Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Derby Jumps?
  • Carl_419
    Free Member

Any locals know of any good spots to jump in derby?

So far the only places i go are the Alvaston BMX track which is good, but made of gravel so falls really get to you.
    And Elvaston Castle, but the jumps are few and far between.

Thanks.

orena45

There’s some jumps in the woods at Drum Hill just north of Derby. I was also told by some local kids (a while back) of some jumps in the Mickleover area, possibly near the BMX track over there???

Carl_419
    Free Member

I’ll have to check out drum hill.
    What sort of jumps are they? Propper built dirt jumps?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orena45

A few decent sized jumps on the main run up from the bridleway, although just one line of 3 or 4 jumps in succession. I’ve not been up there for over a year having moved away so may be different now. There’s also some downhill runs in the same area with some drop offs and there used to be some north shore type stuff too although it kept getting destroyed. Worth a look anyway – try looking in THIS area for the jumps 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

The jumps at Drum Hill were demolished by the landowner due to fear of Third Party Liability claims.
    Although not been through these woods for a few months I doubt they have been rebuilt.

Carl_419
    Free Member

I was up Aston on Trent on sat, some kids (i say kids, they were about 17 or 18 so yoofs) have built some jumps in the woods, it’s a nice idea but i think they need some experienced riders/Jumpers to show them where it can be improved, alot of them jumps have quite implausable run ups and it’s very bumpy so you loose so much speed.

Also, orena45 I ride a specialized P2, so even though i loved downhill runs on my old bike i think it’d break my back now 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Robins Wood south of Derby used to have some pretty big jumps at the Ticknall end where the FC clear felled it 🙁 Still a few DH tracks over towards the Ingleby end IIRC, best to find them at the bottom of the hill, ride allong the bridleway att he bottom of the woods untill you find the ‘natural’ spine/tabletop that used to dam a stream, its about 9ft tall and crosses the stream so you can’t miss it. Most of the Runs feed into that and had a few sketchy jumps a few years back though.

SimonR

Used to be a BMX track over in Mickleover too – not been over that way for a while so not sure whether it’s still there.

orena45

Coleman – ah right, that’s a shame.

Carl – when I say DH runs, that was probably a bit of an over statement tbh! – basically a few runs with some berms and some ladder drops (those that weren’t trashed before). Nothing too severe really, probably still worth a visit as I’m sure there’s still stuff there to play on.

Mickleover BMX track is still there tho nothing like the one at Alvaston. Very under-used so the surfacing was/is loose and sketchy as ****! There is also a small BMX track in Chaddesden Park FWIW too.

Carl_419
    Free Member

When you say the bridleway where abouts do you mean?

Also, my local is the Alvaston bmx track, while i’ve been there i’ve heard talk of something in chad, is it worth the ride to get there?
    I’m also guessing with it being chad i’d have to go up there with a good sized group so the bikes don’t get stolen.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

From the John Thompson Inn,

Turn L out the car park
    Turn R and double back up the hill after about 100m
    At the Summit (don’t go downhill at all) turn L onto bridleway (if you get to a R corner with a BW straight on you’ve gone too far)
    Decend to the bottom of the field and go into the woods, Almost imediately theres a singletrack on the Right, take it and it should open up onto a fireroad after a few meters. The downhill runs start on your left after about 200m IIRC with the spine/jump area (depending on what the FC has flattened) on your right.

orena45

The Chad Park track is very small compared to the Alvaston track, more like pump track sized (though it’s not a pump track), if you live down Alvaston end then i wouldn’t specifically make a trip although it’s only a 10min ride max from Alvaston so if you fancy a wander then you might as well head over. Local kids are ok, you’ll probably get bombarded with “how much is your bike mister?” questions though!

Just remembered, there is also a small track in Osmaston Park, just across from Moorways Leisure centre. Never went to it so no idea what it’s like but again, another option. 🙂

Carl_419
    Free Member

What the Derby City Council’s facination with putting all of the bike tracks in rough areas is i’ll never know :S

I’ll check out the chad track just so i know what it’s like.
    Also, i have a week off work to check all of these out 😀
    So i’ll have to check out the moorways track and post back on what it’s like.

I’m assuming you’re a derby local too then?

orena45

I was until last year! Moved back home to Cornwall after 5 years in Derby. Worked for DCC with the Cycle Derby team so had some involvement with some of the tracks too (only a very small amount of involvment tho!).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Derby Jumps?’ is closed to new replies.