Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • degreasing a cat?
  • 5lab

so, our cat came in last night covered in blobs of what looked a bit like ear wax, very thick, oily and orange. Guessing its something he's found in someones garden. Anyway, We've given him a bit of a clean with a wet cloth, but his fur is still clumped together and he's clearly not very happy. What's ok to use to get his fur back clean again? I've got swarfega etc, but I'm unsure as to whether it'd work – would shampoo/washing up liquid be a better bet?

H

wwaswas

our white cat got covered in oil under a car.

I tried swarfega in the bath plus a shower and still have the scars to prove it.

she ended up at the vets under a general anaesthetic. I think they tumble dried her as she was very fluffy afterwards.

try and stop her ingesting it by grooming would be my advice.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cut the offending fur?

markenduro
    Free Member

Dishwasher should do it

theotherjonv

I tried swarfega in the bath plus a shower and still have the scars to prove it.

Ditto. Although you can scruff them and they go limp (some sort of kitten carrying reflex). If you try this, do not relax your grip one iota unless you are wearing a suit of armour.

stumpy01

Depending on how easy to handle your cat is, can you just snip out the matted areas? It'll look funny for a while, but will grow back pretty quick.

binners

tie it to the roofrack and drive through a carwash

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'd be going down the clippers route. Or some of that non toxic citrus degreaser stuff…but Jeebus, good luck!!

theotherjonv

RealMan
    Free Member

The best a cat can get.

pedalhead
    Free Member

CTFU?

Rio

We keep some pet wipes handy for when they do this – our cat came back yesterday absolutely covered in some sort of brown dust and had to be cleaned for his own sake and before he messed up the furniture. As above, best to get it off before they groom themselves particularly if you don't know what it is.

sobriety
    Free Member

While you're at it

ahwiles
    Free Member

i washed the GF's cat by standing him in a shallow-filled (2 inches) bath of warm water and shampoo.

the vicious little ba****d tried to kill me, but i just let him know that there was no way he wasn't getting cleaned, and forcefully carried on. after a few minutes he calmed down and just tolerated it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'd reckon it's some sort of tree sap.

Cougar

I had a similar issue with our kitty after a neighbour somewhere started putting down home-made mousetraps – cardboard from cereal boxes and glue. o..O

Long story short, that ended up being a vet's trip. It's the best option, last thing you want to be doing is slinging potentially toxic chemicals about the place on an animal that licks itself clean.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is that cat wearing Ugg boots?

RealMan
    Free Member

tron
    Free Member

Swarfega is by far the best stuff for getting grease off. I've even used it when I've had Red Dax in my hair!

Padowan
    Free Member

Cats hate citrus, so I'd refrain from using any kind of citrus-based degreaser as the smell of that may well send the cat off in a mad frenzy.

I guess it depends on how much your cats like being handled, ours are pretty good, but I still wouldn't try and get them in the bath to clean them. I'd try some sort of technique that you can perform as part of your usual petting process so as to not make a big episode of cleaning them up – perhaps use a paper towel with a bit of washing up liquid and warm water on to stroke the cat in the affected area to see if that removes of softens it.

woody2000

Neat detergent is usually best for grease/oil. Just wack it on & work it in, THEN rinse with water. Baby shampoo if it's a delicate cat 🙂

Cougar

A cautionary tale on cat-washing.

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/cat_bath.htm

ahwiles
    Free Member

but of course, we need photo's…

(nothing is funnier than a wet cat)

TheFlyingOx

Heat the cat up to the melting point of the grease, and then it will just drip off.

NZCol

Try scruffing it then put a couple of clothes pegs on – let's you free your hands 😉

Daffy

WD40?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Vet told us to use margarine (yes really) worked a treat. Cat was covered in oil, worked the marg' in, it broke the oil down, wiped it off … result, non oily cat.

wwaswas

"Darling, I've got the chain mail on and am going to grease the cat"

is going to take some explaining if the neighbours overhear.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

A second vote for margerine, not sure why it works but it does.

theotherjonv

just don't lose your grip or you'll never catch it again.

MrNutt
    Free Member

VIDEO WHAT EVER YOU DO!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

You probably don't need much water. Relax the cat, stroke it a lot then start with a cloth, perhaps a microfibre one… just like mutual grooming. Until you start rinsing it off with a hosepipe.

Cougar

If you coat the cat's back in margerine, don't drop it or you'll create an anti-gravity device.

woody2000

Cougar 😆

epicyclo

We once had a vicious B of a cat but he was a great snake hunter so we loved him. He once fell into my scrap oil drum and we had to clean him.

It took 3 of us wearing welding gloves and we still got clawed badly. We used degreaser followed by baby shampoo.

Funnily enough he was a much nicer cat afterwards.

Coyote
    Free Member

If you coat the cat's back in margerine, don't drop it or you'll create an anti-gravity device

Or an environmentally-friendly renewable source of energy as it rotates perpetually.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Our cats don't mind the shower too much really, but it's best done with 2 people.
    We just use a bit of regular mild shampoo on them twice a year (they stink a bit otherwise), either end of when they're molting & both love getting combed out at any opportunity!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆 @ Cougar

Flaperon

Be warned that your cat will hate you for about six weeks afterwards. I think it's one of those things you have to accept.

You wouldn't think something with a brain that small could bear a grudge, but believe me, they can. A forced bath is second only to a worming tablet in the cat's mind.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Dont use swarfega. I was once accosted by my fellow employees and cable tied to a parts trolley. The receptionist then proceeded to coat my genital area in axle grease and strip me naked. I was then hosed with a fire hose for a bit more fun. This wasnt normal practice i was about to be married btw.

Anyhow i went in the company showers armed with a tub of swarfega and it was terrible. It just turned my genital area into a big mush of grease and soap which got ever more clarty. I was red raw and getting desperate

I then got a bottle of washing up liquid and by magic it dissapeared.

For a cat i would just wash it in the liquid and then dump it in the bath to rinse.

If you are scared of the consequences then why not put it in a plastic pet box and then dump it in the bath at a suffcient depth. you could even dunk it a few times just for fun 😉 personally i have placed a cat in the shower before (As punishment for digging up carpets) and i did end with some rather nice cuts to my arms, but nothing to bad

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘degreasing a cat?’ is closed to new replies.