Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Devils staircase, ciarans path, out and back?
  • stupot
    Free Member

Planning to head out of Kinlochleven, over the military road, and down Devils staircase, then climb back up and over the military road (ie reverse the route) then rather than descend straight to Kinlochleven, cross to the dam and down the ciaran path.

Does that sound like a sensible plan, good route?

thegreatape
    Free Member

No obvious flaws that I can see. When are you going?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good day. Hellish climb at start, descent from top of devil’s down to conduit is best bit. Better than CP.

stupot
    Free Member

Saturday, will be heading up to Torridon after so could be a long day. ‘Top of devil’s to the conduit’ is that heading north?

Freester

The only flaw I can see is on the way down the Devil’s Staircase all you’ll be thinking is “I’m going to be pushing back up here in a minute”.

Apart from that it’s all good.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yeah, he means the bit when you go north from DS to the upper penstock (the building where the pipes stop and the conduit starts).

You may bump into a chirpy Yorkshire lad on a green Heckler doing it North to South on Sat/Sun. If you do say hello, it’s my mate Jonny, and he’s raising money for Yorkhill kids hospital who looked after his kid when it fell out of the loft.

birky
    Free Member

The 6 Days Trial is on this week, saturday is the last day and there will be a lot of bikes on the trails around Kinlochleven.

http://ssdt.org/2016-ssdt-scottish-six-days-trial/2016-04-25-22-14-25/day-six-route-saturday

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Not done DS in the direction Kinlochleven to Glencoe, but have done it a couple of times in the reverse. I’ve always done as you describe and followed the conduit to dam, crossing the dam wall and descending Ciaran Path.
    CP is worth doing but doesn’t flow particularly well. A bit stop-and- start.
    The descents off the Mamore Lodge side (eg Grey Mares) are worth doing if you’ve got time.

scotroutes

I wouldn’t bother descending the DS. You get the best view at the top.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother descending the DS. You get the best view at the top.

Agreed.

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m with Scotroutes on this; I’d not bother descending from the top of the devil’s Staircase southwards to Allt na Feadh. While it’s reasonably fun, it doesn’t really reward sufficiently for the effort in getting back up and remember it’ll often be busy with WHW walkers.
    If the Trials is on, I’d def suggest you check their programme carefully because if they’re on the Ciaran, you don’t want to be!
    I like the Ciaran path and while the occasional climbs are a pain, a dropper post and a positive attitude deals with most of them so overall it’s a very rewarding descent.
    Ec is right too- the Mare’s Tail is also great fun, along with its neighbour.
    Is the Macavalanche still on this weekend?
    So much to ride, so little time…

stupot
    Free Member

How long to do the suggested ride if you don’t drop into Glenncoe?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Do you mean if you don’t ride down the Devils Staircase and walk back up, but turn round at the top instead? That would probably cut around an hour off, give or take.

stupot
    Free Member

Yep that’s it, what do you reckon for time for the rest of it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Devils staircase, ciarans path, out and back?’ is closed to new replies.