Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Definitive List of Abba songs from good to rubbish
  • jamj1974

Voulez Vous is their best studio album. Fact!

neilthewheel

Writing a pop song about the Mexican war of independence that’s a pretty remarkable thing to do. Such a rich story with so much context

sure it isn’t about the Spanish Civil? “Though we never thought that we could lose…”

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was never a fan. Mrs_D was as a kid. So when we were in Stockholm a couple of years ago, a visit to the ABBA museum was mandatory. Interesting even if you’re not a fan of the music

Watty

They were always in the ‘charts’ when I was little and I suppose I quite liked a few of the songs, BUT I’m afraid that bloody awful film did it for me and Abba.

CountZero

DezB – Member
    Anyone who doesn’t understand that music is purely subjective has no idea of music.
    tjagain – Member
    You can say you don’t like it yes but to say all ABBA is crap shows a lack of understanding

Couldn’t have put it better meself.
    I’ve heard musicologists dissecting ABBA song structures saying they’re actually on a par with the likes of classical composers, and in fact Rachmaninov did a lot of commercial work composing for films, so there’s not so much difference really.
    Certainly their lyrics can be fairly simplistic but that’s what a pop song is all about, a catchy melody and a chorus that sticks in your head; you’re never going to find Mogwai or My Bloody Valentine or Tool producing a million selling chart topping single, but that’s not what they do either!
    I like all three, and I can appreciate what ABBA do as well, that’s what loving music is all about.

DezB
    Free Member

Drivel

molgrips
    Free Member

sure it isn’t about the Spanish Civil?

I wasn’t sure, I knew the Rio Grande mentioned in the song is in Mexico and featured in the Mexican war of independence, but then lisstening to the rest of it I wondered if there was another Rio Grande in Spain and the two characters were maybe Republicans – but then I Googled it.

CountZero

DezB – Member
    Drivel

What, the bit where you said “Anyone who doesn’t understand that music is purely subjective has no idea of music.“?

DezB
    Free Member

Sharp as a whip as always 😆

senorj

Naughty dez.;-)
    Fwiw I love abba. They played “the visitors”on the radio this afternoon and I had a little dance.

mcj78
    Free Member

Abba are a guilty pleasure of mine, but I’ve never gone through the whole back catalogue despite always meaning to – I swear, if some of the more uptempo songs they wrote were by some never before heard of obscure 70s disco band, recently unearthed in a dingy record shop in Soho people would lose their minds.

I came home one night a few years ago (blazing) & watched some Abba documentary on TV, there was a live performance of a song on it – the name of which I missed and have never heard again – that I remember thinking at the time had the best bassline in the world. The only thing I can remember about it was a line that sounded like “something kinda stupid” and was repeated a few times, obviously as I was somewhat impaired by powerful drink I could have misheard / dreamt the whole thing, but does this sound familiar to anyone? it’s driven me mad for years, every time someone mentions abba it pops back into my head 😆

jamj1974

DezB – Member
    I didn’t mind em when I was a kid. Saw ‘The Movie’ twice you know.

But does your mother…?

RustySpanner

The only thing I can remember about it was a line that sounded like “something kinda stupid”

Hmmmm…..

Summer Night City?
    [video]https://youtu.be/e4swpxuHVTs[/video]

We’ve just had a bit of an ABBA night.

Gin and You Can Dance on the Wii may have been involved.

The neighbours were well impressed, they’ve been banging on the wall to show their appreciation.
    🙂

No taste in fine music, some people……

mcj78
    Free Member

That’s a cracker, however my admittedly cloudy memory is telling me there was more of a funk involved – will do some investigating today seeing as its fresh in my memory & the weather’s guff… they only wrote a few dozen albums, it’ll be in there somewhere 😆

CheesybeanZ

The only thing I can remember about ABBA

[/quote]Agneta’s arse

CountZero

Agneta’s arse

Mmmmm.
    Although, I rather preferred Frida, myself.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Definitive List of Abba songs from good to rubbish’ is closed to new replies.