• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Descending Pedal Pin Length: better girp + more power? (rainy & knakered sunday)
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

was just watching a techie vid about the fly paper pedals and had a bit of a thought, do you think this would work,regular flats have pins like this:

8 8 8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8 8
    bearing
    8 8 8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8 8

I was thinking about pedal rotation and foot angle, how that when pointing downwards its good to have your heels down slightly and that got me thinking, what if I changed the length of the pins to this:

8 8
    8 8 8 8
    8 8 8 8 8 8
    bearing
    8 8 8 8 8 8
    . . . .8 8 8 8
    . . . . . . . 8 8

now when your foot is in contact with the pedal, the pedal would be angled to a slightly more "heel down" position by the flat sole of your shoe, do you think this would work or make the slightest bit of difference??

sonic
    Free Member

how exactly do you think this will acheive a heel down position? and do you have trouble acheiving a heel down position as it is?

MrNutt
    Free Member

nope no trouble achieving a heels down position, just wondering really

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

Problem is that your foot doesn't sit on top of the pins. Sits on the pedal, pins dig in and stop your foot from sliding.

And even if it didn't, it's a rubbish idea… 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmmmm

igm

Doesn't the pedal rotate anyway? That is to say what ever angle of heel down-ness you do or do not adopt the pedal will rotate to compensate. If you get heel down now, then this will not help (or do anything much except remove pins and possibly a bit of grip).

And that's before you consider jam bo's answer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Descending Pedal Pin Length: better girp + more power? (rainy & knakered sunday)’ is closed to new replies.