• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nre.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dent in Trance seatstay…
  • nre
    Free Member

Ended a fab week in Dartmoor last week by doing a spontaneous aerial dismount, resulting in the Trance clattering down on some rocks all by itself. Only minor bruises etc for me, but the poor Trance now has a big dent in the seatstay:

The seatstay is still straight, but there is some distortion on the top of the section.

Consensus of people I’ve spoken to so far is that it will *probably* be ok, but thought I’d just get a few more opinions on here.

If I should choose to replace the back end, does anyone know someone with a spare rear triangle from an 08 Trance (not Trance X) knocking around… A long shot I know, but I guess getting the part from Giant will be pricey…

Ta for the help!

zaskar
    Free Member

That’s not too bad. I would call Giant or a frame repairer of you’re really worried.

richc
    Free Member

should be fine. If you are worried, give Giant an email and they should be able to give you the official line.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Snap! I have a similar size one next to my brake mounts on my trance – done during the Selkirk Merida in 2006. It has been fine, but I keep an eye on it for cracking.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

funny enough i did exactly the same thing but two dents GUTTED.was out with the two mechanics from my lbs and they said not to worry.cant help but look at it all the time though

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Pedalon do a fine line of spare Giant bits should you wish to go down that route.

Having said that, the Trances are tough little b*ggers so I think you’ll be OK ( I know of a DHer who’s used his Trance (4” one) with Pikes fitted for the Megavalanceh … he must think they’re pretty tough).

hora
    Free Member

IMO every dent etc might be different and put different stresses etc on the frame etc etc- what am I getting at? Too many variables. What if a crack develops mid-descent and then the next ‘hit’ leads to it failing mid-descent? Sorry, I’d source a new rear triangle. Just my own opinion but no one knows whats going on inside that area/material now..

nre
    Free Member

Yes was gutted myself, and know what you mean, just can’t look at anything else now every time I see the bike…

Will drop Giant a mail and see what they say…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If you think thats a big dent you should see the one in my down tube, been ridden for two years like it and it hasnt folded yet!

nre
    Free Member

Thought it was fairly big for a slim seatstay!

🙂

MtbCol
    Free Member

That should be okay to ride with. A while back I got rear ended by a dizzy blonde driver and her front bumper proceeded to dent both seatstays slightly worse than the photo above. Suffice to say, that frame is stil going strong, and it’s had a lot more abuse as the bike in question is a Giant Faith. Only thing to look out for would be misalignment adding different stresses in the rear, but I don’t think you’ll see much difference. If in doubt though, don’t ride it!

Rich_s

See Neil – we told you to MTFU 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks ok to me. Just a battle scar.

H
    Free Member

I have a spare giant trance rear triangle taken from an XL 2006 trance 1 in blue if thats any use to you?

nre
    Free Member

Rich – yeah yeah yeah, I know, just getting some further input 🙂

H – the 08 Trance’s have significantly different rear ends, so ta for the offer but it won’t help me.

Neil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dent in Trance seatstay…’ is closed to new replies.