trails have dried up a bit I don’t need the Shorty on the front of my Banshee Phantom so I’m moving the DHR2 from rear to front. But what to pair it with?

I’m riding in Scotland (Dundee) so local trails are soft forest earth, moorland or rocky trails. I was thinking an HR2 2.3 but reports seem to suggest that it is draggier than a DHR2. The minion SS is pushing my luck too far in terms of local trail conditions and putting a DHF on the back seems perverse. Is another DHR2 the best bet?

I can only buy one tyre and for some reason mixing tyre brands brings out my inner OCD and makes me sad so something from the Maxxis range please!

DeeW
    Free Member

I ran DHR2 front, HR2 rear last year and liked it a lot. HR2 shallower tread and more ramped so made sense as a rear for me.

Shandy
    Free Member

Maybe try a DHF

wilko1999
    Free Member

Recently changed out my rear from HR2 to DHR2. I’d read conflicting reports over which was faster rolling, but for me the DHR2 is definitely faster. However, that’s not really why I changed it, just a bit of a bonus.

chiefgrooveguru

My two wheelsets approach (Spitfire and Zero AM share them) is Shorty 3C or DHR2 3C front, DHR2 dual or Minion SS rear. I’ve only just mounted the SS so no feedback yet. For what you describe I’d go with the DHR2 dual, that’s my plan for looser steeper trails, the SS for our flatter harder ones.

Northwind

DHF just to hurt people’s heads
    DHR 62/60a? I usually like softer compounts but this really works well.

I put an old faithful ardent 2.4 on mine at the weekend but tbh it doesn’t have much more braking grip than the slaughter I have, and it’s a fair bit slower.

chiefgrooveguru

I really like the dual compound DHR2 on the back – I’ve never ridden a tyre that allows you to stand so hard on the side knobs when pumping a turn, without blowing through their support with that (admittedly cool) brraaaaap! sound.

I’ve mentioned a few times that the HR2 2.3 seems obsolete now we have the DHR2 2.3 which brakes, drives, turns and rolls better in the vast majority of conditions.

Shackleton

Looks like the DHR2 dual compound is the way to go then. Ta all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘DHR2 front…..what to put on the rear of a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.