• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dental etiquette
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Do you brush your teeth just before visiting the dentist? is is polite to arrive with gleaming minty fresh spinach free gob?

Stoner
    Free Member

absolutley.

Always reminds me of this favourite old joke though:

I was due later that week for an appointment with the gynecologist when early one morning I received a call from his office: I had been rescheduled for early that morning at 9:30am. I has just packed everyone off to work and school and it was around 8:45 already. The trip usually took about 35 minutes so I didn’t have any time to spare. As most women do, I’m sure, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn’t going to be able to make the full effort. So I rushed upstairs, threw off my dressing gown, wet the washcloth and gave myself a wash in “that area” in front of the sink, taking extra care to make sure that I was presentable.

I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment. I was in the waiting room only a few minutes when he called me in.

Knowing the procedure, as I’m sure all women do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended I was in Hawaii or some other place a million miles away from here. I was surprised when he said: “My…we have taken a little extra effort this morning, haven’t we?” but I didn’t respond. The appointment over, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day went as normal, some shopping, cleaning and the evening meal, etc.

At 8:30 that evening my 14 year old daughter was getting ready for a school dance, when she called down from the bathroom, “Mom, where’s my washcloth?”

I called back for her to get another from the cabinet. She called back, “No, I need that one that was here by the sink. It had all my glitter and sparkles in it.”

footflaps

Absolutely – couldn’t imagine not doing so.

footflaps

very funny Stoner!

Kryton57

Off course.

During one visit I was at, a patient was called an entered from outside propping the door open whilst putting he cigarette out before walking off the to surgery – grotesque.

portlyone

Eat lots of spinach beforehand, they love it.

DrP

Reminds me of the time I did a placement in the GU clinic, ready to perform an ‘intimate female exam’, when in response to the question of “when did you last have unprotected sex”, came the reply “this morning”……
    Not nice.
    Next….

DrP

coffeeking
    Free Member

Didn’t think doctors were meant to be squeemish? I presume you wouldn’t be squeemish if you were investigating a male “problem” and had to come in contact, or a female problem and had to come in contact with her, so when both are together what difference does it make?

FWIW I always try to brush before the dentist but it’s not always possible if the appt is between meetings, so on those days I attempt to refrain from eating anything that might stick and take some mints lol.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My appointments are generally at lunchtime at the dentist across the road form work, so by that point I’ve had brekfast, a snack and probably a sandwich, and no I dont brush my teeth, how do you do that at work ?!?

chrisdw
    Free Member

no I dont brush my teeth, how do you do that at work ?!?

Take a toothbrush with you? Not hard!

bigblackshed

I dont brush my teeth, how do you do that at work ?!?

With a toothbrush?

DrP

Didn’t think doctors were meant to be squeemish? I presume you wouldn’t be squeemish if you were investigating a male “problem” and had to come in contact, or a female problem and had to come in contact with her, so when both are together what difference does it make?

Surely you can see where one is [pun alert…]coming from when I take offence to this!!
    If you know you are having a vaginal exam, involving swabs and smears, don’t ‘fill up’ on your other half’s DNA before hand! It’s simple honest decency (plus it naffs up test results….)

DrP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dental etiquette’ is closed to new replies.