Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DH wheelset recommendations
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Looking at some pro 4s on hope DH rims. Should I bother looking at anything else? Ta!

riklegge

I’d look at dt ex471 as they are strong but relatively light.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes just can’t really find any wheelsets with them. It’s all custom so bumps the price up it seems

alpineharry
    Free Member

How heavy a rider are you? Hope rims might be a bit soft? I’ve got some on my nomad and i suppose i’m quite a hard rider but only weigh 70kg on a good day and i’ve already dented one after 7 or so rides.

When I had my downhill bikes I had various pairs of superstars, but always the 595 rims, not sure if they do those anymore. Other than that mavic 821’s etc seem to be quite popular.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I am 80 kilos of raw power. 😀

Are hopes known to be soft? I might just get some ex 471s built up in my existing kore hubs. But they aren’t orange

rhid

I went for some superstar dhx’s.
    They were cheap and they are great!

grahamt1980

Have gone for the tank dhx wheels from superstar personally.
    They were cheap so i don’t care if i kill them.
    Will get a set of hope and flow ex at some point though

rhid

That was my thinking too. Looked at a load of different ones then figured I am never going to win any races to the Superstar ones will be fine!

scaled
    Free Member

I’m a serial wheel killer and have been running an ex471 on the rear for about a year, yeah I managed to flat spot it a bit but that’s nothing compared to usual rate of attrition.

killed it with this though!

Got an FR570 up front, that’s even more bombproof but ~100g heavier

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

not going superstar, not a chance!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Superstar all the way for me, so inexpensive and take so much abuse.

I spend most of my time in the air and no issues whatsoever

My old Demo had some Mavic 721’s I wouldn’t hesitate to get them again either.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

471 every day of the week

gonzy
    Free Member

OP…to get the strongest build you’ll need to go down the custom route and i’m afraid that will come at a price

i’d recommend AtomLab DHR rims…a bit on the weighty side but absolutely bombproof.
    i’ve had mine for more than a decade and after all the severe abuse they’ve had they’re still running perfectly true…granted they are 26″ but you can also get these rims in 27.5″.

tomhoward

29″ ones 😈

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DH wheelset recommendations’ is closed to new replies.