• This topic has 53 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by AT.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Derby Velodrome ??
  • AT
    Free Member

Looks like theirs plans for a Derby Velodrome

Derby Velodrome

Will it every happen ?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

That's great news! I may need a new bike for it but I'll bear that cross when i have to 🙂

Moorways wouldn't be too bad a site – hell, it's 5mins from where i live – but I'm not holding my breath until building actually starts. There's plenty of time for DCC to get distracted by monorail plans and the like in the meantime…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhh, thats nice

More to the point, why is Manchester getting a £19million building to house a £20,000 indoor BMX track?

Even their own figures don't add up, they recon on a larger attendance, 360 days a year, for the lifetime of the center, than even a well attended national race! (350+ per day IIRC). £19million, that'd buy 160 copies of the Derby's new BMX track, which would do much more for the sport! Indoor dream in Sheffield is the kinda scale that indoor BMX is just about viable at.

I'm all for investment in cycling, but £19million for a niche just because it's at the Olympics? That could buy a lot of trail center in parts of the country where people actualy live rather than Scotland, great for hollidays, but not for the majority of the population who live 7+hours from Glentress!

AT
    Free Member

I think the chances of it happening are very remote. Councils like to make these announcements before any funding is in place.

It would be great if it did, would save an 160 mile round trip to Manchester.

aP
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like a nice wish, to be honest, and will the Derby BSF happen?

the-muffin-man

Well Derby do seem to be on a re-generation mission!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

re the BSF scheme; yup, AFAIK Noel Baker is pretty much finalised and they'r waiting for the dynamite and bulldozers.

Bream
    Free Member

It would be a great thing if it happened, start help a new generation of track racers.

In olden days, there was a velodrome as such at Moorways, back in the 1900-30s I think but got tore up in later life when the cycling part moved away from the athletics sideYe'oldy type info.

samuri
    Free Member

sounds like great news, the more the better and Manchester Velodrome shows how popular these things can be.

edit: Plus it'd stop those brummies coming up to Manchester. 😉

Blackhound

The velodrome was still there in the early / mid seventies but was taken down when Moorways was developed iirc.

Would be good and the plans for a 2km road circuit, probably a bit like Eastway stadium used to be would also be useful.

Derby Mercury have been expanding, even young people coming along, in the last 5 years or so and the Notts & Derby cx league is popular. Nice and central in England as well.

aP
    Free Member

I really can't see the council paying £40m on a roofed velodrome, when for about 1.5% of that they could get a 250m outdoor track. Does the UK really need 6 covered velodromes?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

£20m isnt just for the BMX track…….

There is a few retail outlets, office space, storage area, mechanics space and workshop, training facilities, and lots of other stuff…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£19m would build a new school, benifiting 1000(ish) kids daily, could even put BMX on the PE curiculum if you liked.

Even if it lives upto its hype, its for 1/3rd of that.

It's a monumental waste of money. Anyone remember the national museum for poular music, or the milenium dome, spectacular examples of why top heavy initiatives don't work.

Spend the money putitng a BMX track in every town, or a pump track in every village?

joemarshall
    Free Member

or the milenium dome, spectacular examples of why top heavy initiatives don't work.

Although now isn't it the UK's most successful music venue, so sometimes things do work out okay in the end. Oh and Manchester Velodrome, the British Cycling track teams being spectacular examples of why a top heavy initiative can work (whether or not you agree with their targets of winning olympic medals etc. they clearly did what they set out to do).

£19m would build a new school,

Is there a big shortage of school places in the area? If not, what the heck would be the point of spending that money on making a new school, it hardly benefits anyone to have an empty school hanging around?

Joe

AT
    Free Member

Looks the the new velodrome may be on my door step as the proposed site is Moorways.

Derby Velodrome

aP
    Free Member

I still don't consider that a roofed velodrome is good VFM. They'd be better off building a 250m open air training track like the ones that BC is proposing elsewhere.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I've never riden in a velodrome, but if the Derby on gets built its something I would like to do – and I get to buy a new bike! 😆

Crell
    Free Member

I think they were originally trying for one of the 250 open air tracks in Alvaston Park – so things have clearly moved on.

I can't wait, though another bike isn't going to go down very well 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

The problem with track cycling in this country is the weather. Outdoor tracks are great, but they are summer use venues, and even then training and race meets can be called off because of rain. Indoor tracks are great, because they can be used year round and can house other facilities.

However, let's not get carried away. Derby isn't actually *that* far from Manchester. The Manchester track would be even better utilised if there were more public training sessions, put on at times that aren't designed to suit Estlands/Sport City Velo. For example, Thursday nights have 40 riders every week. But, after the 8pm session, there is often a club booked session, where actually another SQT with another 40 riders would be better.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

What are the rules of a velodrome then? Is it the kind of place you can just turn up to? or is it best to join a club and get some tips/instruction on how to ride?

Stoner
    Free Member

[hijack]Tom, can you pm me, please. thanks[/hijack]

AT
    Free Member

Looks like they are still talking about / planning the Velodrome.

Derby Evening Telegraph

Lets hope it gets built and it’s not another Derby Council White Elephant !!

AT
    Free Member

The Derby Council ‘news letter’

News Letter

Fingers Crossed !!

aP
    Free Member

They’re still being extremely optimistic about their budget. The Olympic velodrome has a publicly quoted cost of £90m, without a 50m swimming pool or a 4,000 seat concert hall.
    And are you ok with two existing council leusire/sports centres being sold off to help pay for it? I still can’t really believe that this stacks up.

Coleman
    Free Member

Fingers Crossed? I’m waaaay passed that.

Already built up 2 track bikes in anticipation! 😯

Just think of all that fuel saved not travelling to Manchester.

Crell
    Free Member

Not sure I fancy a ball coming over the top of that barrier 😉 Here’s hoping they pull it off, but I think it’ll be unlikely. I really do want to be proved wrong though.

molgrips
    Free Member

The original article says it’d be the fourth one:

“To have a velodrome in Derby is fantastic – the location is perfect and it complements the others in Manchester, Glasgow and London brilliantly.

What about Newport and Calshott?

AT
    Free Member

Looks like it will be on Pride Park.

Evening Telegraph

molgrips
    Free Member

Great. We desperately need more velodromes 🙂

AT
    Free Member

Still looking positive with the main contractor been chosen

BBC News

Crell
    Free Member

Still a positive step, I assumed it would get canned outright. Pride Park was confirmed as the venue on the East Mids news last night.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Crikey, a national BMX track and now this is actualy happening? Someoen on the council clearly likes bikes!

orena45

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Crikey, a national BMX track and now this is actualy happening? Someoen on the council clearly likes bikes!

The legacy of Cycle Derby!

AT
    Free Member

Plans now submitted so still looking good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-16412007

Blackhound

Encouraging certainly. Had previously missed the bit about the road circuit, wonder if suitable for road racing?

Sorry to see Queen St facility to go though, I learnt to swim there and now live a few minutes walk away.

New cycle track and a Premiership football team in 2014!

AT
    Free Member

These are the detailed plans

Plans

the-muffin-man
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohhhhhhhhhhh 🙂

I’d almost contemplate moving back to Derby, but then that would involve living in Derby………. 😛

Edric64
    Free Member

Does the UK really need 6 covered velodromes?

Yes if you live nowhere near one .Luckily I live in Somerset and Newport is only 1 1/4 hours away

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Derby Velodrome ??’ is closed to new replies.