Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dented a car with my head. Helmets – Is MIPS worth it?
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

Evening!

Since I recently dented a car with my helmet covered head I’ve been doing my own research into my next helmet.

In the bike shop I work in we’ve recently debated whether the new MIPS helmet tech is worth the extra outlay. The MIPS helmet manufacturers claim that it reduces the forces transmitted to the brain and neck in real world accidents, but I was skeptical because they don’t say by how much – especially when a POC helmet with MIPS commands an extra £50-80. I know other manufacturers have cheaper but my large head doesn’t allow those options.

The headline figure I’ve came across is up to a 40% reduction in the maximum force of impacts – I thought fellow bikers may be interested to read where I eventually found the info I wanted to make my decision (I’m paying for MIPS). I’d be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Imperial College London Helmet Performance and Design

Pinkbike on MIPS

S Kleiven 2013 Study

KTH

POC Octal MIPS Helmet[url=http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1973/octal-avip-mips]null

CHB

I can see how it would work. I would use it for road/city riding where falling off is infrequent, but likely severe. For MTB I think that I would be worried that every tree branch or minor fall would cause the MIPS to slip. [Though I have not researched this!]

ratherbeintobago

Have bought a MIPS helmet (POC Trabec, though if I’d known Giro were coming out with a cheaper one I’d have hung on as I was happy with my previous Giro hat). I am willing to give the manufacturers’ claims credence.

woody2000

I’d say whatever helmet you were wearing when you nutted the car was perfectly designed, saved your head I assume? 🙂

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Ive got the new bell super 2R mips, no idea if it’s better or
    Not but after landing on my face I went full face and if for the extra price of a meal out I can protect my noodle better then I’m in. I did read about mips and even if it’s only a slight improvement I’ll take it.

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s very easy to dent a car, as plenty of drivers who’ve cut me up can attest to. Vans, not so much.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not sure that MIPS would stop you denting a car’s panel (which presumably results from a fairly direct impact). MIPS is designed to help with glancing blows, I thought?

The standard level of protection is fairly basic, and efforts to improve on that can only be applauded. There doesn’t seem to be a way of differentiating genuine improvement from snake oil, though.

jam-bo

I’ve found modern cars relatively soft. It’s tarmac that doesn’t really give.

vincienup
    Free Member

Rear screens hurt, too

revs1972
    Free Member

^^^^^^^especially when your head goes through them !!

Swalsey
    Free Member

I think from what I’ve read, almost all impacts are not square on so there is some rotation, and our brains are much more easily damaged by that. I’m not only talking about protection when nutting cars!

I don’t think you need to worry about branches moving the MIPS though!

woody2000 – I was wearing a Giro Atmos and it definitely saved me to some extent but given that 5 weeks later I still have issues not a perfect design. Any helmet is clearly good though! 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I would have a MIPS helmet if it fitted and I could afford it. Any extra protection is a plus for me as I’ve had a few bangs on the head, one of which I’ve never regained any memory of, and I’ve never enjoyed the experience. Quite a lot of research was done on this for motorcycle helmets too.

Of course my first line of defence is not to bang my head in the first place but sometimes it happens.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dented a car with my head. Helmets – Is MIPS worth it?’ is closed to new replies.