• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by colp.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Delamere Forest – Guide this Saturday
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

Got a pass this Saturday and heard there’s some good riding to be had in Delamere if you know where to look.

Any one out for a right that wouldn’t mind showing round an out of towner?

Cheers,

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

You were misled.
    Lots of the good bits have been trashed, while the remainder is like the somme.

badllama
    Free Member

I know bits, but not what you call “in the know” I’m sure some one else will come a long with more experience, if not more than wiling to show you what I know on Saturday 🙂

On above comment we went round at Christmas looked like creatures from the black lagoon when we got back to the car 😯 VERY MUDDY

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

Well it’s sunny today, so I guess there might be a chance of it drying up a litte…?!

badllama, that sounds good. And I guess if someone does come along with more experience you could join us?

Just looking for somewhere to cover 20-25k, with DH-ish sections (basically trying too late to train for a gravity enduro!)

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

It generally takes about 3 months of drought for Delamere to dry up “a little” 😉
    Also the DH sections there are really short unless you go on old pale, and at the weekend thats basically inviting hassle.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Cheers Adam. Just have been to all my local places (Gisburn, Lee Quarry, Llandegla) quite a lot recently, so was looking for somewhere different.

Back to the drawing board…

ricardo666
    Free Member

Ride up to the masts at old pale, there a nice downhill track if you can find the gap in the hedge.

buck53

Could you try somewhere like Hebden Bridge where the local bike shop/loads of people on here can give you a route?Calderdale in particular would be great training for a gravity enduro, it’s steep enough!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Buck – thanks. I’ve fancied Hebden Bridge for a while so might just head up there.

Again, if there’s anyone who wants to show me around it would be much appreciated.

mmel
    Free Member

I would but unfortunately I’m off at Cotic land testing their finest 8)

tops5
    Free Member

I was at Delamere a couple of weeks ago – we did 20ish miles on mainly singletrack without doing anything twice.

It was riding really well and there hasn’t been much rain since – can imagine the good stuff would be hard to find if you don’t know the place though

buck53

I would have joined you, but Saturday is no good for me, I’d have to work itout of a guide book and I’m way too slow to keep up with anyone training for gravity enduros! 😉

eightyeight
    Free Member

Bucks – rest assured you wouldn’t be!

I guess I’ll start looking at some maps then…

The area round Colden looks ok.

mmel – where is Cotic land, out of interest?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It was riding really well and there hasn’t been much rain since

Er, its been a mudfest… last week was bl00dy awful.

I know it like the back of my hand fella, but sadly I’m out Saturday..

I’m there most nights, so if you ever fancy night riding then just sing out.

As for Maps? No need- and I don’t think they show the best bits just follow your nose its hard to get lost, but remeber that its on a cross roads, so you can get confused when you come out on the road before heading to the other sides..

tops5
    Free Member

Er, its been a mudfest… last week was bl00dy awful

It was riding really well on Sunday 24/02/13 at 09.22 AM 🙂

rick@twelve50bikes

It’s dried out a hell of a lot in there and has been riding really well for the last couple of weeks. Mainly ridden around the Old Pale, Nettleford Wood, Primrose wood area (Primrose was ace last week). Sure, there’s a few boggy bits and haven’t ventured over to the far side of the forest for a while (near the old hospital etc), but on the whole it’s about as good as it’s been in the last 6 months.
    We’re out tonight if you fancy tagging on?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Thanks. Just to make sure we’re still talking about Delamere not Hebden Bridge there? Would be well keen for a night ride, but being based in Manchester and a slave to the Maaaaaaaaaan, I wouldn’t get down there for a sensible time.

It seems no one is out this Saturday, didn’t think the rugby started till 4?!

Mudefest or no, think I’ll play it safe and head to Hebden for a look around.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Rick – again thanks, but it would have to be a late one as i’m about an hour away. Not out an about on Saturday by any chance?

mmel
    Free Member

mmel – where is Cotic land, out of interest

Somewhere in darkest Derbyshire, not too sure but tomtom knows. Quite excited.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Aye, still talking about Delamere..

I live in Sandiway, which is one of the next villages to Delamere, you could always head to mine, and we can ride in? Theres a nice 8km route in from my front door that takes in the old Railway line straight into the woods.

Drop me an email and I’m sure we can get something squared away.

buck53

I’m Manchester based as well, so feel free to look me up another time,I can normally do most weekends with enough notice. Really don’t underestimate how slow/fat/crap I am though!

Hebden should be OK as far as conditions go, tends to drain quite well in my (relatively limited) experience.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Teetosugars – thanks have emailed.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just in from the woods tonight… Was running really nicely, gloopy in parts, but surprisingly dry in others..

Great fun. 🙂

colp

On the subject of Old Pale, I did a few hours work up there on Thursday to start sorting drainage on our old track. Cleared some brambles to make a side route past the muddiest bit. I’ll do a bit more next week.
    It needs the drainage I’ve done widening a bit, the slop scooping out from the track, then use the piles of earth I’ve made at the side to raise the track a bit and hard pack it down, if anyone has a few hours to spare?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Delamere Forest – Guide this Saturday’ is closed to new replies.