Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Define All Mountain Riding!?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Lol at mr a

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

walleater

Hmmmm…..I won a road hill climb on the bike below, came in the top 10 in National Junior XC races, competed pretty well in DH, rode it to college etc. It doesn’t get more ‘All **** Mountain’ than that

So yeah, it’s all bollox.

I just KNOW that you did this recently. Very recently, yes? Quite the achievement being competitive on that in the last few years on dh tracks…. against modern dh bikes.

If it wasn’t then it’s a pretty stupid statement really isnt it? But I mean obviously you probably raced it dh last year.

IdleJon

CaptainMainwaring – Member

What do I say if someone asks me what kind of riding I do. Easier to say “all mountain” rather than “I enjoy bits of climbing but really live for the steeper technical descents and don’t often do long cross country rides”.

In about 95 I was introduced to this bloke by a friend – “This is so-and-so, he’s a mountain biker as well”.

“Oh,” said I, “what bike do you ride?”.

The guy looked at me with vague contempt and said “I’m an extreme mountain biker” and walked away.

I’m still puzzled to this day as to what an ‘extreme’ MTBer was in ’95. Did he ride the rooty bits as well as the fire roads? Rad, dude.

Having said that, I can’t remember at any point in the last 15 years being asked to define the type of riding I do or going into a bike shop and asking for an all-mountain bike as opposed to a trail bike.

“Oh no sir, we can’t possbly sell you that Cannondale Moto, because you’ve just told me that you are in fact an extreme xc-lite rider.”

walleater

Gnargnargnargnargnar, I didn’t realise that rocks have got bigger in the last 20 years. Anyway, a fairly typical UK (i.e easy…) DH course like the ones at Bringewood and Hopton are pretty well the same as the old courses once organisers realised that holding a DH race down a fireroad didn’t quite cut it. Racing was always a toned down version of what we’d ride on a normal ride. The main difference was that ‘when it was all fields’ the bikes meant we couldn’t go as fast as we do now.

So last night I cycled up Fromme, then rode some DH / freeride / and agressive XC trails on my slopestyle bike. **** me, I’m surprised I made it out of the house with all that confusion. I just went for a ride 🙄

nasher
    Free Member

It might be marketing bull, but a typical UK XC bike ridden on mountains not more than 600m is all you truly need.

but put that bike in an alpine situation then it s limits are reached pretty quickly 9in terms of braking, tyres, strength etc..) then the breed of 6inch AM bikes are perfect.

Also with many “rally or enduro2 style events everywhere then the 6inch AM bike is the perfect machine.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Define All Mountain Riding!?’ is closed to new replies.