• This topic has 54 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Desire users
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone else gutted about the poor camera and dismal radio?

Am thinking my nokia N86 wasn’t so bad after all….

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Not really. Camera is okay but I bought it as a smartphone not as a camera.

Radio is as good as any other phone I have had.

Regards

jools182
    Free Member

not tried the radio yet

camera is ok, better than an iphone 3 at least

IA

Well known fact HTC can’t make cameras for toffee. Or maybe make them out of toffee, it’s one of the two…

Don’t happen to still have the n86 do you?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Legend’s camera is pretty good, at least compared to the 5800 it replaced which was absolute bobbins

cynic-al
    Free Member

No I flogged the N86 but I am begining to regret it 🙁

I knew neither feature would be great but they are both sooooooooo poor!

Given the N86 did maps, sportstracker etc I am wondering what I would miss, maybe I should look an an N8.

rootes1

i think the desire camera is quite good, does what i need it to.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought the camera was okay. Never going to fill a posh gallery with what I take on it but it does the job for work and silly snaps.

Radio is pants though. I gave up with that. Otherwise, I’m loving the phone.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The camera is fine. I have a D5000 for when I actually want to take photos and videos and only use the phone camera for opportunist shots.

Not used the radio and don’t plan to either.

GrahamS

Why use an fm radio when you can just listen to Internet radio?
    Loads more choice plus the ability to record, pause, etc.

stumpy01

Not bothered about the camera. I use it but not ‘critically’ and it does a good enough job for what it is. It also has a very good close focus ability.
    Not a shade on any of the SE camera’s on their phones of the last few years, but hey ho.

Same for the radio. Never used it that much, but it is pretty bobbin. But it’s not built as a radio and there’s only so much space for things like speakers. As mentioned above, aren’t you better streaming radio off the interweb??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why use an fm radio when you can just listen to Internet radio?

May give that a go.

Agreed mobile cameras are never going to be as good as slrs, but they can produce a print-able picture – my DEsire rarely does.

mintimperial

It has a radio?

*looks*

Oooh, so it does, how quaint.

kevin1911

Well I share your disappointment with the camera. Coming from an N95, I was used to the camera being quick and producing sharp images. The Desire seems to have a lag of 1-2 seconds between pressing the button and the picture being taken. And it seems to take ages to focus. I had thought the 2.2 upgrade was supposed to improve the camera functionality, but I can’t say I’ve noticed any change.

verses

As others have said, internet radio is the way forward (assuming you have signal), I’ve only used the FM Radio once, just to check it worked 🙂

As for the camera, it’s not great, but I’m happy enough with it for fun shots when I CBA carrying a camera. Mrs V’s w995 takes very good shots (disclaimer: for a phone).

Given everything it else it can do, I find the camera and radio limitations to be reasonably minor.

orena45

I found the Desire camera to be much better than the one on the HTC Hero I had before, but agree, no-where near as good as the camera I had on my Nokia N82 with xenon flash (that was a really good camera phone). However like Verses says, the quality of the rest of the phone more than makes up for it!

I use the FM radio occassionally (my data allowance would be eaten up by t’internet radio…probably), but I find the quality really does depend upon the earphones you’re using – my Sony Walkman earphones picked up an excellent signal but my new Seinheisser one’s aren’t as good despite being decent earphones of similar quality/price bracket.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting that earphone cables affects reception quality, I am using new sonys, may try something else.

stumpy01

cynic-al – Member
    Interesting that earphone cables affects reception quality, I am using new sonys, may try something else.

I’ve found the hands free that came with the phone works better than the Sennheiser’s I normally use on my iPod for the radio. I guess they’ve got directional ( 😉 ) copper or something in them……

takisawa2

The camera on my Desire HD seems ok, but given its 8mp I expected a bit better. Seems to have a lot of lag between pressing the “button”, & taking the shot. You hardly going to be grabbing action shots with it. Not overly impressed with the phone to be honest, nice big screen but it seems almost slow & “jerky” if you know what I mean, not as slick as the actions on the iphone. And the screen is too sensitive. Typing is a nightmare but I’ve got stupid big fingers though. Its good for browsing the net though.
    I’d have had the iphone4 but the cost put me off.
    Desire HD pic…

IMAG0021 by pten2106, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK downloaded an Internet radio app…can’t get BBC Radio 4 on it 😡

fbk
    Free Member

Which one are you using? I use “Tunein” and get Radio 4 no problems.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK ta will get that one

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s ace BTW, thanks.

DickBarton

Don’t use the radio so no probs from me. Camera is good. Quick to turn on and no lag that I’ve noticed. Only problem with the camera is the zoom – I can’t tell any difference between zoomed in and zoomed out in any of the pics I’ve tried. Is a great phone for me. Loads of apps to customize and tailor to my needs. Battery life is grim but I will get a bigger battery soon.

I really like it.

ross980
    Free Member

Bit OT but any other comments cynic-al? I’m due an upgrade from an N86 in a month or so and am considering a HTC or other android phone. I’m quite a big fan of sportstracker though, is there something similar available?

the_lecht_rocks

i have tune-in and google listen and sometimes when walking and listening to the FM radio, my subscribed google listen ‘podcasts’ cut in ?????

desire hd here btw……..?

any ideas ?

i’ve had to uninstall google listen unfortunately ?

DickBarton

I think sporttracker is now available for non Nokia devices. Not sure if Android is covered. My Tracks seems to do an ok job but depends what you want. I use MapMyTracks for my online viewing of my routes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dick – bigger battery? The zoom is digital btw.

Ross look up emdomondo – more or less the same thing. Otherwise it depends on what you are after. Big screen and all sorts of apps, gps, maps etc. Battery life is worse but not too bad, camera is crap in comparison (but ok results in easy conditions) and radio is too but streaming is great.

It’s not quite as nice as the iPhone to use but way better value

DickBarton

I’ve found 2. One is a 1600 thing and doesn’t affect shape. Other is 3000 or 3300 thing but adds bulk to rear and has a new back plate. Both about 25 quid. HTC suggested the 1600 but said it would void warranty. They also said they were working on a higher capacity unit but no idea when. Links later when I get on my home machine and bookmarks.

Digital zoom is fine but I see no difference between pictures taken on phone or once uploaded online. Doesn’t appear to zoom much at all.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I find the camera okay but its terrible in anything other than very bright conditions. Speaker quality is also dire on hands free mode. Other than that, its a great phone.

toys19
    Free Member

is there a navigation tool like nokias ovi maps? I have a htc desire |HD coming on monday and want to be able to use sat nav..

DickBarton

Yes, I think it is called Navigate…not used it yet but it is there…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The zoom function on any phone camera does nothing more than enlarge the image. Without a movedable lens, it cannot zoom in

DickBarton

Battery 1 (the 1600 thing) – http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/seidio-innocell-extended-life-battery-htc-desire-p24215.htm

I can’t find the 3000 thing link any more…bottoms…

DickBarton

Yes I know but the actual enlarge feature (rather than Zoom) doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference…from what I can tell, this is the only downside to the camera I’ve found so far – I’ve used it a lot and uploaded plenty of snaps with it – it does a very good job I find…just this zoom/enlarge isn’t as good as I had on my N95 or LG Renoir previously. I’ve found I don’t need to use the zoom much anyway so it’s not a huge issue for me (actually from the camera side it’s the only issue but it’s not something I find annoys me daily)

toys19
    Free Member

Yes, I think it is called Navigate…not used it yet but it is there…

I can’t get to the bottom of wether it’s a free service for actual directions, fancy trying it out for me?

l45key
    Free Member

It’s free. It uses google maps and is very good, even showing traffic conditions.

st

After looking on one of the Android forums there are all sorts suggestions to improve the camera which revolve around the plastic cover built into the phone back.

I took photos of the same scene with the back cover on and off and the difference was marked. One suggestion which I tried was to polish the cover with a small amount of toothpaste which made a difference. This is something you’d need to regularly but saves the faff that some suggest which is to spend around 30 quid on a small watch glass which is the dremelled down in diameter by .5mm and is used to replace the plastic cover.

DickBarton

toothpaste? Weird…it’s an abrasive…

Got any links to the forum so I can have a read as well please? I’m utter tripe at taking pics but if I can improve the skill-replacement-tool to make it looks like I can take pics then I’m all for a read and experiment!

toys19
    Free Member

toothpaste? Weird…it’s an abrasive…

I know it sounds counter intuitive but lenses and pretty much all polishing is done by abrasives. I’m struggling to think of an example or even a mechanism where polishing isn’t done by abrasives, except using chemicals..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Desire users’ is closed to new replies.