Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • DH tyres
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any recommendations? It’s time to replace my 2.5 ST Minions. Ideally I’d like something a bit lighter, but obviously grip is the most important thing.

I was looking at the Spesh Butcher Sx, but can’t seem to find them.

Cheers folks.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!!!

GW
    Free Member

exo minions? (if you can afford em)
    single ply minions? (if you can manage not to rip/nip em)
    Dunno what the score with Spesh’s DH tyres over here haven’t seen Butchers either and Clutch/Chunders (esp SX) were difficult to get hold of (when I tried anyway)
    Bontrager seems to have a minion copy out now too, no idea about casings tho – so go have a look)

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Maxxis have change the compound on the minion exo 3c to softer compounds. It’s call maxx-terra and is 50a centre, 42a sides on a 70a base. So should be pretty much as grippy as a the 2.5 42a but in a 2.5 single ply. Not sure whether they’re in the UK yet?

GlennG
    Free Member

For grip (wet, gloop/mud) I have started running the Spesh Hillbilly DH tyres on my Wilson, seem very grippy although not light. Normal conditions (dry and dusty Sierra Nevada, etc.) run dual ply 42a/60a 2.5 minions front and rear (front tyres on both wheels).

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Spent years on Maxxis but now converted to 2.5 Conti Barons black chilli for DH and 2.2 RQs black chilli for trail riding, no regrets and no more “what tyre” dilemmas 🙂

jedi

i had nightmares with conti tyres years ago and recently heard great things about them so got a pair to use tubeless. (2,2 rq) they grip and roll amazingly but the rear kept blowing off the rim and wnent all mishaped 🙁 trying schwable hans dampfs tonight for the 1st time

_tom_
    Free Member

Pleased with my Clutch SX tyres. Coped well out in whistler in both the summer dust and fall rain/mud, and the 1.5 ply sidewalls held up with only about 3 pinch flats the whole time. Much easier to get on and off than minions and high rollers as well 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Oooo the Clutch SX look good. I might go for some Conti Barons on my trail bike tough.

Cheers folks.

XXX
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of lightly used clutch sx for sale. email me if interested

mikey74
    Free Member

XXX – YGM

Northwind

I really like the Clutch SX… Not that I’m particularily good or fast but still, that means I ask a lot of my tyres 😆 A bit super-tracky Miniony, a bit Highrollery… better at some things and not worse at anything, is my experience. Never flatted them but then, I don’t flat much. They last astonishingly well.

(there’s a Control 2bliss version as well incidentally, if you want that sort of thing- ~750g, big, grippy, but slow)

Hillbilly is good too if things are wet. Don’t have much to compare it with apart from swampies and worn-out wetscreams, neither of which are much good anyway.

Simon

Where can you get the Clutch SX Control 2Bliss. When I looked in the summer I couldn’t find any.

Northwind

The Control is a different tyre to the SX- tough singleply rather than ply-and-a-half so lighter again, but the same rubber and tread pattern. Not easy to find- I got one from the classifieds here and the other from Evans, but they thought it was an SX.

Simon

Ah, right I ended up with a Clutch SX 1.5 ply. A lighter single ply 2Bliss would’ve been better. I’ve found it really grippy but it doesn’t half drag compared to an Eskar.

Northwind

Aye… Mind you it sticks like spunk in the bath, compared to the eskar. I got right fed up of dragging mine round glentress black at the weekend, pedalling down deliverance trying and failing to keep up with a mate who was freewheeling… Not an all purpose tyre.

_tom_
    Free Member

My SX say 2bliss on the side, does that mean they aren’t the 1.5 ply version after all?

Northwind

No idea about that I’m afraid. Control and SX are different carcasses but no reason there couldn’t be a 2bliss SX, never seen one though

(my SXs aren’t marked 2bliss, but they did bead up and seal up effortlessly just the same as a 2bliss tyre)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘DH tyres’ is closed to new replies.