Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Degreaser/Fork Oil/DOT 4 disposal
  • vorlich
    Free Member

I must admit, I’m pretty bad at disposing of all the assorted bike maintenance related gunk properly. At the moment I pour it onto the weeds which grow under my garden tap. 😳

How to dispose of this stuff more responsibly? Save up a 2 litre bottle worth and then what? Recycling centre?

Help me stop being such a lazy ****.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Fork oil can go in the old oil drum at the tip.

LoCo
    Free Member

Local tip, you only need a Hazardous waste certificate if you produce more than 500 litres ( ! ) a year.

I have to spend a fortune on waste diposal 👿

andyl
    Free Member

Recycling centre/tip but keep it all separate – eg oils in one container, brake fluid in another

LoCo – how much do you go through a year?

nickjb
    Free Member

Just use an old oil container, when it’s full take it to the tip and start again.

ojom
    Free Member

Sighthill recycling centre.

or drop it in to me and we’ll dispose.

andyl
    Free Member

oh and some councils will collect old oil in your black/green/whatever recycling collection bin. Just make sure it is labelled clearly.

vorlich
    Free Member

Council website say they’ll take ‘vehicle oil’.
    Are they fussy about what goes where, can I mix up homebrew hazardous gloop, or do I need to keep it separate?

Anything to consider regarding storage? Old screenwash container OK?

EDIT: Thanks All.

@TBC, I stay in Dunfermline, don’t fancy carting into The Burg, but thanks for the offer.

LoCo
    Free Member

andyl less than 500 litres, luckily so not so much paperwork, that includes other stuff like parts washer fluid which is changed pretty regularly, that alone is over £100 a time!

andyl
    Free Member

Vorlich – not sure if you missed it but keep it all separate. Any suitable container is fine – eg milk bottles while chemically good have crap lids that leak so avoid. Best thing to use is old oil bottles for oil and old brake fluid bottles for brake fluid etc. Saves you re-labelling then. But coke bottles etc are generally pretty good and are gas tight (or your drink will go flat).

LoCo – you could build a workshop heater that runs on your waste 😀 Do you use a specific parts washer or just IPA? If IPA I’d set up an evaporation and condensing system that runs on sunlight.

LoCo
    Free Member

Both and I don’t think the landlord would like me putting flue through the roof along with the health and safety implications of a burner in the workshop that full of oil and flammable stuff 😯

andyl
    Free Member

my landlord smokes cigars while cleaning car parts in his parts washer containing white spirits!

Renting is a pain, renting a farm house at the moment which but can’t wait to get my own farm to build a proper workshop in. My flat in town has a workshop but it’s leasehold I have to consider the neighbours etc 🙁

I did just find these: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners02.html

but for more heating purposes: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

Will show the first link to the landlords son who has a forge in one of the buildings as between us we have lots of waste oil.

vorlich
    Free Member

Yup saw that Andyl, crossed posts, cheers.

Marko

LoCo – you could build a workshop heater that runs on your waste

Don’t bother. Last I heard the EU were talking of banning them due to the pollution they cause?

OP: Council recycling centre or any Garage will take it if you ask nicely. All garages should have separate waste streams. One of their waste streams will be for brake fluid – in theory, but many smaller places will not bother.

Loco: Sounds like you have a ‘Safety Kleen’ contract? Get your own parts washer and 2X25 litre of cleaner from ‘Deb’ or your local Unipart. Drain off the fluid every month or so and let it stand. Fill up with the fresh cleaner. All the sediment in the old cleaner will have dropped to the bottom and you can re-use this. Worked for me for years before I needed ‘fresh’ cleaner.
    Hth
    Marko

honourablegeorge

I know a guy who’s addicted drinking his brake fluid.

He says he can stop at any time, though.

Cheezpleez

Genuine LOL

oliverd1981
    Free Member

‘vehicle oil’.

Bikes are vehicles aren’t they?

At our tip all the oils go into the vat of doom, so no need to keep them separate.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Degreaser/Fork Oil/DOT 4 disposal’ is closed to new replies.