Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • define being racsist or telling like it is
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Had a conversation today about migrant workforce and how some of them are clearly not skilled in what they say they are. And how that effects the wages as they are cheap to hire and some bosses seem to turn a blind eye or expect the more skilled workers to help them along till they become more proficent.

I know this is only a small number but the effects are far reaching.
    I’m a mechanic and it seems there are a few who fit into the above catagory.

The conversation was ok till the word forigner or immergrant was used now it’s racsist.

Don’t class my self as predudice but cant help but feel we’re not allowed to say what we see anymore.

Pelt me with stones, or agree i just dont know whats right

iDave
    Free Member

Homewheat? I’d love one, kettle’s on……

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Racist.

ton

i would say it is telling it like it is.
    some soft lefty will be along soon to tell you it is racist tho…………. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh no too many sweet things today, I’ll have an apple instead thanks iDave.

By and large, it is in fact the British workers who are crap, they just blame the immigrants for their own failings….

lazybike
    Free Member

Think I might have a milky horlicks….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Carrot and hummus for me please. Maybe a stick of celery.

Bloody immigrants. Coming over here doing work they’re not qualified for.

seahouse
    Free Member

I find my industry has people pretending to have the relevant skills to do the job but ethnic origin has nothing to do with it

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Racist.

You are generalising about an entire group of people based upon a limited sample size.

A few % of any race are lying ***s. That doesn’t make them all lying ***s.

iDave
    Free Member

As a bloody foreigner I have to agree with something, that’s for sure.

TheBrick
    Free Member

By and large, it is in fact the British workers who are crap, they just blame the immigrants for their own failings….

Trying to counteract one generalisation with another. How original.

grantway
    Free Member

By and large, it is in fact the British workers who are crap, they just blame the immigrants for their own failings.

Funny that so far I’ve seen so many Fxxk ups with migrant builders and constant hold ups
    with there workmanship is behind belief
    Dodgy electrics Dodgy Gas fitters, terrible carpenters constantly poncing for tools and
    trying to steal tools when you go for lunch.

Ive even found them living in peoples houses while they tell the clients to move out
    whilst work is carried out, more than 5 times

The first wave where good, what you have now is shit below shit
    And the first wave hate whats here now too.

warton
    Free Member

By and large, it is in fact the British workers who are crap, they just blame the immigrants for their own failings

This.

I work in a large multi-national IT company, and from my experiences the programmers that come over to my project from India are far more skilled than their EU equivalent.

miketually
    Free Member

By and large, it is in fact the British workers who are crap

Racist 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like threads like this. Always weeds out the latents.

Northwind

Racist IMO… There’s good immigrant workers and bad immigrant workers. The problem is the recruitment practices that put inappropriate workers into jobs- and that’s just as much a problem if they’re british.

Friend of mine works in a factory with lots of immigrant employees. Largely hard workers but they’ve had major safety issues because a lot of them don’t speak good english and so don’t understand machine instructions etc. But do you blame the eastern europeans, or do you blame the british person that employed them?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

If you think you’re “just telling it like it is”, or “just calling a spade a spade”, then it’s pretty likely that you’re actually a racist.

seosamh77
    Free Member

More thick than racist. Which is where most racist attitudes come from.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m with miketually – both comments are disparaging generalisations based on race or ethnic and origin and are therefore technically racist.

Frankly, I couldn’t give a monkeys either way.

sweepy
    Free Member

Its right tho, I know a polish girl, works on reception at a health centre, and I know thats not the job she’s trained for- cos she’s a doctor.

ton

miketually………….i was thinking that too.

Spin
    Free Member

To OP

Not racist per se assuming that you only refer to specific examples in your experience.

Employers may be able to pay migrant workers less and may capitalise on that without worrying about the quality of their work. If you’ve seen that happen then it’s a fair point to make.

Would become racist if you suggested it was the fault of the workers or that some general rule about poorly skilled migrants could be drawn from it.

Thats my 2 cents

Cougar

Rash generalisations are bad, mmmkay?

Markie
    Free Member

Sad lol @ sleepy… Hope not true 🙁

project
    Free Member

The problem is everyone now has their own take or verdict on the word RACISM, its always been there, and always will be in certain sections of society.

Not everyone is going to like everyone else,but using a name to brand this dislike of another person, is so easy, and telling someone theyre a racist is also so easy, theres good workers in all grous and some bad workers in all groups, without going down to the level of where they originate from.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Funny that so far I’ve so many Fxxk ups with migrant builders and constant hold ups
    with there workmanship is behind belief
    Dodgy electrics Dodgy Gas fitters, terrible carpenters constantly poncing for tools and
    trying to steal tools when you go for lunch.

Ive even found them living in peoples houses while they tell the clients to move out

The first wave where good what you have now is shit below shit

Why are they living in the properties? Cos rents are too high in London. If they’re nicking tools, then get proof and have ’em nicked. Don’t just moan about it.

Trying to counteract one generalisation with another. How original.

In my experience, it’s overwhelmingly British workers who do the worst jobs. This is borne out through decades of observation, and is as objective as possible. Of all the people I’ve worked with, it’s bin the foreigners who’ve bin the most conscientious. Praps this is cos they have a lot more riding on the need to work hard and get money. Here in the East End, whilst some Whites moan about ‘immigrants taking over’, the truth is it’s bin the immigrants which have shaped this area the most, in terms of culture and economy. From the Jewish immigrants from Eastern Yerp, the Chinese, West Indians, Africans, Indians and Bangladeshis, all have made their mark. In my experience, the laziest and most demanding of their ‘entitlements’ in this area have bin almost exclusively White British folk. Who blame the ‘immigrants’ for all the problems…

footflaps

What really gets on my nerves is all these highly qualified foreigners who then come and steal our low paid jobs because we won’t except their qualifications from the University of fuzzy wuzzy etc etc. I mean, a MD delivering your post and a University lecturer cleaning the office for minimum wage – all doing a really thorough and diligent job! Even being polite and turning up on time. Utterly disgraceful, how on earth are bone idle English lads ever going to compete with that!

Spin
    Free Member

My mate says if you want an IT / computing issue solved quickly, cheaply and well then you go to India. And he’s very much in a position to know.

Just an observation.

emsz
    Free Member

we live in a multi cultural world these days, there’s good people and bad people, that’s it really.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hahaha, we are most of us immigrants or decended from immigrants, if they work hard and have the right attitude and they are also trust worthy, they are more than welcome to share these lands as far as I’m concerned, regardless of colour creed or beliefs ❗

If it wasn’t for the immigrants who have the right attitude towards working, how much less would get done these days ❓

donsimon
    Free Member

Something lost in translation?

The first wave where good what you have now is shit below shit

Where?

miketually
    Free Member

it’s overwhelmingly British workers who do the worst jobs.

Racist.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the University of fuzzy wuzzy

😆

I shoon’t laugh. I really shoodunt….

True though. I worked with a Polish guy; really intelligent, thoughtful and creative. A trained and qualified Biologist working as a bike shop mechanic (nothing wrong with that) because his qualifications aren’t ‘recognised’ by snobby insular stuck up employers here. Getting stick from some ignorant, arrogant thick knobend from Surrey who thought himself superior cos daddy was mates with the shop owners and had got him a job there.

Fair play to anyone who comes to work here, I say. Send ’em over! 😀

iDave
    Free Member

I was a **** terrorist, IRA scum etc. Which of course must have been the truth, spoken by the educated working men of Stoke – despite my mate being blown up into an unrecognizable pile, and my dad’s business being bombed 6 times, death threats etc. But those solid English chaps must have been right because I had a funny accent so I must be just like all of the PIRA and I was in their city, shagging their women, stealing their work…..

They weren’t racist*, they were thick as shit.

*they were really

grantway
    Free Member

Why are they living in the properties? Cos rents are too high in London. If they’re nicking tools, then get proof and have ’em nicked. Don’t just moan about it

Pretty simple the organiser puts them up in peoples home so they don’t pay rent.
    I have to pay a Mortgage like you have to pay rent, Cant afford it don’t live there
    didn’t ask them to come here so why should i subsidise them !

Regarding tools can’t say what I’ve done but on site there is a code of conduct
    which i deal with my way.

khani
    Free Member

we live in a multi cultural world these days, there’s good people and bad people, that’s it really.

This ^…

TheBrick
    Free Member

In my experience, it’s overwhelmingly British workers who do the worst jobs

How do you tell they are British? Colour of there skin? Passport? Accent? Not that simple is it? Perhaps your experience is related to the area you live in? Or maybe its because the sample size of natives is usually larger than that of immigrants? Even in the east-end, born and bred probably out number immigrants and I would not be surprised if whites (if your thinking white = British) where still the largest or second largest group over east London, and if you have a hint of prejudice you will always notice these things more. Or maybe its because of the people who did good work for you came from recommendation, and the recommendation came from say a Sikh friend (for example) who is far more likely to recommend someone from their own community. Even if your brain is not tricking your memory due to your own prejudiced, more exposure dose not necessarily mean there is a correlation.

Personally I’ve experienced chances whom are born and bred in the UK and those who are not, no strong correlation IME, but again that’s just my opinion, made from living in several parts of London from east to west and several other parts of the south of the uk. Opinions on subject like this tend to be biased in way we don’t like to admit, or don’t even realise, and with so many factors forming a true judgement is tough.

Read the T-shirt.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

forigner or immergrant

Prejudiced, possibly xenophobic, but not racist. Definitely poor at spelling.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How do you tell they are British?

By their nationality. Make of that what you chose.

if your thinking white = British

I diddunt say that anywhere.

say a Sikh friend (for example) who is far more likely to recommend someone from their own community

And you criticise me for ‘generalising’? 😕

Anyway’s up. Bloody immigrants, eh? Tsk….

Mattie_H
    Free Member

And I bet these ‘immigrants’ can’t even write the Queen’s English and spell and use grammatically correct sentences right OP?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘define being racsist or telling like it is’ is closed to new replies.