Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Deep threaded BBs for HT2 Chainsets?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m just about to try and resurrect my XTR M960 Chainset with new chainrings.

Need a quality BB to go with it, but it must have deep threads as the BB thread in my Ragly Blue Pig Mk1 is semi-trashed.

Budget – umm, maybe £50ish if you really think it’s worth it over a Shimano one. Are Hope any good now, and do they have a deep thread depth?

The benchmark is square taper ones, they used to last bloody years!

Suggestions?

Cheers 😀

Race Face used to do a DH BB with deeper cups, but they all look the same now.
    http://www.raceface.com/components/bottom-brackets/

Lummox

i use a saint BB from germany on my five, they have a longer drive side cup, long lasting and reasonably priced

Rorschach
    Free Member

Saint use deeper cups.Argos and Betd can repair the threads (sleeve or helicoil) for £50-80ish

Klunk
    Free Member

Race Face used to do a DH BB with deeper cups, but they all look the same now.

still get them on fleabay pricey though

bit cheaper

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for saint, got them for ~£15 from Germany, last long enoygh for it not to be an issue replacing them (typicaly 1500-200miles, about the same as I ever got from Square taper if i didn’t bend them first).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Excellent suggestions!

Thanks.

Any others? I’ll probably go shopping tonight.

Northwind

Isn’t Saint deeper on the driveside but not the other?

spacey

I used one of those raceface ones when in the same position with a semi trashed thread and it held up well.

br
    Free Member

Isn’t Saint deeper on the driveside but not the other?

Yes

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Heads up – I ordered the deep styleeee one from Tredz, and received the short thread version. Sending it back….

eshershore
    Free Member

@br

I am right in thinking this was to allow fitting of non-ISCG chain devices (i.e. BB mounted or ISCG adapter under BB cup) without potential damage to BB shell threads?

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the rf ones spare in the shed.
    Proper deep threads.
    Happy to swap for a normal good condition one.
    Tim

julianwilson
    Free Member

I am right in thinking this was to allow fitting of non-ISCG chain devices (i.e. BB mounted or ISCG adapter under BB cup) without potential damage to BB shell threads?

I don’t think so or if it was it was ill-conceived -Bb mounted chainguides and e-typre front derailleurs replaced 1 of the 2 drive side spacers on all shimano external bb’s, so that even if you have a 73mm bb shell you could have a bb mounted chainguide and keep the correct overall width for the crank spindle. so a narrower cup (eg xtr) is no more or less likely to damage the threads whether you have a bb mounted chainguide or the correct number of spacers. A saint cup is less likely to damage your threads but more depends on bb shell width (ie 73mm) becasue it engages with the same number of threads whether you use corrct number of spacers or replace on with a bb mount for something.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

timbur – YGM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Deep threaded BBs for HT2 Chainsets?’ is closed to new replies.