Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DH1 Cancelled before it even started.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/DH1-Canceled-Redbull-Media-House-Tackles-World-Cups.html

Bit disappointed really if that is the case. I don’t get why they would pull the plug just because Red Bull will be showing DHI. I was really looking forward to watching both series.

GavinB

Probably not worth trying to compete against a massive company like Red Bull though, unless you can grab some equivalent sized sponsors. Dunno really.

I’m thinking this is probably going to be good for the coverage of the World Cups though.

neninja
    Free Member

I wonder where this leaves the weird Rocky Roads Network announcement earlier in the year that they were UCI MTB main sponsor and would be screening the events.

AlexSimon

hmmm – well I guess I’ll wait and see what coverage we get.
    It could be great.

Freecaster have done an absolutely fantastic job over the 3 years I’ve been watching. Good for them for not letting the UCI trash it for everyone. Lets hope Red Bull can take over as worthy promoters.

Fingers crossed for Rob Warner continuing. He’s done that Red Bull x-fighters commentating so there’s a good possibility.

Northwind

Shame, but I think they’re right enough, the justification for DH1 was the UCI making such a disaster of the broadcasting for the world cup after all so if they’ve abandoned that, then mission accomplished. Still a great shame for Freecaster though.

wrecker
    Free Member

Pretty disgusting really. I really feel for the freecaster guys, set up an alternative because the uci didn’t give a **** just to be outdone by red bull. IMO the uci have been undeservedly bailed out, it may well result in being a very positive move for DH but the uci deserve no credit for it. Bloody good on freecaster and red bull, up yours UCI. Pricks.

kimbers

Bloody good on freecaster and red bull, up yours UCI. Pricks.

+1

AlexSimon

There’s a new article on Facebook.
    The long and the short of it is that they haven’t decided what to do yet. Although it sounds like they would now struggle as their USP to sponsors is now gone (i.e. free broadcast).

Outlook to 20122011 ends with many reasons to be satisfied:- The MTB DH season crowned four great champions: Aaron…

Posted by DH1 on Monday, December 19, 2011

Just tell the UCI to **** off its like the FIA a complete shower of bunga bunga party nobbers.

andytherocketeer

Might be worth Freecaster getting in on the 4X tour, especially since UCI unceremoniously tossed them out with the trash (although some of the proposed not-UCI 4X rounds are at same venues as UCI DH on the same weekend).

AlexSimon

I guess it’s going to come down to whether Trek/Giant/Santa Cruz/etc agree that the UCI are a…

complete shower of bunga bunga party nobbers

If DH1 can get the riders/teams, then everything else will fall into place.

But I have my doubts – Danny Heart wouldn’t be getting the widespread coverage he is now, if it wasn’t for the status of the comp being the “World Championships”.

My wish list would be:
    Only one series
    More races on the Calendar – 10-12
    Regular calendar (every fortnight over Summer for e.g.)
    Points system designed so that you can have a bad race or two and still be in contention
    Live free web coverage
    Rob Warner
    Eurosport coverage with commentary by someone who knows what they are talking about.
    See full runs of top few riders (maybe last 10).
    Alternative cameras like helmet/chest/bike on some riders.

I know this will be contentious, but I wonder about the wisdom of running a parallel Women’s series. If it stood on it’s own, how many viewers would it get? I’m not for parity amongst sports, unless there’s a clear case of demand.

cookeaa

Might be worth Freecaster getting in on the 4X tour, especially since UCI unceremoniously tossed them out with the trash (although some of the proposed not-UCI 4X rounds are at same venues as UCI DH on the same weekend).

+1

I would really love to see more 4x not less – compared to DH it’s far and away the more “TV friendly” sport: shorter course is easier to cover (Cheaper coverage?), plenty of on course action and spills to keep the ADHD afflicted viewers glued, plenty of oportunities for sponsors to get logo’d riders in front of the cameras…

IMO the UCI have dropped a massive bollock in marginalising the Discipline, but I’m sure they know better…

cookeaa

As for the “Announcements” Re: DH1, Redbull and UCI DH it’s all rumours and BS it’ll all change next week.

I heard that Ant and Dec were being contracted to do the commentary for the next 5 seasons as the UCI felt it lacked “Geordie Fist-Magnet Appeal” – FACT!

Just remember you heard it here first

Trek/Giant/Santa Cruz/etc agree to throw own bunga bunga party.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DH1 Cancelled before it even started.’ is closed to new replies.