Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Devon c2c
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I’ve done a little search on this but not come up with much, so this is a plea for anyone thats done it recently to help with mapping.

My bro has been trying to get fit so has asked me to do this ride with him, we plan to set off from Ilfracombe and go to Plymouth and then back again, with a little camping on the way.

From what I gather its just a case of following the NCN routes (27 and 31), Ive got some rough maps of the route but its not detailed and I dont want to be going in circles trying to pick up a route I’ve lost.

The route also seems to have changed alot over the past years and thats why someone thats done it recently could shed a little light for me?

Any other advice people have will be greatly welcome, as I’ve not done touring before. I’ve never even ridden with a cycle rack on before!

Thanks in advance,

Phill

antigee

did it a couple of years ago and not local so don’t know much about route changes – relatively i remember it as well signposted compared to other long distance routes – the start from ilfracombe going south(!) is the only bit i remember feeling a little negative about as after short traffic free section are in some banked/narrow/steep lanes full of holiday traffic for a bit until pick up old railway line for quite some way – memory says more than 50% traffic free and those bits flattish with some steep hills on roads but enjoyable – we did a big/hilly road diversion in middle to stay at this pub – no idea why!

http://www.southwestbusiness.co.uk/news/Ale-real-winner-landlord-Roger/article-954686-detail/article.html

singletracksurfer

I’ve done it… twice. Once in a group over 3 days and another on CX bikes in 1 day.

It’s not quite all on NCN trails – a few bits use some nice off road bits instead of the road. It’s mostly off road on cyclepaths so not technically challenging but was a very pleasant ride and a good one to catch up on chat with as you can ride 2 abreast.

It’s in this book http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Mountain-bike-rides-to-the-South-West-A4-size.html

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Doesnt sound like anything to worry about then, I’ll have a map with me just in case, otherwise follow the yellow brick road eh?

Cheers lads.

imp999
    Free Member

The imp family and dog did it last year and it was a nice ride.
    I had each day routed on Memory map then on to a simple Garmin but it was well signed.
    We B&B’d it with 30 miles per day – too long for youngest(10) as it meant we were getting in, eating and going to bed on a couple of occasions.

MadBillMcMad

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ydbqdzrgmfdgaytm

Not done by me but a friend & his wife on a tandem.
    They loved it.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

As everyone else has pretty much said already,

It’s a pretty well marked trail, goes a bit vague around Braunton. Sustrans do a map covering the entire route which was handy for getting out of Ilfracombe.

I’ve done it twice once on a tandem stopping at Okhampton and once in a oner on my Hardtail.

Gets a bit lumpy getting into Okehampton and then again getting into and out of Tavistock.

Have fun and enjoy it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Devon c2c’ is closed to new replies.