Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Descent to Samoens from Les Gets/ Morzine. Taxi!
  • Ambrose

Two questions I suppose.
    1- Is there a ‘best’ route? There seem to be a few variations shown on the map. If I put in extra uphill effort is it worthwhile?

2- can anyone recommend a good taxi operator who will take two riders and bikes back up the hill?

GPXs would be nice if anyone has a spare one…

Cheezpleez

Can’t help with your questions but keen to hear how you get on. That should be a cracker!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ride back up!

Ambrose

Cheers. It might be epic.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Col de Joux Plane on an MTB might be a slog…

piemonster

Col de Joux Plane on an MTB might be a slog…

It’s going back a few years now, but it’s not that bad. So long as you go into the climb expecting to be climbing for a good while you just settle into a rhythm and spin up. Don’t remember it being sloggish in anyway.

Was a nice sunny day mind you.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times on my road bike. It’s a lovely ride.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Col de Joux Plane is a pussycat compared to some, easily rideable on a mountain bike…..taxi would be a real faff.

jambalaya
    Free Member

YGM

IMO the ride back up is for massocists, taxi is easy to organize either back to Joux Plan or direct to Morzine

twelveski
    Free Member

Saved this contact from a thread a long time ago, so may not be any good any more?
    David (taxi.david.samoens@gmail.com) €60 for a minibus

egb81
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy going up the Joux Plane on an MTB. It took me about an hour on the road bike.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy going up the Joux Plane on an MTB. It took me about an hour on the road bike.

So a couple of hours on the MTB then? Doesn’t sound too bad to be honest!

nickc

Thee are worse climbs, it’s stern at the start, but steadies to a nice rhythm as you go on up. Worth it, just to say you’ve done it surely?

traildog
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier climb than most passes in the UK. It’s not steep, just a steady pedal. So long as you are going steady then it’s fine.

Years ago I stayed in Samoens and ended up pedalling over the climb most days. There are off road routes as well, but they are pretty tough and steep.

nickc

We are discussing going from the Croix Du Mapallet? or somewhere else?

jambalaya
    Free Member

So a couple of hours on the MTB then? Doesn’t sound too bad to be honest!

20 euro in a cab or two hours of your holiday/energy on a road climb ? As MTBers we don’t go to the Alps to ride up roads. I’ve spent many hours climbing in the Alps but not where a taxi / bus / train / lift was an option.

@nickc – yes as you say its steep at the start then steady, 1200m ? The route I emailed the OP which I believe is the standard one involves about 100m of road climbing in the middle.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

As MTBers we don’t go to the Alps to ride up roads.

I’m fairly certain all MTBers do not want to do exactly the same thing when they go to the alps.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed @tenacious but in this instance I’d pay the taxi fare. Another STWer I shared my route map with did the descent on the MTB and the climb on his CX/tourer bike with his Mrs having dropped a car in Samoens the day before.

I just shared some MTB routes with the OP in another thread which have climbs in them but they are in the “backcountry”.

Ambrose

Sorry for the delay in returning to this thread. TBH as a return to Les Gets I was thinking about riding back via the smaller road that the descent clips in a few places. The return via the main road must be horrible. Yuk.

TAXI!

Stu_N

Go Massif will take you, give them a phone when you’re out there. We used them a couple of years ago to get across to Morzine then rode back to Samoens. If you’re flexible on times then might get a deal if they can combine with a drop off or pick up. There’s loads of riding on that hill but if you’re coming off the Bourgeoisie then main trail is pretty good value.

Joux Plan is a tough climb, almost exactly 1000m ascent. I’ve ridden it half a dozen times on road bike and gone about 2/3rds of way up to do descents off it. Let’s just say while I enjoy the road bike, I wouldn’t chose to do it ion MTB if I could get a shuttle sorted. Many better uses of energy.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We did this route on my very first visit to the Alps. We were staying in Morzine. We got the route from the guys at Flow MTB, ended up getting one of the lifts up from Morzine, and riding towards a huge cross on top of the mountains. The descent into Samoens from there was incredible. We had lunch in town and rode back up a loooong road climb to morzine.
    It took us all day, the most memorable part were the two 70yr old naked Germans who passed us on the road. Stoped to chat to us whilst we cooled off at a water trough. 😯
    I didn’t know the route, as I was following the guys leading, so can’t give you much in the way of details. Got some incredible photos too. (of the scenery, not the naked Germans!)
    Sorry.

alexxx
    Free Member

I used to live in Morzine for 4 years so got a lot of mates out there who run transfer companies… the bigger ones probably aren’t interested but you can try CAB9 (Richard aka Dicky) He’s also done day trips to Pila and interseason uplifts if anyone wants his deets!

http://www.cabninetransfers.com/Morzine/MTB

He’s super friendly and would likely be able to hook you up with no hassle.

I recommend getting as high on the lifts are you can from les gets then cycling along the road and to the joux p lac at the top… you then cut up to the left and follow the walkers path all the way along to the cross. I wouldn’t bother going any higher than this but the cross is worth getting to for the scenery. It’s a great shot of mont blanc and if you’re lucky he might not even have his cloud hat on!

Enjoy

Ambrose

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Descent to Samoens from Les Gets/ Morzine. Taxi!’ is closed to new replies.